Autopsy AFL 2021 Finals Week 1 - EF1 Dogs v Bombers Sun August 29th 3:30pm EST (Uni of Tas)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Can mods please ban any social media posts of “how many days since Essendon won a final” please
I have been deleting them as I see them. Use the report button we dont sit here reading every single post 24/7 :)

Biggest hatchet job on a team in finals since the 2016 GF. Have no love for the bombers but they completely had the wind taken out of them in the 3rd Q by some poor umpiring. Soft ones paid at one end, non decisions at the other. Better team won and doggies would have been stiff to go straight out but the bombers were stiffed and all the fight had gone out of them by the last quarter.

And to top it off we were kept scoreless in a final for half since the 50s

Just a s**t day all round

This is why I put Cody Flopman as the captain in the AA flopping team.

The thing the AFL umpiring department needs to be told is to not give ANY benefit of the doubt to the floppers. Selwood, Weightman, Shuey, Mathieson and the list goes on. Every single team has at least 1-2 floppers, with some a lot worse than others.

The worst offenders should be highlighted, and umpires should be told that unless they receive a blatantly obvious free kick they should not receive the benefit of any doubt like other non-floppers do. And any incorrect decisions for or against those players should not count against each umpire’s % accuracy.

The only player this seems to apply to is Toby Greene. Time to make others earn them like he does.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Makes a big difference in the context of the game when 2 soft free kicks are paid in front of goal to push the margin out to 2 and a bit goals in those conditions. I wouldn't be doing cartwheels if I was the Bulldogs.
The bombers got 2 pretty soft 50s and another downfield which resulted in shots on goal.

It's not a 40 point difference.

I hate bad umpiring as much as anyone, but the conspiracy theory crap has worn me down.

It’s so tiring to read it on the MB all the time. They should call GameDay threads umpiring threads.

What I don’t get from the conspiracy theorists is what the AFL gains from it? I’d guess if they had their choice of who wins the next flag they’d go with expansion clubs, then maybe Vic clubs with a long drought, then Sydney/Brisbane to shore up the NSW/Queensland supporter base, then big supported clubs with a finals drought (blues, bombers), then maybe the dogs are in a group below that given the recent flag and lack of a big supporter base.

People aren’t going to change their minds so this is futile anyway, but what’s more likely - the dogs play a less aggressive/more disciplined game than other teams, or they are somehow the AFL’s love child when a flag for almost any of the other teams would be a more preferential outcome for them?

Can mods please ban any social media posts of “how many days since Essendon won a final” please
If any umpireing posts are also deleted too, boring and bad sportsmanship. The first quarter was all Essendon’s with the umpireing. Bont goes play the footy, no prior, holding the ball. Essendon play gets footy gets tackled try’s fend off, ball up!! Sick of the bad sports continuing the umpireing bs. If the AFL wanted the Bulldogs to win it why would we continually get terrible fixtures year after year?

The thing the AFL umpiring department needs to be told is to not give ANY benefit of the doubt to the floppers. Selwood, Weightman, Shuey, Mathieson and the list goes on. Every single team has at least 1-2 floppers, with some a lot worse than others.

The worst offenders should be highlighted, and umpires should be told that unless they receive a blatantly obvious free kick they should not receive the benefit of any doubt like other non-floppers do. And any incorrect decisions for or against those players should not count against each umpire’s % accuracy.

The only player this seems to apply to is Toby Greene. Time to make others earn them like he does.

They have managed to do this with Matho. Not sure about any of the others.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hire this man as head of the AFL rules committee!

Shame it got wet, I think that was the biggest difference.

Definitely a benefit for the dogs. Draper would’ve dominated more in the dry, and Essendon’s transition game would’ve worked better. Would’ve been a lot closer or maybe even an Essendon win. I thought having to play our home final in Tassie wasn’t great as Bombers fans would dominate the crowd, but the weather ended up playing into our hands.

How can ppl be saying a 50 point loss was the fault of the umpires. Other than the Weightman push in the back which was a BS decision what else was outlandishly bad? What about the 2 soft 50s to the dons which gifted 2 shots at goal? We sweeping them under the rug?
Not sure anyone is blaming the loss on the umpiring. But the umpiring was pretty frustrating, especially when there were a number of questionable decisions which mostly went to one side. But in the end, we didn't take our chance when we had them, and once we lost momentum we couldn't stop it. A game in the dry may have been interesting too

Hmmn.. oh well.

Congrats to the Bombers on a season where they exceeded pretty much everyones' expectation.
MellowGiantDipper-max-1mb.gif

the last free kick to weightman was actually something off the ball possibly a push in the back that happened to dunkley in the foreground , the umpire mentions push free kick here greater advantage(like downfield)

the last free kick to weightman was actually something off the ball possibly a push in the back that happened to mccrae in the foreground , the umpire mentions push free kick here greater advantage(like downfield)

Back