Autopsy AFL 2021 Finals Week 1 - EF1 Dogs v Bombers Sun August 29th 3:30pm EST (Uni of Tas)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 35 27.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 15 11.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 2.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs mids finally got motoring again for the first time in a few weeks in that second half and really wore down and gapped the Bombers. Clinical work around the contest and not giving them a second to breathe once they got it. Take that second half performance into next week and we’ll make the Lions very uncomfortable.

TiAn_

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 19, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Dogs aren't a top 4 team. They're a 5-8 team. It's only the umpires that flattered their ladder position this year. Didn't you notice that they lost all the game when the umpires were neutral?

Hope if the Dogs don’t win the flag Melbourne wins it. From my own personal experience you’ll love going to the packed GF training session on the Thursday, the GF parade through the crowded city, of course spending the big day at the G full of 100k people watching your team win with your friends and family and then getting around the team and all the other diehard members and buying up all the flag merch together at the cup presentation the day after. It’s an incredible experience.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I dislike Essendon as much as anyone else, but some of the vicarious gloating from opposition supporters is a bit rich.

Most predicted Dons to be bottom 4-6 this year. Getting bundled out of finals is disappointing, but I think most would have to agree they performed better than expected in 2021.

1 win against top 8 teams shows their true form. They were one of the better lower teams and played other lower teams at the right time.

Libbaaaa

Premiership Player
Jun 1, 2021
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Weightman didn’t play for any of the frees like Selwood or Toby McLean. Whether they were there are not is another question.

Challenge for Essendon next year is consolidating on the gains made this year. Knowing the media all the Essendon obsessed personalities will be pushing top 4 all off season which is ridiculous, the side still has a lot of holes, namely in defence and up forward. Too many times a young team takes a step or two back before they are really ready.

Ben Rutten should be playing down expectations like crazy, especially for their kids.

Mocking aside for one moment, Essendon had a very good year by making finals after being expected to finish bottom four. Also, they unearthed some really good kids and have developed a coherent gameplan very quickly. They are well set for the future and will eventually break that finals duck, as amusing as it is.

The dogs just had too much midfield grunt and class in the end. Their forwards looked far more threatening for longer and played much better in the wet conditions. Not sure about the umpiring comments. Really only one of weightman’s frees was probably not there and one was just unlucky timing with Draper. Plays for the frees a bit, but every team has those players and it is up to the umps to make wider changes by not paying the bad ones. Dogs still a major premiership threat if they can get their midfield firing on all cylinders.

Senor Ed

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies
Don’t really think Weightman should cop criticism for the incorrect frees he was paid.

The only one of the 4 he engineered/played for was the Laverde one where he hugged the arm to make it look he was held which is a move all players seem to utilise lately.

All the others were just clear umpire mistakes not oversold acting or anything.

THIS.

Also, wasn't the free given for too high? Not holding the man? I might be mistaken here.

Reagrding his other frees: The Gleeson one was there, the draper one was iffy and accidental/incidental contact - weightman didn't even react, he kept chasing the ball & the Merrett free was an absolute joke. Not sure how weightman gets the hate for those

Senor Ed

Club Legend
Oct 2, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Doggies
Also why isn't anyone talking about Francis' flop on 3 qtr time siren. There was probably more contact in the Toby Greene umpire incident than this.

Dec 18, 2015
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arizona Cardinals
So nice to go to work after a win in the first week! Enjoyed the game immensely. Weightman is an absolute ripper and exactly what our forwardline had been crying out for. Can play tall and short and finished his opportunities with ice cold precision. Can’t wait to see him next week! Go dogs!

lethalsax

Debutant
May 27, 2021
Jacksonville, FL USA
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
They've fallen apart since the Bruce injury, no doubt.
They've looked outclassed lately but they've still got more talent than the Bombers. My guess is Essendon comes out fast and furious and the Dogs manage to keep the margin close in the 1H while they get settled, and then the 2H they'll take over and outclass the Dons.

Sounds like I nailed it!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Oct 9, 2003
Singapore / 30,000 feet
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Eagles (NFL), Suns (NBA)
At least our trophy cabinet is full North only have 4 flags to show in their entire history
You had quite a head start, winning 6 flags in a comp of just 9 teams, before you tried block to our entry into the league. Pricks.

You had quite a head start, winning 6 flags in a comp of just 9 teams, before you tried block to our entry into the league. Pricks.
They also tried to merge with you, but you knocked them back.
Around the time they adopted a highly racist moniker I believe

Back