Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
EBA67CE0-D298-4CC9-9818-AE1E70A09A9F.png

AFL 2021 PREMIERSHIP SEASON FIRST PRELIMINARY FINAL
MELBOURNE V GEELONG
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 10TH 7:50PM EST / 5:50PM WST (OPTUS)

C4C09479-AA41-4EFA-A0A9-D0A4F59D5D60.png
TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM

$1000 IN CASH PRIZES

Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won.

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

TEAMS

DEMONS

B: C.Salem, S.May, J.Lever
HB: J.Bowey, H.Petty, T.Rivers
C: T.Sparrow, C.Petracca, E.Langdon
HF: B.Fritsch, T.McDonald, J.Viney
F: A.Neal-Bullen, B.Brown, C.Spargo
FOLL: M.Gawn, C.Oliver, A.Brayshaw

I/C: J.Harmes, L.Jackson, M.Hibberd, K.Pickett
EMG: N.Jones, J.Melksham, J.Jordon, K.Chandler

IN: M.Hibberd
OUT: J.Smith (injured), J.Jordon (sub)

CATS
B: J.Henry, L.Henderson, Z.Tuohy
HB: J.Kolodjashnij, M.Blicavs, J.Bews
C: M.Duncan, C.Guthrie, I.Smith
HF: E.Ratugolea, J.Cameron, G.Rohan
F: S.Menegola, T.Hawkins, G.Miers
FOLL: R.Stanley, J.Selwood, P.Dangerfield

I/C: T.Atkins, Z.Guthrie, M.Holmes, B.Close
EMG: L.Dahlhaus, S.Simpson, D.Fort, S.Higgins

IN: Nil
OUT: B.Parfitt (injured)

Last edited by a moderator:
QF winners Melbourne have the advantage without the pre season finals bye this year. Not sure the aging cats can get it done for 4 quarters . I think cats can be good for 2.5 quarters then the legs might give way.
I hope cats can at least put enough pressure on Dees to give them some doubt.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
This will be a good game, nobody should forget Geelong scored 8 goals against the Dees last time in one QTR without Tuohy and Stewart to hold off the comeback. This time they will have 4 key forwards in Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan and Esava. Down on ruck strength, but the backline is bolstered by the return of Tuohy who had 31 touches the other night. Cats midfield is just as good. Every media and armchair expert is tipping Melbourne, but i dunno, i have a feeling the Demons could come a cropper in this one? Cats by 26points.

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Who comes in for Parfitt?
Narkle, Constable, Simpson, ...
It might be time for Charlie. He's 192cm and 86kg and he's got a good engine. Might be a better match up for Melbourne's big midfielders.

Good luck guys.

If you win this I'll be on you blokes to take out the big one. My sister is a mad Demons supporter and she's already on my case.

Hopefully it's a cracker of a game.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Pretty confident that if we don't sh*t the bed in the middle for 10 minutes we'll be OK, Cats effectively playing 4 key forwards means every time it hits the ground we'll bring it out. They've got enough star players to roll us and I'm ******* terrified of losing, but think Melbourne by 5pt.

All fair and reasonable points but the talk forwards thing is a bit of a furphy. While they aren’t all exactly Eddie Betts when the ball hits the deck all four of the Cats tallest forwards are pretty handy when the ball is loose. Cameron is very agile, Rohan isn’t that tall to begin with, Ratugolea seems much better at picking up the ball off his bootlaces than actually catching the thing and for someone built like the Statue of Liberty I have a feeling that Hawkins has a very good numerical record for ground balls among key forwards. I think there’s other areas that are a bigger weakness for us

Apr 12, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
All fair and reasonable points but the talk forwards thing is a bit of a furphy. While they aren’t all exactly Eddie Betts when the ball hits the deck all four of the Cats tallest forwards are pretty handy when the ball is loose. Cameron is very agile, Rohan isn’t that tall to begin with, Ratugolea seems much better at picking up the ball off his bootlaces than actually catching the thing and for someone built like the Statue of Liberty I have a feeling that Hawkins has a very good numerical record for ground balls among key forwards. I think there’s other areas that are a bigger weakness for us

Which areas are other weaknesses? Maybe your small defenders but thats it?

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Which areas are other weaknesses? Maybe your small defenders but thats it?

I think our one on one defence can be a bit questionable - Blicavs back alleviates that ti a degree.
Ruck - Stanley has been immense the last month but a howler is always just around the corner. Our speed around the ball can be a bit of a weakness too. The old legs thing can be debated back and forth but we just aren’t that quick full stop

jameses

All Australian
Jun 29, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It really is the Demons' game to lose. Despite the pressure, I reckon they will get it done by 6 goals.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
This will be a good game, nobody should forget Geelong scored 8 goals against the Dees last time in one QTR without Tuohy and Stewart to hold off the comeback. This time they will have 4 key forwards in Hawkins, Cameron, Rohan and Esava. Down on ruck strength, but the backline is bolstered by the return of Tuohy who had 31 touches the other night. Cats midfield is just as good. Every media and armchair expert is tipping Melbourne, but i dunno, i have a feeling the Demons could come a cropper in this one? Cats by 26points.
You are funny Jack, a week ago you were banging on how cats would go out in straight sets and how they were the worst team in the 8 and now they are beating the minor premier by 5 goals to go in the grand final. Lol

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Should be a ripper but I think if dees can win this one their flag drought will be broken. Reckon there will only be a couple of goals in it but I back the dees defence to hold the cats to a manageable score and their mids to give enough opportunities for their forward line to convert.
I think the lack of cats ruckman is going to hurt them against the best big man in the comp.

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Cats will need to change their team up and game plan if they don't want to be beaten for a thrid time in a row this year.
Dees to come home strong again in the last quarter for a 19 pt win for mine.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
You are funny Jack, a week ago you were banging on how cats would go out in straight sets and how they were the worst team in the 8 and now they are beating the minor premier by 5 goals to go in the grand final. Lol
It's not a strong top 8 by any means, Cats are in a Preliminary against a team that got the lucky dip for top spot. They both start even, but on any given day Geelong can turn it on. Their game against the Port "Nobodies" in Adelaide was their worst for the year, that won't happen again. The pressure is all on Melbourne this week...

Jul 11, 2005
On the Road to A.G
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Geelong
Feel like the winner of this match wins the flag.

Geelong have experience in not being the favourite in the PF like they were last year, and put in a professional performance to dump Brisbane out. Keen to atone for last years GF loss. Losing Parfitt hurts but we have seen before in PFs that the week off can cause teams to have a slow start and if Geelong capitalise they have enough forwards that can kick 5+ goals.

Melbourne have been the most consistent team all season, and have the right players in the right positions. Geelong looked like they had Melbourne cooked last game of the season then Gawn turned on God mode and went bang. If there are any nerves in this Melbourne team, you feel they will rear their ugly head here as has happened to other teams in PFs when they go in a heavy favourite.

If Melbourne beat Geelong, it will be by 15-30 points based on jumping Geelong in the first quarter and cruising. And if Melbourne make the GF they will win it.

If Geelong beat Melbourne it will be by 5-15 points, based on a nervy start from Melbourne that Geelong take advantage of leaving Melbourne to have to run down a solid margin.

Back