Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
I would imagine so

PB, some disturbing stats here. Gary Rohan performances in 'losing finals':

2011 SF Swans v Hawks - 6 disposals, 1 goal
2013 QF Swans v Hawks - 3 disposals, 1 goal
2013 PF Swans v Freo - 6 disposals
2014 GF Swans v Hawks - 7 disposals
2015 QF Swans v Freo - 8 disposals
2015 SF Swans v Roos - 10 disposals
2016 QF Swans v GWS - 12 disposals
2016 GF Swans v Dogs - 5 disposals, 1 goal
2017 SF Swans v Cats - 7 disposals
2019 QF Cats v Pies - 3 disposals, 1 goal
2020 QF Cats v Port - 5 disposals
2020 GF Cats v Tigers - 5 disposals
2021 QF Cats v Port - 12 disposals
2021 PF Cats v Demons - 1 disposal

Swans = 64 disposals, 3 goals in 9 finals
Cats = 26 disposals, 1 goal in 5 finals

Suggest, either get Rohan a shrink or show him the door..?

Last edited:
May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
PB, some disturbing stats here. Gary Rohan performances in 'losing finals':

2011 SF Swans v Hawks - 6 disposals, 1 goal
2013 QF Swans v Hawks - 3 disposals, 1 goal
2013 PF Swans v Freo - 6 disposals
2014 GF Swans v Hawks - 7 disposals
2015 GF Swans v Freo - 8 disposals
2015 SF Swans v Roos - 10 disposals
2016 QF Swans v GWS - 12 disposals
2016 GF Swans v Dogs - 5 disposals, 1 goal
2017 SF Swans v Cats - 7 disposals
2019 QF Cats v Pies - 3 disposals, 1 goal.
2020 QF Cats v Port - 5 disposals.
2020 GF Cats v Tigers - 5 disposals.
2021 QF Cats v Port - 12 disposals
2021 PF Cats v Demons - 1 disposal.

Swans = 64 disposals, 3 goals in 9 finals
Cats = 26 disposals, 1 goal in 5 finals

Suggest, either get Rohan a shrink or show him the door..?

I wouldn’t mind seeing him go

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong have had another very good year but an embarrassing loss tonight. Down at sleepy hollow there is a tendency to think the players are better than they are. The quality of the list drops off dramatically after the top 10 to 12 players and you have selectors who continue to pick mediocre role players even when they underperform. Tonight was hard to explain. Dangerfield and Smith played well and Selwood tried hard but we were pretty much beaten in every other position. Rohan and Ratugolea were non events and it meant that Hawkins and Cameron could be double teamed. Melbourne's midfield got so on top that in an act of desperation Atkins was thrown into the midfield and was like a fish out of water. More than once Selwood and Atkins chased forlornly after Petracca as he accelerated away from them. You could see early on that Geelong was in trouble. Dropped marks and missed tackle after missed tackle. It reminded me of the first final against Port Adelaide. And like that match it became contagious and continued four 4 quarters. Falling apart under finals pressure seems to be a problem. You wonder if they ever try to simulate that kind of pressure in training.

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
Where’s the video of Chris Scott’s presser?

garbo

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
13th floor
AFL Club
Melbourne
History has shown that the team that has the "easier" preliminary final, often gets thrashed in the grand final itself.

Port Adelaide in 2007
Fremantle 2013
Sydney 2014
West Coast 2015
Sydney 2016
Adelaide 2017
Geelong 2020

I'm just saying that the job isn't done. They've got one more game to go before the lid can come well and truly off.

You don't know me very well ;) :D
Stevie Wonder could see that Geelong would falter in September, it's a tradition.

I don’t think there is any correlation to winning or loosing the grand finals off an easy prelim, looking back to the year 2000 at any prelim decided by over 5 goals, that team won 7 and lost 6 times in the grand final. In the other 8 either both or neither were decided by over 5 goals.

Both 2000
Lions 2001 result W
Lions 2002 result W
Both 2003
Neither 2004
Sydney 2005 result W
Sydney 2006 result L
Port 2007 result L
Hawks 2008 result W
Cats 2009 result W
Pies 2010 result W
Cats 2011 result W
Neither 2012
Neither 2013
Sydney 2014 result L
Eagles 2015 result L
Swans 2016 result L
Both 2017
Both 2018
Neither 2019
Cats 2020 result L

Tap Tap Tapperoo

Club Legend
Dec 15, 2009
AFL Club
Melbourne
That was just about the complete performance. The media talked up the Geelong hardness and experience so much through the week that I almost started to believe it. And then the game started and I was quickly reminded how much more explosive our midfield is, all in their prime years.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
And Chris Scott just spent the presser alluding to mysterious issues that he cant talk about right now. He would never want to make excuses though, oh no, but if he says anything it will be construed as an excuse. So he won't say anything. Nothing at all.

Except to say, and just before we start, the bus is waiting so let's make it quick.

So unaccountable to his members.

The media is just as culpable though. Not a single question about if he intends to spend another 10 years in the job not winning the flag before he gives someone else a chance to refresh the list and the gameplan. I reckon a bunch of Geelong members would have liked that question to be asked, and to be answered.

What would you like him to say? Yeah we were wrapt when Duncan went down for 8 weeks then lost Cameron and Touhy in the last month or so. Then when our most important player got injured a week out from finals we were super excited it gave Zac Guthrie a chance. Losing our run with player in O’Connor didn’t disrupt us either did losing a starting mid last week.

As someone who switches off in the off season, can someone tell me what the Brown to Melbourne process was? I don’t think he’s a world beater but I couldn’t believe that there wasn’t a handful of sides looking at him
A bit of a convoluted process. Wanted four years at a decent wage (750-800k+ range a year) towards the start of the year, but things were put on hold by him and the club. He then has a very average season in a crap team, gets injured, had persistent career knee issues, had hub issues like everyone and then comes back at the end of the season demanding the same amount, but north downgraded the contract to three years. North wouldn’t budge and his manager then sooked about it to the media and the club didn’t manage the fallout well, which further screwed any chance of getting anything decent for him.

The Demons were the only ones genuinely interested in the end after a season from hell for Ben, pardon the pun. He then ended up on a deal that payed far less than if he just took the original deal.

Long story short, he needed a fresh start and needed to rebuild his fitness to get back to his previous lofty heights, which he eventually did. He would have struggled with us too. Consequently, most north people are happy for him.

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2002
AFL Club
Geelong
Gary rohan: 1 possession 😂😂😂😂

Defend that Geelong fans, I will wait 😂😂

Spend time on the Geelong board and you'll see it don't worry.

He's an impact player apparently.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Congratulations Melbourne, that was seriously impressive…. would be great to see the demons win the flag as long as they don’t cut to Garry Lyon in a blubbering mess

A88B4E3C-58E4-43CA-9FE3-91324D629EA3.jpeg

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
What would you like him to say? Yeah we were wrapt when Duncan went down for 8 weeks then lost Cameron and Touhy in the last month or so. Then when our most important player got injured a week out from finals we were super excited it gave Zac Guthrie a chance. Losing our run with player in O’Connor didn’t disrupt us either did losing a starting mid last week.

Here comes the life long die hard Saint defending Geelong again.

The Saints act is about as convincing as someone saying prior to a final “I think we’ve got this, Gary Rohan looks to be up and about.”.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Here comes the life long die hard Saint defending Geelong again.

The Saints act is about as convincing as someone saying prior to a final “I think we’ve got this, Gary Rohan looks to be up and about.”.

Don’t care what you believe to be honest.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
Long story short, he needed a fresh start and a big preseason to get back to his previous lofty heights, which he did. He would have struggled with us too. Consequently, most north people are happy for him.

A good summary, but one correction. He had a crap pre-season. The aforementioned dicky knee meant his pre-season ended up being the first half of the H&A season after he required further surgery in February from memory. It gets a bit lost in the “Melbourne have had no injuries” narrative that Brown and Weideman weren’t AFL level match fit until near the mid point of the year.

Also, I’m not sure if he was like this at North, but Brown has started multiple games on fire and then struggled to match his 1Q output in the next three quarters combined. He has at least still provided a decent aerial contest.

Back