Autopsy AFL 2021 First Preliminary Final - Demons v Cats Fri September 10th 7:50pm EST / 5:50pm WST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 76 40.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 28 14.7%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 60 31.6%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

If they put the cue in the rack in round 23, last night they put the billiard table on Facebook marketplace.
Haha yes. Cats fans had you believe they went into conservation mode in round 23. I didn’t buy it. Dees bullied cats!

Favourite bits of last night's game:
  • Lever telling Rivers that "we need you going for the ball" or words to that effect after he had given away a totally unnecessary free kick to Miers and was having a whinge to the umpire about it. Great leadership
  • Oliver gently pointing out the scoreboard to Atkins after Atkins was trying to give him a gob full after a contest with the ball resulting in going out of bounds. Atkins wouldn't have got a kick out of an electric chair last night, and what's the point of "sledging" when you are more than 10 goals behind? Bit like giving a send off to a batsman that has just made a double century, and you dropped him on 10.
Haha reminds me off the time Mitchell Johnson gave Chris Gayle a send off after he made 150 odd at the Adelaide oval

There is a time and place

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

willydave

All Australian
Oct 25, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Good to see Scott using excuses in his post game interview

He was genuinely in shock.

i think he knew they were up against it going in, but he wasn’t expecting to get blown off the park.

All jokes aside on Rohan, how the hell does he manage to have no impact in these games. He’s a threat in the air and on the ground,good mark for his size, pace to burn, good finisher and then doesn’t show up in these big games. It has to be 90% above the shoulders.

I want an AFL calendar with Gary Rohan pictured in the month of september
There was a Gary Rohan calender

It got pulled from the market as people complained that September was missing

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I think it’s as much about that midfield reload factor.

The problem isn’t so much that the kids haven’t come on, it’s that there has been zero attempts to bring the kids on. So they get a game here or there but don’t develop, or develop to a point where if they were playing ones they’d go to the next level, but they’re stuck in the VFL because there hasn’t been that commitment to bring them on for various reasons.

What it means in practice is a hollowing out of the list in the 23-26 bracket because blokes either leave or get delisted because they are judged not good enough.

Honestly, it raises big questions about Geelong’s development program. Wells drafting the talent is one thing but they aren’t turning into AFL players, which is a huge problem. And it’s a question for the coach as much as the dev team.
I’m not sure the VFL program for any of the AFL teams has been ideal. Over the last 2 years the ability to bring young AFL listed players has been difficult for all clubs, least of all those clubs pressing for finals and a flag.
I’m not sure the cats don’t have a host of quality kids, nor even want to blood more, but it’s been a difficult balancing act for them and now a reset appears inevitable I’m sure more kids will get played

MickG88

Club Legend
May 19, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Is this the end of Geelong's reign on top, 2007 Geelong beat Port by 100 odd points in a Grand Final and now they were beaten by 80 odd points by Melbourne in a PF. As a Saints supporter I would take 15 years in the top 8 and three premierships.

Finknottle

Club Legend
Aug 2, 2020
AFL Club
Geelong
He was genuinely in shock.

i think he knew they were up against it going in, but he wasn’t expecting to get blown off the park.

All jokes aside on Rohan, how the hell does he manage to have no impact in these games. He’s a threat in the air and on the ground,good mark for his size, pace to burn, good finisher and then doesn’t show up in these big games. It has to be 90% above the shoulders.
Last night he had only 1 disposal which he turned over for a disposal efficiency of zero %. Even the orange boy had a higher dream team rating.

• Lever telling Rivers that "we need you going for the ball" or words to that effect after he had given away a totally unnecessary free kick to Miers and was having a whinge to the umpire about it. Great leadership
  • Oliver gently pointing out the scoreboard to Atkins after Atkins was trying to give him a gob full after a contest with the ball resulting in going out of bounds. Atkins wouldn't have got a kick out of an electric chair last night, and what's the point of "sledging" when you are more than 10 goals behind? Bit like giving a send off to a batsman that has just made a double century, and you dropped him on 10.
Yes Lever showing outstanding leadership qualities. Driving the standards.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 9, 2009
CR0
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Liverpool
The consensus is Gary Rohan is so lacking in football IQ the only other example we can find to explain how bad he is going is to compare him to the 'Carlton Coaching Process'

Absolute, unadulterated bullshit.

No-one's travelling that badly.

Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts
We've got to get over your lot first, but the Dogs beat the Dees last we played them. But since then we've lost our FF and FB. I don't see how we can be favourites for either tonight's game or next week.

Hope we beat you, but if not, I've got a soft spot for Port. That means I'll have conflicted feelings 'cause I'd love to see the Dees break their drought, too (know what it feels like!).
With the Cats out, everone's a winner now, good luck.

Polly

Club Legend
May 2, 2006
In Denial
AFL Club
Fremantle
Also Scott and his team moving the magnets at three quarter time whilst the players waited. Cmon mate, just go and talk to the boys. I reckon the runner with the board had already put his ideas down before handing it to Scott anyway 😄

deanc

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 13, 2014
Waverley
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Tasmania
Poor old Isaac (well, not really,given he had success at Hawthorn):

In 2016 he had a deadset easy shot for goal after the siren to win the game against Geelong, and put them into a Prelim (?). Instead, he fluffed it, putting them into a match against the Bulldogs, but they were still favourites to beat the Dogs and be a chance for the fourpeat.

The Dogs ended their run at four consecutive flags, and broke a 62 year drought.

Fast forward a couple of years. He's traded to the same team that beat the Hawks in 2016. Hmm, perhaps a flag or two at the Cattery? We know how that turned out.

A personal sidenote: In 2016 I had a Hawk-supporting colleague at work who would absolutely give it to me at any opportunity about the Doggies' poor history, and how great his beloved Hawks were.

I had great pleasure in nicknaming him "Isaac" from that point onward :) (EDIT: I'd alternately call him "Straight Sets").

Smith just adds to the growing list of former Hawks players not winning flags at other clubs who have been in recent contention (Josh Kennedy, the exception) - list includes; McGlynn/Ellis/Franklin/Savage/Suckling/Mitchell/Lewis/Hodge/Birchall/Smith, just waiting on Duryea to join them..?

On a somewhat related note if the Dogs lose tonight, it will end the streak of Clarkson and his former assistants winning every flag since 2013 - although even if the Dogs somehow upset Port, I can't see them knocking off the Dees in the GF...!

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
There simply wasn't the time you see..Chris Scott had to catch a bus.

A BUS PEOPLE!! Don't you understand?!

I mean his team just dished up perhaps the worst 2nd half in the history of prelims..but meters be tickin'
Attended the press conference that went longer than most press conferences given this year. Answered all the questions and acquitted himself well in difficult circumstances. But don’t let facts get in the way of your story - it isn’t his issue if the AFL app didn’t load it up.

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Attended the press conference that went longer than most press conferences given this year. Answered all the questions and acquitted himself well in difficult circumstances. But don’t let facts get in the way of your story - it isn’t his issue if the AFL app didn’t load it up.
nup, no matter which way you dice it, that was really poor.

You don't dish up the worst 2nd half performance in a prelim in 120+ years and start your press conference with 'make it quick guys I have a bus to catch'

The Geelong members that pay his salary need to be respected more than that.

May 19, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
nup, no matter which way you dice it, that was really poor.

You don't dish up the worst 2nd half performance in a prelim in 120+ years and start your press conference with 'make it quick guys I have a bus to catch'

The Geelong members that pay his salary need to be respected more than that.
Politely disagree, but I’ll offer that as my opinion, rather than fact

PetterdHoisted

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Politely disagree, but I’ll offer that as my opinion, rather than fact
that's fine mate, CS is the one making millions and one of his jobs is to front up afterwards and be equally accountable in good times and bad.

Should have done a Dan Andrews, just keep taking the questions till even the most zealous journos ran out of things to ask!

Back