Autopsy AFL 2021 First Semi Final - Lions v Bulldogs Sat September 4th 7:20 EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 30 26.5%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 46 40.7%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Gethelred

Brownlow Medallist
Day Off
May 1, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
On one hand, umps in the dying minutes of the second quarter completely lost the plot, and there were any number of frees in the last that went one way which didn't go the other.

On the other hand, reading WC supporters whinging about WB bias brings a sense of ironic satisfaction.

adogsfan5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
So what happens if the afl come out during the week and say no dramas with the umpiring performance? Do we let it go, or do we start wondering if Hocking is dating Bevo?

PenfoldsFan

All Australian
Mar 4, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Hawthorn, Central Districts
I remember how mad I was when the Tigers lost the 2018 prelim and it seemed like everyone on here was dancing on our graves.
Atleast you guys lost to a 7ft tall Yank playing the game of his life, you can live with being beaten in that fashion despite the heckling from the cheap seats.
The free kick count we faced early in last weeks game is evidence enough that our frustrations will be very different as they are for Lions supporters now.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
No doubt a very hard loss to cop mate and I can totally understand your frustration with the result.

I think what you said about Brisbane is accurate. The Lions struggled for form since the bye. Just when it looked like they would take hold of the competition the team began to falter and never regained that consistent, dangerous form.

Your mob had its chances last night through what they alone could control. They missed shots including what turned out to be some vital out on the full misses in the last qtr.

It was an epic contest. Both teams played really well. It wasn't like watching a game full of errors and riddled with terrible mistakes. It was a high quality game. Two desperate but skilled boxers fighting with everything till the final bell.

Again, I get the bitter frustration and it will likely hurt till who knows when. I remember how mad I was when the Tigers lost the 2018 prelim and it seemed like everyone on here was dancing on our graves.
Thanks Mate. I have seen a lot of trolling from Tigers supporters today about straight sets and being chokers etc.

I personally would never go put of my way to troll an oppo supporter the morning their team lost a final, you just wouldn't wake up and do that.

I am actually flattered that the supporters of the best team of the last 10 years care enough to death ride us, must be respect there.

I totally agree with that overall notion, we are young and mentally fragile - I saw straight sets coming a mile off.

It is a horrible monkey to have on the shoulder going into next season too, unwanted baggage and humiliating.

That for me is somewhat offset by the fact we are still in the bottom 4 teams most week for age profile, we were younger than North when we played them this year for example so to this point we are clearly overachieving.

After fagans first 2 years, I said 2021 was the year I saw us maybe making finals and 2022 when we would really challange - our rise to be a consistant performer has come along more quickly than a anyone expected.

So far we have lost finals to only eventual Grand finalists and this year, TBH whilst straight sets is humiliating- we finished 5th and guess what? we are and have been the 5th best team in the comp all year.

We arnt very good and IMO we were never winning a flag, Lions fans know that better than anyone.

So.. is it embarrassing and heart breaking? yes, straight sets is a dooms day scenario.

It is a choke? I don't think so, we overacheived, copped some injuries and bad luck and lost to 2 teams that are better than us.

Should have we found a way to win at home given the chances we had, probably.

But anyone watching that cant say we didn't handle the occasion, we went 12 rounds of enthralling footy and came up short.

Do we need to have better leaders? yes, are we mentally fragile, our big game record suggests so, do we have lots up upside? yes indeed.

We will be going into next year with a Gorilla on our shoulders, that's for sure.

adogsfan5

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 12, 2020
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Atleast you guys lost to a 7ft tall Yank playing the game of his life, you can live with being beaten in that fashion despite the heckling from the cheap seats.
The free kick count we faced early in last weeks game is evidence enough that our frustrations will be very different as they are for Lions supporters now.
Would it help if Stevic was 7 foot 1?

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are not defensive about it, we don’t agree that we had the better of the umpiring last night.

It is a bullsh1it narrative about us that took hold after 2016 and continues to this day.

We topped the free kick differential this season not because we got the most frees, but because we gave the least away. This has been the same for a number of years. Clearly a mix of our game style, coaching and individual discipline causes this, not some rubbish conspiracy to make us successful.

We didn’t give dumb frees away last night in the last quarter. No one threw a lions player to the ground off the ball, English didn’t run past the ball and block his opponent at a ball up for example - that was incredibly stupid at that stage of the game.

I m loving the win but getting sick of the complaints that we are favoured by the umpiring. It is an attempt to diminish that we were good enough to win in 2016 and good enough to win last night. We won because we were good enough. Not because of the umpires. We were good enough and the Lions weren’t. We took our chances and they didn’t.
Mate, when 16 out of 18 clubs supporter bases are in unison that the umpiring favoured the Dogs last night you cannot argue that it wasn’t. We all get it, those 2 club supporter bases that don’t agree are 1. The Bulldogs which is understandable because you all have the red, white and blue glasses on and for some reason Richmond supporters.

When 80% of people are combining to argue that the umpiring was a rort there is not a single thing you can say to change that. The facts are that you guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get two.

At the end of the day though, if you do a poll to see who thinks that the umpiring was heavily favoured to the Bulldogs there would be a landslide voting of yes.

Good luck next week, hopefully Port does what we couldn’t and ends your run. :).

Hoges64

Premiership Player
May 20, 2014
Droop St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal!
Brisbane only finished 4th - at the expense of the Bulldogs - due to some very dubious umpiring against us in Rd 23.

Seems odd that the AFL would manufacture Brisbane getting the double chance at the expense of the Dogs to then manufacture a Dogs win over Brisbane...
Bloody hell mate, who do you think you are, posting indisputable logic like that in here?

You don't belong on BigFooty with intelligence levels this high, ESPECIALLY not in a GameDay thread.

Give yourself an uppercut.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

rado

Club Legend
Feb 18, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
We are all asking plenty of questions. Mental fortitude, mind-set, trade targets, 1 paced mids, home finals record, choke factor, key players going missing, we are hurting like you would not believe.

Why do all you Tigers fans even care and what sort of sick satisfaction do you get from coming to troll opposition fans when your team isn't involved? It's sad.

Interms of Tigers fans trying to ridicule last night's performance on mass (in a very strange obsessive way) read the ******* room.

It was a belter and both teams left everything on the field, we are proud of our guys and the AFL world bar you losers are behind us this morning - there will be no 'heat' coming on anyone as a result of that game.

Yes we haven't delivered but this group have plenty of footy infront of us, we will be just fine.
If your happy and proud of your team losing a final they should have won, in front of a home crowd …….. I suppose that says it all.

As for the current group and beyond, no guarantees because plenty of teams are coming.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We can wait.
To be clear, I felt we got ripped off in isolation last night. It's not even up for debate 10-2 frees in the last 1/4 where ever single contest was crucial is enough proof - debate over. Any oppo fans would feel that way after a loss in a final. You would too.

I get you are the most hated team in Australia right now, silly petitions, being called cheats, thousands of comments questioning the validity of your win, 16 teams uniting behind Port, saying its an AFL conspiracy etc - it's pretty OTT.

Just so you know though, I don't subscribe to those theories - I am just annoyed about getting robbed last night. But.. I get why you guys are so triggered by oppo supporters venting about being slaughtered by the umpires and why you won't just move on with your win, given how much universal hate you are copping.

Some Idiot

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 17, 2009
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cracking game, did you know the result made us the first club to win a GF that didn't feature a Vic club and set in motion the need for your inquiry 2 years later.

Such a shame Lynch is obviously suffering onset CTE, his punch drunk slurring in commentary is a sad look on the game.
I just think you're deliberately ignoring the fact that part of the reason for the inquiry was that they had given interstate teams a lot of concessions via draft and Salary Cap COLA and they were worried that they'd gone too far.
No need for an inquiry into the Vic teams generally because they haven't been given concessions of the same nature.
Having said that after Hawthorn's fast 2008 success they did review the priority pick system as they felt that contributed too much to Hawthorn's success. So when they do give concessions to Vic teams they do also review those periodically.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
We are not defensive about it, we don’t agree that we had the better of the umpiring last night.

It is a bullsh1it narrative about us that took hold after 2016 and continues to this day.

We topped the free kick differential this season not because we got the most frees, but because we gave the least away. This has been the same for a number of years. Clearly a mix of our game style, coaching and individual discipline causes this, not some rubbish conspiracy to make us successful.

We didn’t give dumb frees away last night in the last quarter. No one threw a lions player to the ground off the ball, English didn’t run past the ball and block his opponent at a ball up for example - that was incredibly stupid at that stage of the game.

I m loving the win but getting sick of the complaints that we are favoured by the umpiring. It is an attempt to diminish that we were good enough to win in 2016 and good enough to win last night. We won because we were good enough. Not because of the umpires. We were good enough and the Lions weren’t. We took our chances and they didn’t.
But your being defensive about a BS narrative is clearly making you dig in on this game, without looking at it in isolation.

10-2 frees in that last 1/4 - with both teams going hammer and tong, let alone 23-11 after 1/4 time.

So many suss frees at crucial times.

It's OK to say, "gee we got a great whistle last night" - it happens, it's not the Dogs fault.

There is just no way any credibility can be given to a Dogs fan, straight up saying there was no good whistle in their favour last night, when clearly they are digging in/triggered about issues outside of this game.

gordo2016

Premiership Player
Aug 13, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
The facts are that you guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get two.

:).
Doesn't know the difference between a fact and opinion.

Fact: Dogs defeated Brisbane last night.
Opinion: You guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get another one.

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
View attachment 1226759

Sport is often a metaphor for life, right now I feel like Bazlenka staring at a bunch of low life’s whinging while I celebrate with my teammates.

Also note how when Charlie Cameron celebrates with his motorcycle running towards the crowd oppo supporters tend to applaud.
LOL what hubris from you. This is incredibly cringe worthy.

To be fair, doing the injection in the arm signal and the way he did it with the pause and fierce death stare (which was awesome BTW) - was always going to draw a few middle fingers.

I'd be pretty diserpointed if the crowd didn't, QLDers being feral is awesome to see.

But again - an obsession with what oppo supporters think of you is on display?

Has the 'throw dogs' thing fully cooked you over the last 5 years? I hadn't noticed it before but it's a thing.

Pretending you are bravely standing in the face of oppo supporters, whilst trawling the internet for anyone saying bad words about you and having keyboard wars with them??

RU_

.-.-.-.-.-.-.-.
Aug 6, 2010
Australia
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Doesn't know the difference between a fact and opinion.

Fact: Dogs defeated Brisbane last night.
Opinion: You guys get favoured by the green twits week in and week out, you have had one premiership from it and we will see if you get another one.
Nah, it’s a fact that you get looked after by the umpires.

It’s alright though, you don’t have to believe it, I wouldn’t expect you to.

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
LOL what hubris from you. This is incredibly cringe worthy.

To be fair, doing the injection in the arm signal and the way he did it with the pause and fierce death stare (which was awesome BTW) - was always going to draw a few middle fingers.

I'd be pretty diserpointed if the crowd didn't, QLDers being feral is awesome to see.

But again - an obsession with what oppo supporters think of you is on display?

Has the 'throw dogs' thing fully cooked you over the last 5 years? I hadn't noticed it before but it's a thing.

Pretending you are bravely standing in the face of oppo supporters, whilst trawling the internet for anyone saying bad words about you and having keyboard wars with them??

How awesome that post would be if you didn’t misspell disappointed!

lioninthesand

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 22, 2016
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
How awesome that post would be if you didn’t misspell disappointed!
Oh spelling now, I must have got under your skin, it's getting even better from you.

Mr... 'I am the keyboard warrior version of Bazzlenka doing the injection symbol' 😂😂😂

*circles the middle fingers to point out how hated he is and how naughty the crowd is

samass03

Senior List
Oct 13, 2007
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Oh spelling now, I must have got under your skin, it's getting even better from you.

Mr... 'I am the keyboard warrior version of Bazzlenka doing the injection symbol' 😂😂😂

*circles the middle fingers to point out how hated he is and how naughty the crowd is
You have definitely won this thread!

I’m so angry I just rewatched the game. Then in a fit of rage decorated my front yard with Red White and Blue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad