AFL Grand Final AFL 2021 GRAND FINAL - Demons v Dogs Sat September 25th 7:15pm EST / 5:15pm WST (Optus) Congratulations Demons! 🍾🏆 Match Highlights in OP

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 16 4.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 132 36.4%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 108 29.8%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 50 13.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 33 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 9 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Lampers

Club Legend
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
He wanted 800K+ a year to stay. He ain't worth that, and the market agreed. Melbourne picked him up for 500K+. Good luck to him.

Larkey kicked twice as many goals this year as Brown, and cost us a lot less.
That may be all true, but Brown played a role at the right time of year that I’m not confident Larkey is ready to play (I know Larkey was never a possibility to come to Melbourne).

Larkey and Brown both averaged 1.9 goals per game and Brown’s average game was slightly superior to Larkey’s in most statistics.

Larkey was available more often though (22 games vs 13 although Brown also played four or so VFL games), so the question mark on Brown’s durability was proved to be real early in 2021.

Melbourne turned pick two into Salem and Dom Tyson, Dom Tyson into Brayden Preuss, and Brayden Pruess into Ben Brown. It’s a bit more complex than that, but that’s the gist.

North turned Ben Brown into Jayden Stephenson, and already had Larkey waiting in the wings so they didn’t need Brown anyway.

Both clubs would be very happy.

Sphynx

Club Legend
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That may be all true, but Brown played a role at the right time of year that I’m not confident Larkey is ready to play (I know Larkey was never a possibility to come to Melbourne).

Larkey and Brown both averaged 1.9 goals per game and Brown’s average game was slightly superior to Larkey’s in most statistics.

Larkey was available more often though (22 games vs 13 although Brown also played four or so VFL games), so the question mark on Brown’s durability was proved to be real early in 2021.

Melbourne turned pick two into Salem and Dom Tyson, Dom Tyson into Brayden Preuss, and Brayden Pruess into Ben Brown. It’s a bit more complex than that, but that’s the gist.

North turned Ben Brown into Jayden Stephenson, and already had Larkey waiting in the wings so they didn’t need Brown anyway.

Both clubs would be very happy.
Congrats to Ben, but I don't think we'd really want him (or need him) back.

Club is clearly moving into a different age bracket.

Lampers

Club Legend
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I know kossie did not have direct scoreboard impact but at least 3 of his efforts led to goals , spargo goal in 1st q
And Brayshaws 3rd q goal and Tracs 3rd q dribble goal.
One sees a lot more watching the replay without stress :)
That’s the beauty of Pickett, in his second season with his fitness up even when he’s not doing much with disposals, he’s consistent with his effort based pressure.

wowlace

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 15, 2010
Kewarra Beach
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Washington Wizards
Gifted? Nothing about this campaign was "Gifted".

We flew down to Tassie to beat the Bombers.
Then flew up to Qld to beat the lions.
Then flew to the other side of the country to WA to quarantine.
Then flew to SA to beat Port.
Then flew back to WA quarantine again before preparing for the GF.
Should have finished top 4 🤷‍♂️

timokane

All Australian
Oct 2, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Turning point when caleb dumped gawn on the floor i felt was a cheap shot the dees fired up from then. Was the tinyest player decking the tallest player. Dees said how dare you. Dees tore the dogs apart from that point onwards.
Thought Caleb daniel was lucky not to get reported too.
Was a low act and cost the dogs the cup i think.
Dees ran all over them from that point.

CarnTheScray

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Turning point when caleb dumped gawn on the floor i felt was a cheap shot the dees fired up from then. Was the tinyest player decking the tallest player. Dees said how dare you. Dees tore the dogs apart from that point onwards.
Our structure cost us the cup.

Could see it in the Richmond game in round 7. Our lack of a ruck, another KPD and maybe another defender around 190cm were exposed that night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

thedank

Team Captain
Mar 2, 2019
Meth City
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
West Perth
Apart from that Daniel and Gawn incident thought the GF was pretty clean and played well all night
Agree however I think Gawn went to ground too easily in that instance. Both Libba and Viney took on the instigator role and both played it well without crossing the line

Stabby McGee

All Australian
Jul 30, 2011
Right behind you
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gunners & Steelers
That was nothing to do with anything. Gawn was trying to milk a free and ended up looking silly.
Jackson in the ruck was huge as we had another mid once it hit the ground. Tracc going up another level. Libber and Mcrea ball watching. Bont having a rest (he was huge and was almost single handedly keeping them in the fight) but mostly it was we had a team prepared to do their job but Footscray had more than a couple of players that were hoping someone else would do it.
But even that doesn’t really cover it properly. Sometimes teams get a run on and everything they do turns to gold. There were two periods in the third where that happened and after that it was only a question of how much

Hoges64

Premiership Player
May 20, 2014
Droop St
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Arsenal!
It fired up the Dees.
Ummm.....

Petracca said otherwise on TV yesterday.
:arrowup: This. One of their players literally said it had NO effect on them.

If anything there was a very heavy chance that the Melbourne players may have seen that as their Captain flopping for a free kick and gone the other way. Reported? fu** me.

Credit where it's due, they did not. And the rest is history.

Lavender Bushranger

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 25, 2005
Grogansville
AFL Club
Gold Coast
In reality, 1st played 5th.

Not only that, 1st had a fully fit list and team pretty much (May's Jammie aside). They were rested up well.

5th had their best player with a dodgy knee, a few others limping a bit, and their FF not playing.

It probably played out exactly as it should have really.

Bulldogs have no ruck, Melbourne have the best.
Bulldogs have a lot of outside, uncontested type players like Smith, Hunter, JJ etc.

Melbourne shut them down by simply not allowing the Bulldogs midfield to get the pill.

BartBart

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 30, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Ummm.....

:arrowup: This. One of their players literally said it had NO effect on them.

If anything there was a very heavy chance that the Melbourne players may have seen that as their Captain flopping for a free kick and gone the other way. Reported? fu** me.

Credit where it's due, they did not. And the rest is history.
Maybe it wasn't Melbourne being fired up from it, but rather a sign that the Dogs thinking they had the game under control?

The Sultan

Premiership Player
Mar 29, 2007
Rand McNally
AFL Club
Carlton
I know kossie did not have direct scoreboard impact but at least 3 of his efforts led to goals , spargo goal in 1st q
And Brayshaws 3rd q goal and Tracs 3rd q dribble goal.
One sees a lot more watching the replay without stress :)
this… Havnt seen it mentioned, but in the third the ball popped off the pack and rather than go for the ball kozi checks the bulldogs player allowing Petracca to get his goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad