Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 10 - Blues v Hawks Sat May 22nd 1:45pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yay diving under the doona again..shattered and bewildered ata chance gone missing ...
the true embarrassment should have it wiggly toes and muscled arms and legs as well
as that thing called a brain being used...
it is hard it is s**t not gonna get nothing for the next five years...
time to have a shot of smart

Did anyone watch the replay of O'Meara getting cleaned up when he tried to mark to mark that hospital pass? It was a marking contest and players were on a collision course. The Carlton player took his eye off the ball and played the man. i.e. He turned side-on and braced for impact. No effort by him to spoil or mark the ball.

How the hell was that not a free kick? Is this a new rule? I didn't know you're allowed to bump opponents in marking contests.
We've got Gold Coast next week. Hopefully Clarkson instructs our defenders to smash into Ben King every time he flies for a mark.:drunk::drunk::drunk:

Did anyone watch the replay of O'Meara getting cleaned up when he tried to mark to mark that hospital pass? It was a marking contest and players were on a collision course. The Carlton player took his eye off the ball and played the man. i.e. He turned side-on and braced for impact. No effort by him to spoil or mark the ball.

How the hell was that not a free kick? Is this a new rule? I didn't know you're allowed to bump opponents in marking contests.
We've got Gold Coast next week. Hopefully Clarkson instructs our defenders to smash into Ben King every time he flies for a mark.:drunk::drunk::drunk:
Anything JOMy does he tries hard...bound to be catching the star player

Scrapped out an unconvincing win, that can happen when you play against crap teams, they bring you down to their level.
Take the 4 points and forget about it.
You've been waiting 20 years to be able to say that but I'd advise you keep waiting.

Your team needs to actually be good before you can wheel out the old 'brought us down to their level' nugget. Patience friend.

Lot of Hawks fans hoping to ship him on for a first rounder.

Not sure clubs will be lining up to give a first rounder for a guy that literally has no influence on the game.

His constant wrap around stat crabbing is actually hurting the way they move the ball.
No influence? Really? I thought Mitchell was one of the reasons we got back into the game and looked a good chance of beating Carlton with 10 or 15 minutes of play remaining. He was the only Hawthorn midfielder who showed any poise, used the ball half-decently and ran hard for 4 quarters. Most of his teammates played like chooks with their heads cut off, but you're singling him out for having "no influence" ? lol I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder and how closely they watch the game.

People are weird... For some reason, they get hyper-focused on Mitchell and super-critical of his non-stop accumulation of the ball.
If anyone else played like he did today, they would be unanimous BOG and praised by everyone.

Geez... Talk about underrated players...

Effective disposals:
34 - Tom Mitchell

23 - Adam Saad
22 - Zac Williams
21 - Sam Walsh
19 - Jack Scrimshaw
18 - James Worpel, Patrick Cripps
16 - Jarman Impey, Ed Curnow, Sam Docherty
14 - James Cousins
12 - Jaeger O'Meara

Contested possessions:
17 - Sam Walsh
16 - Tom Mitchell
12 - Chad Wingard, James Worpel, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
11 - Sam Docherty
10 - Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Scrimshaw
_8 - Sam Frost, Ned Reeves, Mark Pittonet

Clearances:
8 - Tom Mitchell
7 - James Worpel
6 - Jaeger O'Meara
5 - Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps
4 - Chad Wingard, Sam Walsh, Marc Pittonet, Sam Docherty, Marc Murphy,

Metres gained:
764 - Zac Williams
658 - Adam Saad
626 - Blake Hardwick
609 - Tom Mitchell

543 - Sam Docherty
441 - Will Setterfield
432 - Sam Walsh
426 - Chad Wingard
414 - Jaeger O'Meara
406 - Jacob Weitering

Champion Data
142 - Tom Mitchell
124 - Zac Williams
116 - Sam Walsh, Adam Saad
105 - Jack Scrimshaw
97 - Blake Hardwick, Nic Newman
96 - Sam Docherty
95 - Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
92 - Chad Wingard, Jaeger O'Meara, Jarman Impey

AFL Ratings - based on effectiveness and team scoring opportunities
22.7 - Sam Walsh (14 in the 1st quarter)
21.0 - Zac Williams
19.7 - Tom Mitchell
18.5 - Luke Breust
18.3 - Marc Pittonet
17.9 - Adam Saad
15.9 - Nic Newman
15.5 - Blake Hardwick
14.5 - Marc Murphy
14.3 - Ned Reeves
13.6 - Liam Jones
13.1 - Patrick Cripps

"Literally no influence on the game..." :rolleyes:

Last edited:
No influence? Really? I thought Mitchell was one of the reasons we got back into the game and looked a good chance of beating Carlton with 10 or 15 minutes of play remaining. He was the only Hawthorn midfielder who showed any poise, used the ball half-decently and ran hard for 4 quarters. Most of his teammates played like chooks with their heads cut off, but you're singling him out for having "no influence" ? lol I suppose it's all in the eye of the beholder and how closely they watch the game.

People are weird... For some reason, they get hyper-focused on Mitchell and super-critical of his non-stop accumulation of the ball.
If anyone else played like he did today, they would be unanimous BOG and praised by everyone.

Geez... Talk about underrated players...

Effective disposals:
34 - Tom Mitchell

23 - Adam Saad
22 - Zac Williams
21 - Sam Walsh
19 - Jack Scrimshaw
18 - James Worpel, Patrick Cripps
16 - Jarman Impey, Ed Curnow, Sam Docherty
14 - James Cousins
12 - Jaeger O'Meara

Contested possessions:
17 - Sam Walsh
16 - Tom Mitchell
12 - Chad Wingard, James Worpel, Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
11 - Sam Docherty
10 - Jaeger O'Meara, Jack Scrimshaw
_8 - Sam Frost, Ned Reeves, Mark Pittonet

Clearances:
8 - Tom Mitchell
7 - James Worpel
6 - Jaeger O'Meara
5 - Will Setterfield, Patrick Cripps
4 - Chad Wingard, Sam Walsh, Marc Pittonet, Sam Docherty, Marc Murphy,

Metres gained:
764 - Zac Williams
658 - Adam Saad
626 - Blake Hardwick
609 - Tom Mitchell

543 - Sam Docherty
441 - Will Setterfield
432 - Sam Walsh
426 - Chad Wingard
414 - Jaeger O'Meara
406 - Jacob Weitering

Champion Data
142 - Tom Mitchell
124 - Zac Williams
116 - Sam Walsh, Adam Saad
105 - Jack Scrimshaw
97 - Blake Hardwick, Nic Newman
96 - Sam Docherty
95 - Patrick Cripps, Ed Curnow
92 - Chad Wingard, Jaeger O'Meara, Jarman Impey

AFL Ratings - based on effectiveness and team scoring opportunities
22.7 - Sam Walsh (14 in the 1st quarter)
21.0 - Zac Williams
19.7 - Tom Mitchell
18.5 - Luke Breust
18.3 - Marc Pittonet
17.9 - Adam Saad
15.9 - Nic Newman
15.5 - Blake Hardwick
14.5 - Marc Murphy
14.3 - Ned Reeves
13.6 - Liam Jones
13.1 - Patrick Cripps

"Literally no influence on the game..." :rolleyes:

And there it is, going to the stats page to try and justify 44 garbage disposals.

Of course they are effective when you handball 30cm to your teammate and ask for it back.

If anything Mitchells crabbing around the back halted your forward momentum. A quick crab around the back followed by a floaty hospital kick.

Another one of the worst 40+ disposal games you will see.

This is the best Carlton can play and they have peaked. To their credit the Hawks fans and Club they have embarked on renewal.
Yes, this game is the absolute best we can play. Not leading the top 2 Bulldogs for 75% of the game and up by more than 4 goals at one point. Or kicking 19.9 against a higher ranked Essendon side. Or beating a higher ranked Freo by more than 7 goals.
It's this game right here. Because it's not like the Swans have ever looked average against a lower ranked side before. Or any team for that matter.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Miss the first 10 minutes,and the last 10 of the first half? Literally won you the game
There was literally like 3 obvious missed frees in our fwd 50 in the 1st quarter. And your 2 fluke last minute goals at the end of the 2nd. Lucky to be in it at all.

And there it is, going to the stats page to try and justify 44 garbage disposals.
Mate, he had 8 clearances (the most by any player) and 16 contested possessions, the 2nd most by any player and EASILY the most by any Hawthorn player. That's having an influence on the game whether you care to aknowledge it or not. I guess you didn't notice any of the good things Mitchell did in close. Most of the time, it's "blink and you miss it" type of stuff around the coal face. Easy to miss while you're on then couch and stuffing your face with Doritos.

Champion Data is often a pretty good measure of a midfielder's impact. Mitchell scored 142 points... WAY MORE than anyone else. Not saying he was way better than anyone else. But it would indicate that he had SOME influence on the game. He had 3 games this year when he racked up 35+ possessions, but scored fewer than 110 points. So high disposal numbers don't always correlate to high Champion data scores.

The AFL ratings are not based on accumulating possessions. They are based more around the team scoring and attributing worth to each player based on their effectiveness in helping the team create scoring opportunities. Mitchell tends not to score very highly in this most weeks. But today, him and Breust were clearly Hawthorn's two highest rated players. (3rd and 4th best overall behind Walsh and Williams)

So for you to say he had zero impact just defies all logic and reason.

Of course they are effective when you handball 30cm to your teammate and ask for it back. If anything Mitchells crabbing around the back halted your forward momentum. A quick crab around the back followed by a floaty hospital kick.
I don't disagree with people who say he gets a lot of cheap, scabby possessions, but I think it's part of being an AFL midfielder to generate some possession through the midfield by doing exactly that. They all do it to varying degrees. Mitchell is playing virtually a lone hand in there. It's unbelievable to me that people want to denigrate his efforts when he is clearly our most consistent midfielder who never stops trying and who gets leather poisoning.

Yeah, sure. A lot of uncontested possessions, a lot of give and go's and a lot of possessions which don't amount to much (the same as any other midfielder). But if you think that's all he does, then you're not watching the game.

Another one of the worst 40+ disposal games you will see.
And there it...

It's not Mitchell's actual game which you're judging. It's the fact he racked up 44 touches and led the Supercoach scores in game which Hawthorn lost and a game where you think he did nothing. If he got 16 contested possessions and only 10 uncontested possessions (instead of 28) then you wouldn't be saying anything. It's purely the fact he is an industrious, busy player who runs hard to get a lot of uncontested ball.

I just don't see why this is such a negative. I think it's people who judge normally players by their stats, but they get a miffed about Mitchell because they don't rate him even though he gets more off the ball than anyone. It kind of brings home the futility of judging players by their stats. That's the real issue, I think.

Of all the reasons why Hawthorn lost today, I don't think Mitchell was among the Top 500 reasons.

Geez Tom Mitchell is frustrating to watch. Clean around stoppages and a great gut runner to space, but wow he is slow pushing back off the mark. As soon as he has a mark or free teams will instantly swarm defend about 40m down the line because without fail that's where he puts it, high and long after wasting precious moments.

Thought with a bit more composure at critical times and if they could stop running into each other, Hawthorn may have got the W.Horrible game, not certain whether Carlton were dragged down by Hawthorn or they are not very good.

Back