Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 10 - Freo v Sydney Sat May 22nd 7:40pm EST (Optus)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Freo by a lot

• Swans by a lot

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

yeah it was both ways bad though in that respect

the 3rd quarter umpire momentum swing would be hard for any club to come back from
Nah. Sydney had their chances and blew it. Freo took theirs and won it.

Not a mark, whistle blown well before it was controlled. We're not going to agree on it but you're wrong on this one
See, now you are shifting the goal posts and trying to argue whether the ump was correct to blow the whistle midway thru Bud taking 4 bites.

We were talking about Derm's supposedly moronic comment "he never secured the ball in his grasp but he had control"

Like I said, four bites of the cherry has always been good enough for the umps if you demonstrate control like Buddy did while standing tall, both feet planted, and not falling over.

It was a mark every day of the week.

How long have you been watching footy for?

Think you might need to go check the rules before you jump down my throat
AFL LAWS: 15. MARKING THE FOOTBALL

15.1 DEFINITION
A Mark is taken if, in the opinion of the field Umpire, a Player catches or takes control of the football:
  1. (a) within the Playing Surface;
  2. (b) after it has been Kicked by another Player a distance of at least 15 metres; and
  3. (c) which has not touched the ground or been touched by another Player.

See, the written laws even back up exactly what Dermie said. You need to catch the ball OR take control of it. (Not the same thing!)
The rules specifically make allowances for players who juggle the ball within their control.

You don't even know the rules of the game and you question other people who do... :drunk::drunk::drunk:

See, now you are shifting the goal posts and trying to argue whether the ump was correct to blow the whistle midway thru Bud taking 4 bites.

We were talking about Derm's supposedly moronic comment "he never secured the ball in his grasp but he had control"

Like I said, four bites of the cherry has always been good enough for the umps if you demonstrate control like Buddy did while standing tall, both feet planted, and not falling over.

It was a mark every day of the week.

How long have you been watching footy for?

What the * are you on about? I'm not arguing when it was correct for it was to be paid, that why it was bloody paid at all! Didn't control it when the Ump stopped the play at the 2nd juggle. Standing tall? Man was stumbling back trying to hold on!

If every attempted mark like that was paid then it'll be netball instead. As for Derm's comments? He's got a great ability to say one thing and end up contradicting what he's just previously said by the end of his sentence. But let's just listen to the 3rd of the booth that matches your opinion.

Anyway always good to see a tight finish, Sydney should bounce back next week.

15.1 DEFINITION
A Mark is taken if, in the opinion of the field Umpire, a Player catches or takes control of the football:
  2. (b) after it has been Kicked by another Player a distance of at least 15 metres; and

See, the written laws even back up exactly what Dermie said. You need to catch the ball OR take control of it. (Not the same thing!)
The rules specifically make allowances for players who juggle the ball within their control.

You don't even know the rules of the game and you question other people who do... :drunk::drunk::drunk:
so (c) there says it wasnt since there was another little touch inbetween the juggles, thanks for clarifying.

Disgraceful umpiring, worst part of watching AFL, no consistency and constant bias to certain players and/or teams.

Glad we got the points, schultz should have put it away in that last minute or two, surprised he went for a regular drop punt intstead of lining up side on for the snap.

so (c) there says it wasnt since there was another little touch inbetween the juggles, thanks for clarifying.
Nah, incidental little touches by the tips of the defender's fingers have never counted

There's gotta be a noticeable decent bite by the defender for the ump to call play on according to rule 15.1 (c)

Jeez Smeggy... How long have you watching footy for?

15.1 DEFINITION

Buddy never had control of it, a juggle never gets paid unless they have a firm clamp on it for at least a split moment, which buddy did not.
Get off your high horse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Disgraceful umpiring, worst part of watching AFL, no consistency and constant bias to certain players and/or teams.
Agree with this.

Disputes over Buddy's clear mark aside, he got a charity free kick for his 4th or 5th goal.

The Swans have been getting an armchair ride from the umps every week. They play by different rules to most teams. They seem to have carte-blanche to tackle as hard & recklessly as they like without ever being penalised for in the back.

I quite like watching their games because the umps always let it go, which usually makes for a tough, absorbing contest. But it also makes me puke when I think of the constant ticky-tack frees paid against my team every week. I just wish umps would be consistent about applying the rules to all players & teams.

Last edited:
Not sure I've seen 3 more blatant free kicks not paid then the ones I saw tonight - all 3 (not) to Rory Lobb

He must have shat in the umpires change rooms before the game or something.

The difference in treatment between him and Buddy was disgraceful.

Buddy even got to set his own mark two metres behind where he marked it while the ump meekly agreed with a 'yes sir, would you like me to jump sir, how high sir?'.

Agree with this.

Disputes over Buddy's clear mark aside, he got a charity free kick for his 4th or 5th goal.

The Swans have been getting an armchair ride from the umps every week. They play by different rules to most teams. They seem to have carte-blanche to tackle as hard & recklessly as they like without ever being penalised for in the back.

I quite like watching their games because the umps always let it go, which usually makes for a tough, absorbing contest. But it also makes me puke when I think of the constant ticky-tack frees paid against my team every week. I just wish umps would be consistent about applying the rules to all players & teams.

So much bitter saltiness coming from Hawks supporters this year.

Back