Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 12 Dreamtime - Essendon v Richmond Sat June 5th 7:40pm EST/5:40pm WST (Optus Stadium) Tigercast And Bombers Podcast Links in OP!

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kudos to Essendon. They started poorly and then made adjustments which brought them into the game. They were down rotations and ran out of legs in the end. They are tracking well with youth that are invested in their future. Although we won comfortably in the end, we played very poorly for most of the game. Our kicking was about as poor as I've seen all year. We missed targets by a long way even when not under any pressure which I felt kept Essendon in the game. We need to play much better than that if we are to threaten again this year. The big difference with us though is that we all know that these players can actually hit targets and put on pressure. It's not an ability thing. They are just not sharp at this time of the year. If we can get to that point in our game and we are in the 8 come finals, we will be a threat. If we can't sharpen our game though, we won't be there when it counts.

Who here enjoyed the half time show? I wasn't familiar with Ziggy Ramo but I'm always open minded to hearing new music. Rather than singing, it's more like rap/spoken word over the tune of Paul Kelly's "Little Things"

HOWEVER I did get the feeling that lyrics perhaps brought the mood down a bit. He was still going when they bounced the ball to begin the third quarter, which gave me the impression of being done in some manner of protest, given the content.

In my view it would be best to keep the politics away from game day, even during the indigenous round. Yes, I understand the artists's motivation to want to make people feel uncomfortable, and this is admirable in many respects. The lyrics cover capt. cook, colonialism, genocide, indigenous australian deaths in custody, stolen generation, power and privilege, stolen land, with the line "This is the story of so called Australia". I googled Ziggy Ramo when I got home and learned about his other song which criticizes Australian culture for remembering the Anzacs more than we remember the mistreatment of "blacks" (his words), in efforts to campaign to cancel Australia day remembrance on January 26.

With that said - I loved watching a brilliant game of footy, loved the dreamtime match, i've been to several and they are always a ripper, loved the pregame and other performances.

Celebrate indigenous brilliance, celebrate indigenous culture, nurture it and spread it, teach it to all the people!

Just my thoughts, from a so-called Australian.
It had a finals vibe about it last night,RFC went into another gear when Essendon hit the front,was amazing to watch,probably the best 7 mins of footy any team has played this year but also puts us in hunted mode even more,Hocking probably made up some more rules to stop us last night.

And pat steve garrett hawaii five-oh mcdonagh for next year....
It’s a great time to be a Tiger,wish covid would eff off.
#weareeveryonesgrandfinal even more after last night,media complaining about the umpires massively which they are normally subdued on,all because Richmond won.

Parish clearly best on, Tigers clearly a more even team.
Umpiring slightly favoured Tigers but far from as one sided as the hysterical would have us believe.
Bombers young brigade will hold them in good stead for the next decade but they desperately need a decent KPD.
All in all a bloody good game and kudos to the Perth public.
All academic as Melbourne have already won the 2021 flag... apparently.

Did anyone mention why the surface was so bad?

Players were falling over all over the place and McGrath injuring his knee as the ground gave way under him.

Hardwick was asked and said he was happy with the ground and it's a great venue etc. Started talking about players not wearing the right boots. But I'm sure he's been chastened by the fallout from his Marvel comments and something will be said behind the scenes. It wasn't acceptable for an AFL game and you can guarantee it won't be greasy and shifty next week.

Parish clearly best on, Tigers clearly a more even team.
Umpiring slightly favoured Tigers but far from as one sided as the hysterical would have us believe.
Bombers young brigade will hold them in good stead for the next decade but they desperately need a decent KPD.
Agree. We desperately need someone to replace Hurley ASAP. We couldnt afford to lose a player of his calibre and experience after losing Saad, Daniher, McKenna and Fantasia

Agree. We desperately need someone to replace Hurley ASAP. We couldnt afford to lose a player of his calibre and experience after losing Saad, Daniher, McKenna and Fantasia

Lost them?

I’m sure the Essendon Football department gave up on them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I do think last night was the worst interpretation and non call of HTB I've ever seen. And there were examples from both teams but there were certainly some howlers that went in our favour.

It's like the rule didn't exist last night.
didnt influence the result, but it was certainly very frustrating. If we are going to blame anything it's our inability to convert easy chances in front of goal

Essendon came into the year with a thin midfield and have been smashed by injuries in that area for this game

Would have the midfield depth chart as:

Merrett
Parish
Shiel (inj)
McGrath (inj)
Caldwell (inj)
Smith (inj)
Langford
Snelling (inj)
Zaharakis (inj)

We were forced to play Perkins and Hind through the midfield today who have no experience as AFL mids.
Most of these guys wouldn't make Richmond's rookie list buy okay.

Will Snelling? Lol, that's a Richmond VFL player if I've ever seen one.

Zakarakis? Been useless for 5 years.

Smith? One good season, unsighted since.

Caldwell? Never established a spot in the side to be felt as a loss and was a turnover merchant.

McGrath? Eh, I'll give you one.

Shiel? Better without him, he is the worst kick in the comp.

Parish? He has emerged as a genuine gun after you stopped pumping midfield time into hacks like Shiel and Smith.

Merrett? Gun.

So your midfield has actually gotten better after all those outs, you discovered Parish and the GWSpuds aren't their to turn it over. No wonder you won three in a row until reality kicked in that you're Richmond Lite and the Essendon Bunnies

Most of these guys wouldn't make Richmond's rookie list buy okay.

Will Snelling? Lol, that's a Richmond VFL player if I've ever seen one.

Zakarakis? Been useless for 5 years.

Smith? One good season, unsighted since.

Caldwell? Never established a spot in the side to be felt as a loss and was a turnover merchant.

McGrath? Eh, I'll give you one.

Shiel? Better without him, he is the worst kick in the comp.

Parish? He has emerged as a genuine gun after you stopped pumping midfield time into hacks like Shiel and Smith.

Merrett? Gun.

So your midfield has actually gotten better after all those outs, you discovered Parish and the GWSpuds aren't their to turn it over. No wonder you won three in a row until reality kicked in that you're Richmond Lite and the Essendon Bunnies

This isn’t Bay 13.

Besides the point of my post wasn’t to say that we were missing quality. It was to say we’ve run out of midfielders on our list due to injuries.

Regardless of how good you actually think the Essendon equivalents are how would Richmond go without their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th best midfielders.

Please read this post twice before you respond as you clearly struggle with reading comprehension.

This isn’t Bay 13.

Besides the point of my post wasn’t to say that we were missing quality. It was to say we’ve run out of midfielders on our list due to injuries.

Regardless of how good you actually think the Essendon equivalents are how would Richmond go without their 3rd, 4th, 5th, 7th and 8th best midfielders.

Thats been Richmond all year?

You do realise Richmond were without Edwards, Prestia, Bolton, Cotchin, Lambert for the past month?

And these aren't just names on paper, they're premiership champions.

Like I said, Richmond discovered Shai Bolton last year when injuries hit, this year essendon discovered Darcy Parish. He is the best player to emerge from essendon in a long time.

Whether you wanna hear it or not, Shiel, Smith, etc need to go. Build the midfield around Merrtt, McGrath, Parish and try to genuinely build some of your own stars from underneath. Essendon has been exciting since they drafted Cox, Perkins, etc.

Poaching GWS picks has set the club back, this last draft has given them Port Adelaide feels, rejuvenation.

So yeah, when you point to all your outs, I just see a bunch of s**t Kents who made way for a genuine gun to emerge. It's exciting, but for essendon to make finals, you gotta give a flick to this mentality of picking up other team rejects every trade period. Just try to draft your own, it worked so well this year.

Richmond was the better team, but I'm pretty happy with how we played. We are missing a plethora of midfield options at the moment (Shiel, Caldwell, Smith, Clarke, Cutler) meaning we put a medium-tall as medical sub, which bit us hard when McGrath was injured early. Despite that, we fought tooth and nail to stay in it, and actually got our noses in front.

Richmond then went up a gear, and between being down a midfield rotation all night plus Zaharakis injury so down a second, we struggled and then collapsed. Obviously, the end wasn't pretty. But if we'd taken our chances in front of goal, and a bit less umpiring stuff ups, it would have been a lot closer.

The pleasing thing for EFC supporters was that it was really our bottom 6-8 contributors which were the problem. Which will hopefully be fixed over the next few drafts, and as kids progress. A lot easier to fix that than to try and fix a dearth of top end talent. Plus everyone knowing the gameplan better.

3 direct goal assists to none and 10 score involvements to six. Parish was better.
Parish was pretty awesome IMHO.
His reaction was interesting. My impression was that he was a bit emotional and physically exhausted after his BOG performance.
What a game from the young fella!

We went down to Richmond. Many had us tipped as the Wooden Spooner this year.

I was at both games, I wasn't bagging you or Ess mate, it was definitely the difference in both games (almost). WCE were cooked last week and you guys dominated. You guys looked good, dangerous when you went forward and Parish is clearance machine, reads it so well!

Bolton was the gamechanger, richmond had very little crowd support all night but when Bolton fired, the crowd lifted for the Tiges, once that happened and Ess tired it was game over.(i've been a tiges supporter since i was a kid, it was great to wear my woollen long sleave guernsey, in my own state as Tiges supporter, but it goes back in the drawer next weekend). Essendon had great support all night (surprising after last weekend), especially when Tippa danced around to set up a goal. When Ess hit the front i felt they would go on to win.

Nonetheless, it was great to be at and to have West Aussies at footy in a non bias atmosphere. Loved it, it sucks it wasn't on your home deck, so i hope we did all we could to support both sides in a tough situation we certainly appreciated the opportunity to host Dreamtime!

Nonetheless, it was great to be at and to have West Aussies at footy in a non bias atmosphere. Loved it, it sucks it wasn't on your home deck, so i hope we did all we could to support both sides in a tough situation we certainly appreciated the opportunity to host Dreamtime!
TBH I would be happy if it went all around Australia

Back