Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 12 Dreamtime - Essendon v Richmond Sat June 5th 7:40pm EST/5:40pm WST (Optus Stadium) Tigercast And Bombers Podcast Links in OP!

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 7 9.6%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 28.8%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 14 19.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Bombers seem to be getting a lot media attention and hype this week - have they finally arrived?

Looking at the last 6-7 games, I'm not sure the hype is justified - they've won the last 3 against Dockers, North and they overran a depleted WCE side - before that they lost to Giants, Carlton, Brisbane but did manage to win against the Pies - hardly great form - just a very soft draw. I've got them as a middle of the road team with some nice emerging first year talent that may start to slow down as the season wears on and quite a few mediocre players across all lines.

Contrast to the Tigers - whose draw has seen them play all of the Top 4 in the last 6 weeks. I put the Tigers just above the Dons as a lower top 8 side so I think it'll be close but with the Tigers having their starting mids back now should win.
Richmond should be favourites and should win comfortably, but it's hardly been an easy start to the season for us. You have to look at the fact that this will be our 6th interstate game for the year with only 6 games in Melbourne. To put it into perspective, none of the non-vic teams have travelled more than us.

A lot is said about West Coast's injuries (Kelly and Allen) last week, but we had Francis and Wright withdrawn before the game. That's on top of Draper, Shiel, Hurley, Smith and Caldwell missing + Stringer being underdone.

Whilst you guys did play the top 4 teams, you played them all at the MCG (your home ground) except Brisbane at the Gabba. In fact, that Brisbane game was only your second interstate game. I think travel evens out opponent difficulty.

Richmond should be favourites and should win comfortably, but it's hardly been an easy start to the season for us. You have to look at the fact that this will be our 6th interstate game for the year with only 6 games in Melbourne. To put it into perspective, none of the non-vic teams have travelled more than us.

A lot is said about West Coast's injuries (Kelly and Allen) last week, but we had Francis and Wright withdrawn before the game. That's on top of Draper, Shiel, Hurley, Smith and Caldwell missing + Stringer being underdone.

Whilst you guys did play the top 4 teams, you played them all at the MCG (your home ground) except Brisbane at the Gabba. In fact, that Brisbane game was only your second interstate game. I think travel evens out opponent difficulty.
Will be interesting to see how it plays out - I think it'll be close.

It'll be hard to gauge either side after the game no matter what the result as there have been so many external factors and disruptions through the week.

cant win if castagnas not getting dropped,poor form deserves a stint in the magoos,Dimma WTF ?
drop a kid who kicked 2 last week and coming up against a young opponent in Essendon is the perfect time to get
ya eye in,your jets adjusted,wasted opportunity and bad call imo

Should be an excellent spectacle, really looking forward to the atmosphere of this one.

The Bombers have been playing well but come on, Richmond should have no problems dispatching them anywhere this game is played.
8 weeks from now maybe, but you have to respect current form. Richmond are far from their best and keep alternating wins and losses, while the Bombers have won 3 in a row and probably had their best win of the season last week., the loss before that was only 2 points too.

Tigers will get up in this game, professional unit, and aren't the reigning premiers for nothing.
Having said that very happy with the way we're traveling and hope we can stay competitive for the most part and keep it to within 2-3 goals. The game against WC last week would've taken a fair bit out of our boys.

Tip - Tigers by 19 points.

Fully expect the bombers fans to drown out the Richmond supporters, the voice of affirmation at OPTUS will continue.
They will drown out the Tigrr fans up until the Tigers get on top in the contest, then they may go quiet! I think the Bomber fans will be outnumbering Tiger fans comfortably tomorrow night. They’re coming from everywhere.

Essendon won last week game against last years final 5 team, who haven’t been beaten by anyone on their home ground (6 goal winning margin avg). Tigers last week won against last years wooden spooners in a comeback win! Tigers have No Nank, players returning after weeks off, travel.
Just saying!

Essendon won last week game against last years final 5 team, who haven’t been beaten by anyone on their home ground (6 goal winning margin avg). Tigers last week won against last years wooden spooners in a comeback win! Tigers have No Nank, players returning after weeks off, travel.
Just saying!

They've also won 3 of the last 4 premierships. And we haven't beaten them for the best part of 7 years.

Just saying!

Not sure how Essendon beating Richmond in like 1928 is relevant in the current day. But OK...
Exactly, my original post highlights the advantages I feel we have and why I think we are a good chance in this game. You brought up the obvious recent history, but thats all it is. Dons are in with a big chance.

Just saying!!

Just got a ticket, absolutely stoked. Never get to go to a game as a neutral where I can just enjoy the spectacle. Add the long walk and another 50k people looking to just enjoy the show - damn it's like a festival.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just got a ticket, absolutely stoked. Never get to go to a game as a neutral where I can just enjoy the spectacle. Add the long walk and another 50k people looking to just enjoy the show - damn it's like a festival.
So jealous.
I should be in Melbourne tonight partying with all my old crew, anticipating tomorrow. Not just the game but the whole thing.
I'm so glad others get to enjoy it. It looks like Perth is making a real event of it. I hope you have great time.

cant win if castagnas not getting dropped,poor form deserves a stint in the magoos,Dimma WTF ?
drop a kid who kicked 2 last week and coming up against a young opponent in Essendon is the perfect time to get
Unfortunately he won’t Drop George a and rioli at the same time.......yet

This is a massive tick for the WA footy fans the way they have embraced it. Proves the GF should have been there last year. True footy state, unlike the crowd debacle in NSW last night.

TBH, looking forward to tonight more than I would if it was at the G, a real buzz about it.

Unfortunately he won’t Drop George a and rioli at the same time.......yet
hes gone soft,no edge and stubborn.refused to play 3 talls in the fwd line and a proper chop out for nank first 10 games and he,hardwick, more than the team,
got wiped 4 times by excellent oppo coaching incl exposing so called specialty space closes such as Castagna and Rioli for theyre lack of skill with ball in hand
if you look at melbourne last night its about elite foot and hand skills f***k this guarding space drivel and f***k this bubkas part time relief ruck
garbage,Hardwicks taken an eternity to get with the programme this year,i have faith that he can read the crystals and adjust accordingly,hes done it before
all credit to him.frustrating as it is,cmon tiges.

Which Essendon turns up? Will they race out the blocks and jump the Tiges like a few other teams have this year? I like the young Dons talls, and the whole team has a bit of verve. They'll set themselves for this game, especially as there are some richmondesque idiosynchrosies about them.

Tiges look a bit short, and Nankervis out is a blow because he usually gets about the ground to equalise height contests. Chol is a concern, I have hoped he would manifest the potential but I am not sure if he has the ticker for AFL.

Tiges still leaking too many goals, unable to consistently choke oppo this year. They seem to be playing catch up a lot and that strategy will never sustain itself. They need to get back to their defensive best, and Astbury is still a big loss as even if not playing well he balances the defensive mix against taller timber.

I reckon Dons could pinch this if they play with freedom.

hes gone soft,no edge and stubborn.refused to play 3 talls in the fwd line and a proper chop out for nank first 10 games and he,hardwick, more than the team,
got wiped 4 times by excellent oppo coaching incl exposing so called specialty space closes such as Castagna and Rioli for theyre lack of skill with ball in hand
if you look at melbourne last night its about elite foot and hand skills f***k this guarding space drivel and f***k this bubkas part time relief ruck
garbage,Hardwicks taken an eternity to get with the programme this year,i have faith that he can read the crystals and adjust accordingly,hes done it before
all credit to him.frustrating as it is,cmon tiges.
What a few people are missing is that he (dimma) has gone through some serious personal things and that will impact him for sure. Also we lost a lot of our assistant coaches too. It’s hard to a change a winning formula but obviously our team is not playing anywhere near what we used to play like, regardless of the personal that’s missing etc. The tigers team of 2018 were viscous, our game could pull any team apart, this years team does not have that edge to do it for four quarters, and still we are not miles and miles off the comp. I agree, play the young kids when we can because they inject freshness into a weary battle fatigued team.

He's already dropped Roili, too much to ask to drop both favourite sons. Must admit I do like George. Surely he s due for a big game.

Which Essendon turns up? Will they race out the blocks and jump the Tiges like a few other teams have this year? I like the young Dons talls, and the whole team has a bit of verve. They'll set themselves for this game, especially as there are some richmondesque idiosynchrosies about them.

Tiges look a bit short, and Nankervis out is a blow because he usually gets about the ground to equalise height contests. Chol is a concern, I have hoped he would manifest the potential but I am not sure if he has the ticker for AFL.

Tiges still leaking too many goals, unable to consistently choke oppo this year. They seem to be playing catch up a lot and that strategy will never sustain itself. They need to get back to their defensive best, and Astbury is still a big loss as even if not playing well he balances the defensive mix against taller timber.

I reckon Dons could pinch this if they play with freedom.
Pretty much spot on.....I’m impressed.

He's already dropped Roili, too much to ask to drop both favourite sons. Must admit I do like George. Surely he s due for a big game.
too many of our players are down on form and some were carrying injuries.
we need to find something, l think playing youth is the key......
stack and Rioli jnr when ready would be nice inclusion.

Can’t wait for this game,thank you to the WA patrons for providing us with something to look forward too in these sad times in Melbourne.

The Optus Stadium should be a perfect host,she will do all Aussies proud,especially you West Aussies.

Back