Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 13 - Swans v Hawks Fri June 11th 7:50pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 12 42.9%
  • Hawks by a lot

• Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Look at us lol.
We finally got looked after for one match last week and the media whinge all week about it,amazing stuff.
Did the umps put their houses on the line at Sportsbet?

Exactly. Hawks and Tigers got the rough end all year. After 1 week where the count goes the other way the media suddenly talk about it.

That said, the Tigers style does involve pushing a lot to win marking contests so they are expecting to get pinged a few times while winning far more of the 50 / 50 contests. Its a smart plan.

I dont know what Papley said to Razor but he was clearly pissed off for the rest of the game. In soccer and rugby league/union it would be a penalty and a send off so maybe being smacked for the rest of the game is the Aussie rules equivalent.

I did enjoy the Swans fans arrogance pre game and mocking Clarko and wondering who he would lose his cool at. Well, he seemed perfectly fine. Papley not so much.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Not sure what I’m (still) more gobsmacked about, the fact that we beat the swans, a team nine places higher than us, on their home deck, or the go we got from the umps. We haven’t had a rub of the green like that since 2016, and the free kick count looks like what we get AGAINST us at least half a dozen times a year.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Hawks up to #16 with a bullet.

Team
FF
FA
Diff
Western Bulldogs
239​
208​
+31​
Carlton
262​
237​
+25​
GWS Giants
218​
197​
+21​
North Melbourne
231​
212​
+19​
Adelaide
256​
239​
+17​
Essendon
229​
214​
+15​
Geelong
233​
225​
+8​
West Coast
208​
203​
+5​
Melbourne
242​
240​
+2​
Collingwood
217​
222​
-5​
Fremantle
211​
218​
-7​
Brisbane Lions
243​
251​
-8​
Port Adelaide
235​
245​
-10​
Sydney
251​
263​
-12​
Gold Coast
179​
192​
-13​
Hawthorn
219​
232​
-13​
St Kilda
208​
222​
-14​
Richmond
193​
249​
-56​
#freekickhawthorn :drunk::drunk::drunk::D

Just shows how much the media is up Sydney's arse that they'll talk about one-sided umpiring in a game where the Swans get pumped on their home deck by 7 goals by the team who is second last on the ladder.

I've seen similar free kick counts (reversed though) in Hawthorn games where we lost by a couple of goals. No mention of the umpiring, of course.

Last edited:

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
#freekickhawthorn :drunk::drunk::drunk::D

Just shows how much the media is up Sydney's arse that they'll talk about one-sided umpiring in a game where the Swans get pumped on their home deck by 7 goals by the team who is second last on the ladder.

We would have been down to under 2 goals down in the 3rd quarter if the umpires paid the very very obvious free kick to Bell directly in front of goals. Who knows what could have happened after that as the Swans could have gained momentum. Sure it is quite possible we would have still lost but we were never even given the chance to find out.

CharlieMortdecai

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
We would have been down to under 2 goals down in the 3rd quarter if the umpires paid the very very obvious free kick to Bell directly in front of goals. Who knows what could have happened after that as the Swans could have gained momentum. Sure it is quite possible we would have still lost but we were never even given the chance to find out.
Something very wrong at Sydney if a missed free kick saw them perform that poorly in the final quarter.
Good teams/players shake that s**t off and don't let it affect their performance.

I would be very interested to know the stats of Chamberpot and Stevic in Swans games.

ftfy.... I dont believe the struck through umps name should ever be used in polite company like BF.

Chamberpot totally lost the plot last night. It really was Comedy Central. Don't get me wrong, the Hawks thoroughly deserved their win.

In Q4 while I was obviously unhappy at the flogging we deservedly copped, I burst into laughter several times at the frees paid/not paid by Chamberpot.

Aside from McLaren 15 years ago, I have never seen an ump really lose his cool as Ray did. At one stage I remembered the late great Slug Jordan's commentary of the Ressies match when Burke lost his rag.

"he done well the boy"

"get the boy off"

Slug would have had fun with Ray last night and may have used the same words.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, that was a real momentum sapper :D

A bit like that "sure thing" I bet on last week at Eagle Farm that was making it's run on the home turn, got blocked and ended up finishing 10th.

Shoulda woulda coulda...:rolleyes:

C'mon mate... You've had the rub of the green in many games this year. You can't win 'em all.
I guess the organised crime gangs loaded up on the Hawks this round and placed another 100k in Razor's retirement fund in the Cayman National Bank.

Feb 28, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney

A bit like that "sure thing" I bet on last week at Eagle Farm that was making it's run on the home turn, got blocked and ended up finishing 10th.

C'mon mate... You've had the rub of the green in many games this year. You can't win 'em all.
I guess the organised crime gangs loaded up on the Hawks this round and placed another 100k in Razor's retirement fund in the Cayman National Bank.

Swans are ranked 14th for Free's for compared to our opposition in 2021, so we haven't had the rub of the green much

Sure it may affected momentum but it was clear the Hawks fully deserved the win.

As I noted above, Ray lost the plot and made lolworthy decisions.

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Swans are ranked 14th for Free's for compared to our opposition in 2021, so we haven't had the rub of the green much
I was thinking of Sydney's 3 point win over Essendon and 2 point win over Geelong. Both results were heavily influenced by the dodgy umpiring. Semi-competent umpiring in those games would see the Swans at 6-7 and 9th on the ladder.

Point being, if Sydney lost last night's game by a few points then people might be justified in sooking about the umpiring
But Hawthorn pumped the Swans. The Hawks were clearly the better team on the night

Last edited:

Maddhew

Cancelled
Feb 9, 2007
AFL Club
Sydney
I was thinking of Sydney's 3 point win over Essendon and 2 point win over Geelong. Both results were heavily influenced by the dodgy umpiring. Semi-competent umpiring in those games would see the Swans at 6-7 and 9th on the ladder.

Point being, if Sydney lost last night's game by a few points then people might be justified in sooking about the umpiring
But Hawthorn pumped the Swans. The Hawks were clearly the better team on the night
Your recollection of the umpiring of certain close games not including your team is astonishing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
I would be very interested to know the stats of Chamberlain and Stevic in Swans games.
I can tell you Deboy against us vs port 17 of the 24 and O’gorman against the hawks !1 out of 15 against us, they can be found on champion data, and those two consistently are above 75% against us out of the total and guess what we may get 1 free for from them, but the umpiring is all hunky dory

Mar 2, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Your recollection of the umpiring of certain close games not including your team is astonishing.
Astonishing? I don't know about that, mate. I just remember the funny meltdowns on here when Essendon and Geelong were both robbed at the SCG

Here we have a 22 page match thread which doubled in size to 44 pages after the final siren with most neutrals congratulating the Swans on their robbery and Swans fans denying umps affected the 3 point result. :D

This 'autopsy' thread on the Essendon board was even more illuminating.
Fun read. Pretty much says all you need to know about that game.

...and this quiet 6 page thread quickly turned into a 24 page thread after the siren with biased Swans fans assuring everyone that umpire Nicholls called "touched, play on" before Jeremy Cameron marked the ball on his chest, five metres from goal. (The AFL later admitted he made an error & claimed the ball hadn't trailed far enough.)

Last edited:

Boristown

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Swans beat StKilda on the back of one sided umpiring and have no issues. A week later you cop it and you lose.

Both last week and this week, the umpiring had no influence on the final result. The sh*ttier side on the day lost.

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Something very wrong at Sydney if a missed free kick saw them perform that poorly in the final quarter.
Good teams/players shake that sh*t off and don't let it affect their performance.

We turned around a 38 point deficit against Essendon in R1.

Free kick count:
Essendon 25
Hawthorn 12

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
Imagine being on the receiving end of yesterday's umpiring, but losing by 3 points instead? Because that's what happened when we played you earlier this year. At least you lost by 38 points.

A 38 point loss vs a bottom 4 side at home is something you can only blame your team for.

Jun 16, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
It is possible to get cheated by the umps and genuinely get beaten by a team all over the ground. That is what happened last night. No supporter in their right mind would think we deserved a win last night let alone looked competitive. But the umpiring last night deserves an investigation.

It amazes me how far the game and players get critiqued yet for some reason umpires escape the same criticism.

Jan 3, 2012
From the interview room
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC, Victory, All Blecks,
It is possible to get cheated by the umps and genuinely get beaten by a team all over the ground. That is what happened last night. No supporter in their right mind would think we deserved a win last night let alone looked competitive. But the umpiring last night deserves an investigation.

It amazes me how far the game and players get critiqued yet for some reason umpires escape the same criticism.
The game s hocking and Gilligan. Have created, follow the Sportsbet money

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
Miracles do happen, we won a lopsided free kick count, the drought has been broken
Put it this way, we receive that kind of umpiring performance against us on an alarmingly regular basis, and when we do, I get pissed off. So if I was a Swans supporter, I would be pissed off right now.

I'm just going to enjoy it while it lasts, because I'm sure it will only last one week. It will most likely return to regular programming next week...

Back