Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 16 - Suns v Tigers Thurs July 1st 7:20pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I think it’s fair to say that a criminal discovering a bloke named David Swallow (for example) living on the coast makes $800k a year, would make the player more vulnerable.

If a criminal wanted to target a kidnap for ransom victim, they could go to the websites of top 100 ASX listed companies, read the remuneration details in the annual reports, and identify literally hundreds of people who were paid more than the top AFL footballer.

Those people would also have far greater accumulated wealth than almost any footballer, and be much less trouble physically to kidnap and restrain than an elite athlete.

Yes. What if everyone in the same position as you is on $10,000 more than you and you did not know it? Wouldn't you want to know that?

It probably means they are better at their job than you are. Are you also happy for your salary to be adjusted down if it turns out the problem is you’re overpaid $10k rather than the others being underpaid?

In my office the junior guys talk about their salaries despite it being against company policy. All it causes is unrest amongst those who seem to cause unrest as a hobby.

“It’s not fair, I didn’t get the same opportunity as them.”

“Ok, here’s an opportunity that could be a platform for you, do you want to take it?”

“No, I’m too busy. Because I always get the hardest work…”

And on and on they go.

If they ever have the guts to ask why they are paid less than a peer, which is rare, they don’t like the answer.

The answer is “We have an extensive process where we assess performance of the entire team, what they contribute to the team culturally, annual market matching comparisons, and we look at current salaries. We group people by their current position title. If we think someone is contributing more than their current salary reflects we adjust their salary up. If we think someone is contributing less than their current salary reflects they do not get their salary adjusted. It’s a difficult process with lots of subjective judgement. Sometimes due to market supply and demand imbalances we need to pay a premium to bring someone in, their salary will generally stagnate as a result. After all of that it was decided your contribution is at a lesser level than some of your peers, which is reflected by the difference in salary. Should we go through the areas where you are weak now so you can lift the perception of your contribution and place yourself better for the next salary review?”.

I’m sure there are still some industries or geographies where there isn’t much opportunity to move where “the man” is keeping salaries down and exploiting “the worker”, supply would have to be outstripping demand for that to happen.

The power in my industry is with the juniors as there will be double figures of job ads at any time for what they do (except due to COVID for about six months). Demand far outstrips supply. There is no ability for the employer to reduce someone’s salary, if there was that would be an indicator that there is too much power with the employer.

If we published everyone’s salaries, most of the people you’d want to keep, because they value their salary as just one of many elements of what they want from their job, would probably find they are at the upper end already (except perhaps against recent starters who came in at a premium).

The ones who would kick up a really big stink are the ones who complain about everything and you’re happy to lose because they are more trouble than they are worth. They end up going somewhere else eventually chasing a $15k bump as their salary will never be enough for them, and most likely get worked like a dog and lose many other things they took for granted - I hear that story over and over from people who leave because they are “under appreciated” (which is code for underpaid in their mind).

In summary, I’d love to have salaries published as it would be a great catalyst for “good attrition”.

Back to footy - they go contract to contract. It’s an entirely different dynamic to permanent employees with a salary. A footy club can adjust salary down with their next contract offer at the risk of losing that player. A footy club can not even make an offer and “sack” someone with no explanation if they want.

Richmond were extremely unlucky to come up against 2 clubs in a row who were fired up to show some heart after being smashed in the media.

Jack Riewoldt whinging to the umpires after the siren. Have a sook you tosser. Shocking lack of sportsmanship.

I couldn’t believe after the Melbourne Richmond game this year Riewoldt had the nerve to lecture Pickett on field about “The right way to play” and then talk about it on AFL 360 too like he’s some doyen of exemplary behaviour.

What was Pickett’s crime? To bang hard into his opponent Mansell to try to create leading space, and when Mansell tackled Pickett in retaliation (without the ball), Pickett got a free, kicked the goal, and gave it to his opponent and pointed to the scoreboard.

Tell me Riewoldt hasn’t done similar things, and continues to do similar now well into his 30s. There was overtones of Riewoldt having earned the right to do things through his past deeds. He’s a hypocritical knob.

Hopefully someone will give him a lecture about a non-captain having a sook to umpires and how that’s not “The right way to play” too. Maybe Dimma will do it as he’s always shown good balance and a firm grip on reality with no victim mentality…

Been a great four year run so got to appreciate that us tiger supporters have got to witness some great footy.

This year has been tough , the team hasn’t played anywhere near consistent footy and haven’t adapted to the new stand rule. Body of work to suggest now that our system that worked for us doesn’t cut it with the new rules as our defense has been torn apart.

Im seriously concerned about the standard of umpiring and the skill level of players across the board last night.

The umpiring is as frustrating as it ever has been plenty of times this year in a lot of games I’ve seen. Essendon have copped the brunt of some really bad non holding the ball calls and last night as example in the last they correctly paid holding the man against us half a dozen times yet in the last 5 I reckon there was 3 times it happened to us without a free given. We still would have lost that’s not my point it’s just hard to enjoy a game of footy when they game is being over officiated. I reckon we got away with 20 throws last night to.

I thought these new rules were introduced to make the game more free flowing well it might have worked for 4 rounds but right now is as dour and dull footy as you will see. Not many scores over 100 of late and just so many basic skill errors from really good players. I saw Dangerfield last week butcher about 3 out on the full in a short period of time, Houli and Cotch on our end look completely spent.

It’s like the game is now just who is the fittest, It’s frustrating to watch a team go from the back line to get to centre wing and have to stop and you watch a rolling maul of 20 players run past, they bomb it high and it comes back and you see the same thing. It’s become such a fitness/ athletic based game rather than skill based it’s hard to enjoy.

having seen Dimma's presser, he said:

- we lost to WC...last week....errr no, Saints last week.
- "confidence...when you're feeling great a bout your life.....ah sorry your game"

I've updated my writeoff-meter

Richmond

Sure, I'll be very happy to be proven wrong but signs are currently diabolical.

Footy can still be enjoyable, you just gotta stop being a dickhead neutral/supporter/hater.

(counting the bye, WC loss was 3 weeks ago Dimma)

Last edited:
Richmond have done what most teams would dream of. If they win the flag from here now then it’s the most beautiful football moment ever. If not, they have two 1st rounders, trade bait for days and ready-made replacements looking for trades to big Melbourne clubs.

They could seriously make a good fist of it next year.
At the end of 2016 we made some moves that lead to a dynasty. The difference is the club had a prime Dusty, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt to lead us through it. We don't now.

I hope we aren't as stupid as the Hawks who thought they could cling on after their era. We have great trade and draft assets and good cap management if we retire some players. We should be in a position to hit the draft hard and build a finals top 4 side again but it's going to take smart decisions and not desperation trades.

At the end of 2016 we made some moves that lead to a dynasty. The difference is the club had a prime Dusty, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt to lead us through it. We don't now.

I hope we aren't as stupid as the Hawks who thought they could cling on after their era. We have great trade and draft assets and good cap management if we retire some players. We should be in a position to hit the draft hard and build a finals top 4 side again but it's going to take smart decisions and not desperation trades.

You’re right, understanding where the club is really at is crucial in making the right decisions going forward.
Hawthorn’s recent delusion is a timely reminder no doubt …

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is a great equaliser too as clubs can't get away with underpaying some of their players if all the players know what their teammates are on.

It is just like in an office. Employers who get upset when the employees begin discussing what salaries they are on clearly don't have the best interest of the employees in mind.

I’m fairly sure that the player agents would know anyway. TLA for instance manages over 200 AFL players so not sure how much making players salary public would help the players.

It probably means they are better at their job than you are. Are you also happy for your salary to be adjusted down if it turns out the problem is you’re overpaid $10k rather than the others being underpaid?

In my office the junior guys talk about their salaries despite it being against company policy. All it causes is unrest amongst those who seem to cause unrest as a hobby.

“It’s not fair, I didn’t get the same opportunity as them.”

“Ok, here’s an opportunity that could be a platform for you, do you want to take it?”

“No, I’m too busy. Because I always get the hardest work…”

And on and on they go.

If they ever have the guts to ask why they are paid less than a peer, which is rare, they don’t like the answer.

The answer is “We have an extensive process where we assess performance of the entire team, what they contribute to the team culturally, annual market matching comparisons, and we look at current salaries. We group people by their current position title. If we think someone is contributing more than their current salary reflects we adjust their salary up. If we think someone is contributing less than their current salary reflects they do not get their salary adjusted. It’s a difficult process with lots of subjective judgement. Sometimes due to market supply and demand imbalances we need to pay a premium to bring someone in, their salary will generally stagnate as a result. After all of that it was decided your contribution is at a lesser level than some of your peers, which is reflected by the difference in salary. Should we go through the areas where you are weak now so you can lift the perception of your contribution and place yourself better for the next salary review?”.

I’m sure there are still some industries or geographies where there isn’t much opportunity to move where “the man” is keeping salaries down and exploiting “the worker”, supply would have to be outstripping demand for that to happen.

The power in my industry is with the juniors as there will be double figures of job ads at any time for what they do (except due to COVID for about six months). Demand far outstrips supply. There is no ability for the employer to reduce someone’s salary, if there was that would be an indicator that there is too much power with the employer.

If we published everyone’s salaries, most of the people you’d want to keep, because they value their salary as just one of many elements of what they want from their job, would probably find they are at the upper end already (except perhaps against recent starters who came in at a premium).

The ones who would kick up a really big stink are the ones who complain about everything and you’re happy to lose because they are more trouble than they are worth. They end up going somewhere else eventually chasing a $15k bump as their salary will never be enough for them, and most likely get worked like a dog and lose many other things they took for granted - I hear that story over and over from people who leave because they are “under appreciated” (which is code for underpaid in their mind).

In summary, I’d love to have salaries published as it would be a great catalyst for “good attrition”.

Back to footy - they go contract to contract. It’s an entirely different dynamic to permanent employees with a salary. A footy club can adjust salary down with their next contract offer at the risk of losing that player. A footy club can not even make an offer and “sack” someone with no explanation if they want.

These people would disagree

I said after our 2016 flag that I didn’t care if we were sh*t for another 40 years, the experience was worth it.

I don’t think there are too many Richmond supporters that would be that upset about just how good they’ve been for four years. All things must come to an end.

Sure. But losing to Gold Coast who conceeded the ruck, with a makeshift forward line, in Melbourne in July.

I'd guarantee every Richmond fan woke up this morning and thought, was last night real or was it just a nightmare.

I said after our 2016 flag that I didn’t care if we were sh*t for another 40 years, the experience was worth it.

I don’t think there are too many Richmond supporters that would be that upset about just how good they’ve been for four years. All things must come to an end.
Being sensible, I like it, cheers.
I said the same after 2017 and then we got spoilt rotten with back to back premierships. Geez crying in my soup!
Not writing us off just yet either.

lol. Thanks for the laughs tonight. 5 straight prelims, 4 straight Grand Finals, 3 straight premierships. Not to mention the 2008 cherry. Seriously, our dynasty or whatever you wanna call it isn't at stake.
Hawthorn dynasty was better the Tigers

Spoken like a baby boomer- let the future generations deal with the problems,just let me have my time in the sun!

I know a lot of the Richmond players are down on form and things are harder when you’re team isn’t playing well in general. However, what stood out to me last night was Houli just butchering the ball out of the back line all night. One of my favourite non-dogs so always follow his game, but he was as poor as I can remember.

When you miss that distribution and others around him are also poor (Short, McIntosh, a few others) then it’s a hard game.

Back