Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 19 - Blues v North Sat July 24th 1:45pm EST (Marvel)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North by a goal or less

Votes: 3 9.7%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 8 25.8%
  • North by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 35.5%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 7 22.6%
  • North by a lot

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

what the hell is this? lol

La Dispute , Elmer_Judd explain lol
What's to explain? Have you seen what trades, local footy players and cashed up bogan consider as fashion these days?
The kind of stuff you used to get picked on for 15-20 years ago is the kind of stuff they openly flaunt for attention.

On a positive note for Carlton for the day, De Koning looks a good sort and Dow put in another good perfomance.
I think Pitto and Levi being out is going to be great for TDK. While it would be good to have a decent back up for him, most of us have wanted him to take the main ruck role for a while.
Dow is showing what most of us thought he would be before he fell out of favour. Still needs to be able to find 2nd gear defensively, but not alone there. He 'tries' to chase for 3-4 steps, then gives up and goes into a jog.
Well done on the win. Would've been nice to finally get the McKay battle.

Jones is fine and Betts has been good apart from this game and did get injured.
Murphy shouldn't be playing. Newnes was alright but is always going to be a depth player.
Who else is there?

Curnow.

Start the oldies on the bench or stand them down. Give the others responsibility and let them show what they can do.

Some Carlton players were schoolteachered into submission by Bolton instead of being trusted and allowed to fail sometimes. Carlton is bearing the fruits of a risk-averse rebuild. So throw off the shackles.

Lot of positives for North.
Great to see Stephenson and Bosenavulagi playing well.
LDU some nice passages, Thomas is a player and having Cunnington and (the very underrated - imo) Jed Anderson is never going to hurt.
For the Blues, I’ve taken an interest in Dow and he’s making progress offensively, but his pressure acts and tackles have dropped off again.
He and Cripps were very focused on offense but not good defensively.
Kennedy being played forward didn’t help on that front, but I guess it made sense with their injuries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Curnow.

Start the oldies on the bench or stand them down. Give the others responsibility and let them show what they can do.

Some Carlton players were schoolteachered into submission by Bolton instead of being trusted and allowed to fail sometimes. Carlton is bearing the fruits of a risk-averse rebuild. So throw off the shackles.
Ah yes, sorry meant to add him in.
Love him, but if he's not playing pure inside mid or tagging, he just doesn't really have any other role that suits.
I'd be looking at keeping him listed next year but asking him to be the VFL captain. Use him as a break in case of emergency depth player. He's the kind of hard worker the kids in the VFL need to be learning from.
Our average list age dropped quite from last year to this, I believe. And if Murphy and Levi retire, and possibly Betts (I'd also offer him another year if he wants it, under the proviso that he'll probably spend half the year in the VFL teaching the kids), that will most likely drop again.
That's not an excuse in any way, but shows that the changing of the guard is well in effect.
Jones would then be our oldest player who is best 22, followed by Doc and Cripps. The rest of the core group would be 21-24.

Was always going to be a tough game once Harry was out. The only talls available were TDK, Jones and Weitering. Charlie had only played 75mins of a VFL scratch match after 2 years out, so no way do you risk him. The only other tall person available was Kemp, who personally I would have played. Completely changes the structure. He could've played fwd, or taken on the Jones intercept role and allowed Jones to play fwd. This then allows Cripps and Kennedy to spend more time in the middle helping out Walsh and Dow, who had to shoulder most of the load.
Selection has been an issue this year, as well as player availability.
Having said all that, Roos were great. Not sure if it was their defence, or a game plan change from us due to a lack of tall marking options, but it was noticeable how little we played on compared to previous weeks, which is when we looked our most dangerous.

Our average list age dropped quite from last year to this, I believe. And if Murphy and Levi retire, and possibly Betts (I'd also offer him another year if he wants it, under the proviso that he'll probably spend half the year in the VFL teaching the kids), that will most likely drop again.
That's not an excuse in any way, but shows that the changing of the guard is well in effect.

It should be very much in effect after six years of rebuilding! 6th-oldest team on the park two years running and not playing finals means something isn't right. And as you suggest, it's hard to move up the ladder when you're shedding experience.

Wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of resentment at the money certain recent arrivals are earning. For that coin and the age of those players, they need to be club leaders and provide a lot more than the odd handy game. Bit of a Catch 22 when you're trying to get the list back in shape and don't want to throw money at kids who haven't earned it, but they probably should've paid the extra to Cripps back when his performance merited it.

Unless those big money players can stay on the park and deliver consistent good footy, they're the next group that will restrict Carlton to mediocrity, no matter who is coaching.

Back