Autopsy AFL 2021 ROUND 19 - Demons v Dogs Sat July 24th 7:25pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Demos by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 20.6%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs won this game largely because of the rain (ie they totally outplayed us in wet conditions) and us giving away a lot of free kicks. Was clear at the time given what happened in R11, but can’t blame their fans for not seeing it.

We struggled to move the heavy wet ball past their half back line, and they turned the game into a scrap to score 37 points from forward stoppages. Our kicking for goal was also dreadful. Trac had like five shots on for one goal and four out of bounds.

I don’t know how exactly Martin, Treloar and Dunkley were going to improve them given the conditions had already swung this game hugely in their favour. We got no ruck advantage in this game because it’s a lot easier to shark taps in the wet. Didn’t suit the way our midfield plays, as shown by our explosiveness in R11 and the GF.

whilst I kind of agree after this loss there were quite a few Doggies supporters rehashing posts from after our first clash

I got hammered with a couple of replies to posts form a couple of months earlier from Doggies supporters (one in particular)

I think it is probably more a sign of a rivilary between two teams that were clearly the best all year. Not like when Richmond supporters were replying to posts from 3 or 4 years previously from posters whose teams didn't even play them in the finals.

Yeah the dogs will be good going into the future. They've got gift-hagan and Darcy coming into their team and still have a young midfield. Their backline needs work though.

whilst I kind of agree after this loss there were quite a few Doggies supporters rehashing posts from after our first clash

I got hammered with a couple of replies to posts form a couple of months earlier from Doggies supporters (one in particular)

I think it is probably more a sign of a rivilary between two teams that were clearly the best all year. Not like when Richmond supporters were replying to posts from 3 or 4 years previously from posters whose teams didn't even play them in the finals.
I think for Doggies supporters it's quite frustrating at times to have each well-earned victory be chalked down to umpiring, which was the case during this matchday thread from a number of Melbourne supporters. Hence the posting in this thread.

Obviously rehashing posts from months before is poor form, but I suppose we all have supporters on our respective boards that do the same thing.

Posters like Danster should've be given an internet connection.

Dogs won this game largely because of the rain (ie they totally outplayed us in wet conditions) and us giving away a lot of free kicks. Was clear at the time given what happened in R11, but can’t blame their fans for not seeing it.

We struggled to move the heavy wet ball past their half back line, and they turned the game into a scrap to score 37 points from forward stoppages. Our kicking for goal was also dreadful. Trac had like five shots on for one goal and four out of bounds.

I agree. The dogs fans failed to acknowledge that our goal kicking in that match was horrendous.Not just Petracca but Ben Brown changed the momentum with misses early. I think for the most part we dominated the midfield though for the majority of the game but the umpires were incredibly one sided and were legitimately a 6 goal difference if you go over the game with a fine tooth comb. That's why I was super confident after Round 19. We still almost pinched the game.

I don’t know how exactly Martin, Treloar and Dunkley were going to improve them given the conditions had already swung this game hugely in their favour. We got no ruck advantage in this game because it’s a lot easier to shark taps in the wet. Didn’t suit the way our midfield plays, as shown by our explosiveness in R11 and the GF.
It's a bit disingenuous to chalk up our win to the rain tbh.

We played poorly in the first quarter in Rd 11 and matched you for the rest of the game. Most Doggies supporters were quite confident after that game that we were every bit as good as the Dees.

Obviously in the Grand Final you wanted it more, and for whatever reason we faltered.

It's a bit disingenuous to chalk up our win to the rain tbh.

We played poorly in the first quarter in Rd 11 and matched you for the rest of the game. Most Doggies supporters were quite confident after that game that we were every bit as good as the Dees.

Obviously in the Grand Final you wanted it more, and for whatever reason we faltered.
Also the Dogs didn’t match us after the first quarter in R11. We just totally took our foot off the pedal and controlled the rest of the game. It’s how we played in almost all of our wins in the early part of the season hence why we didn’t bury any sides.

The start to the GF didn’t play out too dissimilarly to the first quarter from R11, and was a pretty good indication of how that game would have gone if we’d played four quarters.

I think for Doggies supporters it's quite frustrating at times to have each well-earned victory be chalked down to umpiring, which was the case during this matchday thread from a number of Melbourne supporters. Hence the posting in this thread.

Obviously rehashing posts from months before is poor form, but I suppose we all have supporters on our respective boards that do the same thing.

I'm just fed up with the standard of the umpiring. Even in the Grand Final there were still monumental mistakes.

- Schache got pushed in the back against Brayshaw. SHould've been a likely goal to the dogs.

- Macrae getting a centre clearance free kick for high despite him ducking when momentum was changing.

- Hunter leading with the head to earn his free and kick the set shot goal.

- Gawn's goal called a behind. (*it could be my bias but it looked a goal to me)

- Petracca should've been called for holding the ball but they called play on leading to a dees goal in the last qtr.

- Johannisons mark he used his hands on Bowey's back to prop himself up.

- Steven May's mark called play on at half time giving Hunter a shot at goal which he missed.

The mistakes that umpires make are such a big factor in todays game. I honestly could umpire a better game from home.

tbf there have been supporters from a lot of teams complaining about the umpiring in Bulldogs games

Now it's not a Bulldog bias from the umpires imo but the fact that the Bulldogs have a few serial offenders when it comes to ducking into head high tackles or dropping the knees and for some reason the umpires continually fall for it. Now I am quite aware that every team has players who pull this s**t its just the Bulldogs seem to have the most

Now I guess its a bit like grunting in tennis. Should we hate the players who do it now or just hate Monica Seles for bringing this annoying tactic into the game? If so maybe we should all just hate Joel Selwood for being the first campaigner to bring it in

The round 19 game had it being a draw on expected scores. It was pretty close and a few late goals got it looking worse for Dees. Interestingly there was a clear rushed behind I think maybe Hunter. He then took off and umpire didn’t call the point. At this stage we were within a goal and then dogs ran it down and kicked a goal.

tbf there have been supporters from a lot of teams complaining about the umpiring in Bulldogs games

Now it's not a Bulldog bias from the umpires imo but the fact that the Bulldogs have a few serial offenders when it comes to ducking into head high tackles or dropping the knees and for some reason the umpires continually fall for it. Now I am quite aware that every team has players who pull this sh*t its just the Bulldogs seem to have the most

Now I guess its a bit like grunting in tennis. Should we hate the players who do it now or just hate Monica Seles for bringing this annoying tactic into the game? If so maybe we should all just hate Joel Selwood for being the first campaigner to bring it in

The dogs get more free kicks doesn’t really stack up. If you look at the differential people draw that conclusion as it is +79. But across the year we had 1 more free kick than Geelong, 16 more free kicks than Melbourne, in fact Brisbane, Adelaide and port Adelaide all received more free kicks than the dogs.

It is the free kicks against that make the differential, we gave away the least frees, 2 less than west coast. Dogs and west coast the only teams under 400 frees against for the year. So what really needs to be considered isn’t why the dogs get so many frees it is why do they get so few away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back