Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 20 - Bombers v Swans Sun August 1st 3:10pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 1 6.3%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Yep, the coast to coast thing is beyond a joke now. We would lead the comp in goals going untouched from end to end. Our defence to kick ins is pathetic at both ends.
And enough of the zone crap, we can’t continue to let sides take uncontested marks everywhere.

Mind blowing thing is it’s been happening under multiple coaches

I don’t go to training but some one needs to tell me do they practice defending at all during the week

No heart? K dude.

Effort was much better but that can only get you so far.

As a I said earlier that’s 2 games in a row now that we coughed up a lead and lost with a finals spot on the line

Just not enough players dog hungry we have too many passengers every week

Also our defence needs a lot of work and must be a focus this summer we can’t continually give teams coast to coast goals uncontested we will never beat the top sides otherwise we become stuck as a middle of the road team again

Last edited:
Man, some extremely negative takes from some Essendon fans in here, was not expecting it, thought you guys played well, was a great game of footy.

Man, some extremely negative takes from some Essendon fans in here, was not expecting it, thought you guys played well, was a great game of footy.

It was a cracker! Unfortunately some Essendon fans in here feel that we're better than we actually are. I mean I hate losing as well, but we need to be realistic as to where we sit at the moment.
Sydney were the better team, and have been all year.
We are a preason or two away from competing with the top 4-6 teams. I'm not too worried about our future tbh. I think we're very well placed.

We are a preason or two away from competing with the top 4-6 teams. I'm not too worried about our future tbh. I think we're very well placed.

Hope you are right but I’ve been burnt many times by this club when I think we are heading in the right direction only to lead to nothing

Lots to like but I need to see improvement on what we achieved this season next year to make me feel confident we are on the right track no going backwards

Last edited:
Bombers brave as always, didn’t lose anything with their 11th loss of the season, just building with a wealth of young talent, a stacked midfield and key position beasts everywhere. Look out 2093!

Hope you are right but I’ve been burnt many times by this club when I think we are heading in the right direction only to lead to nothing

Lots to like but I need to see improvement on what we achieved this season next year to make me feel confident we are on the right track no going backwards
We have a coach and a coaching panel who seem to have half an idea for one.
A young playing list that have shown enough, that with a few pre seasons are only going to get better.
Haven't seen Reid yet, apparently the one Dodoro was "most excited" about.
Jones, gonna be a beast!
Would love to try and lure a bull at the gates type player in the middle to provide a little protection for Parish, Merrett, McGrath & co. (Dunkley a pipe dream, but would be ideal).

List isn't in too bad a shape moving forward for mine.
Just to name a few in each part of the ground;

Defenders:

Zach Reid, 202cm - 19
Jordan Ridley 195cm - 22
Jayden Laverde, 193cm - 25
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, 195cm - 22
James Stewart, 199cm - 27
Aaron Francis, 193cm - 23
Mason Redman, 187cm - 23
Dyson Heppell, 189cm - 29
Nick Hind, 180cm - 26
Cody Brand, 195cm - 19
Josh Eyre, 197cm - 19

Mids:

Zach Merrett, 180cm - 25
Darcy Parish, 180cm - 23
Andrew McGrath, 180cm - 22
Dylan Shiel, 182cm - 28
Jye Caldwell, 184cm - 20
Kyle Langford, 192cm 24 (Fwd)
Archie Perkins, 188cm - 19 (Fwd)
Sam Durham, 185cm - 20
Dylan Clarke, 188cm - 22

Rucks

Sam Draper, 205cm - 22
Nick Bryan, 203cm - 19
Andrew Phillips, 201cm - 30

Forwards

Harrison Jones, 196cm - 20
Nik Cox, 200cm - 19 (Mid)
Peter Wright, 203cm - 24
Jake Stringer, 192cm - 27 (Mid)
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, 171cm - 28
Will Snelling, 175cm - 24 (Mid)
Kaine Baldwin, 193cm - 19
Alec Waterman, 182cm - 24
Matt Guelfi, 184cm - 23

Another KPF would be nice, and maybe a big bodied mid. Other than that we aint in too bad a shape.

A young playing list that have shown enough, that with a few pre seasons are only going to get better.
Haven't seen Reid yet, apparently the one Dodoro was "most excited" about.
Jones, gonna be a beast!
Would love to try and lure a bull at the gates type player in the middle to provide a little protection for Parish, Merrett, McGrath & co. (Dunkley a pipe dream, but would be ideal).

List isn't in too bad a shape moving forward for mine.
Just to name a few in each part of the ground;

Defenders:

Zach Reid, 202cm - 19
Jordan Ridley 195cm - 22
Jayden Laverde, 193cm - 25
Brandon Zerk-Thatcher, 195cm - 22
James Stewart, 199cm - 27
Aaron Francis, 193cm - 23
Mason Redman, 187cm - 23
Dyson Heppell, 189cm - 29
Nick Hind, 180cm - 26
Cody Brand, 195cm - 19
Josh Eyre, 197cm - 19

Mids:

Zach Merrett, 180cm - 25
Darcy Parish, 180cm - 23
Andrew McGrath, 180cm - 22
Dylan Shiel, 182cm - 28
Jye Caldwell, 184cm - 20
Kyle Langford, 192cm 24 (Fwd)
Archie Perkins, 188cm - 19 (Fwd)
Sam Durham, 185cm - 20
Dylan Clarke, 188cm - 22

Rucks

Sam Draper, 205cm - 22
Nick Bryan, 203cm - 19
Andrew Phillips, 201cm - 30

Forwards

Harrison Jones, 196cm - 20
Nik Cox, 200cm - 19 (Mid)
Peter Wright, 203cm - 24
Jake Stringer, 192cm - 27 (Mid)
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti, 171cm - 28
Will Snelling, 175cm - 24 (Mid)
Kaine Baldwin, 193cm - 19
Alec Waterman, 182cm - 24
Matt Guelfi, 184cm - 23

Another KPF would be nice, and maybe a big bodied mid. Other than that we aint in too bad a shape.
There is zero depth in that midfield as it is currently constituted, same with the forwards, backs and rucks. Actually the whole list when you take a step back. But I guess Nik Cox is a unicorn or something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we finally have a decent midfield but no key back and forward

Years back we had a good backline with Hooker and Hurley and forward line with Joe but an average midfield.

I think the list balance is out of whack we haven’t built a list that would all come together at the same time. we put ourselfs in posistion where we have to trade for a gun key back and gun full forward to capitalise on our midfield

Yes, it’s just fantastic when every single game teams go coast to coast and score goals that under 12’s would be embarrassed about conceding. Maybe just maybe the coaches can do something about it.
The improvements are there but the list still has more holes than Swiss cheese. 2-3 years away from even thinking about playing finals. Clear out the deadwood and hit the draft hard again

Yes, it’s just fantastic when every single game teams go coast to coast and score goals that under 12’s would be embarrassed about conceding. Maybe just maybe the coaches can do something about it.
The improvements are there but the list still has more holes than Swiss cheese. 2-3 years away from even thinking about playing finals. Clear out the deadwood and hit the draft hard again

The coast to coast goals we concede is almost as bad when Matthew Knights was coaching.

Loving what Rutten has done so far but if he wants to last as coach he needs to fix the defence pronto

The coast to coast goals we concede is almost as bad when Matthew Knights was coaching.

Loving what Rutten has done so far but if he wants to last as coach he needs to fix the defence pronto
And it happens almost the same way every single time. Surely the coaches are watching footage or are they just too stubborn to fix it?

And it happens almost the same way every single time. Surely the coaches are watching footage or are they just too stubborn to fix it?

idk concerning thing for me is previous coaches couldn’t seem to fix it.

I would be hiring Ross Lyon not as senior coach but as senior assistant to discipline the players in the value of defending.

Choco Williams gets a lot of credit for the work at Melbourne reckon Ross could have a similar effect at Essendon

2-3 years away from even thinking about playing finals.
Lol, this was actually the point I was trying to make earlier to B4L. Everyone was losing their minds that we lost and we're not sittng in the top 4. I mean people are actually surprised by this? We were always 2 to 3 years away. Media pump us up for whatever reason and some supporters actually buy it. This is why im not all that doom and gloom about the way we've played this year. Yeh sure, defensively through the corridor we need to get better, but FMD, we look way better than we did last year and we've blooded 6 debutants!! Adding to that a pretty sh*tfull looking injury list.

Another super ********** effort
Just didn't have the class and experience in midfield to step up in the last like Mills and Papsy and Parks did.
Cracker of a game though.
Seeing most said we were bottom 4 we've found a few kids this year but some tough decisions to make on a few vets.
Trucks been great with his own car to drive.

Back