Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 3 - Cats v Hawks Mon April 5th 3:20pm AEST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 7 17.5%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 11 27.5%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

B.O.O, I think we’ll agree to disagree!
Yep. That's cool. Except I reckon all you Brereton critics mentally switch off whenever you hear his voice. I don't think a lot of the criticism is fair. Yeah, he talks a lot, maybe too much at times. But if Dermie isn't gas-bagging then it's guaranteed one of the others will be crapping on. There is never any silence during an AFL telecast on Fox or Ch7. There is literally not a single minute within any game where the commentators "let the game breathe". So I prefer to hear Derm's insights than any of the others' bullshit. And my god, do the other commentators all speak s**t (It actually amazes to hear critics singling out Dermie for this)

As for him "taking 1000 words to express what he could in 10 words..." Yep, he used to overcomplicate things, often trying to be too verbose, but I think he has improved in this respect. Maybe he took on board the criticism??? Occasionally, he might still do it, but I mostly hear him doling out really good feedback about various players and making terrific insights about their games. Not just just the "elite superstars", but the Regular Joes in each team that nobody ever talks about.

It's obvious from listening to Brereton that he watches all the games and knows the history & formline of nearly all players. (He's professional in this respect and it's why he has lasted so long.) But this doesn't seem to register with any of you critics. I listen to other commentators and I get the distinct impression that NONE OF THEM bother to watch any of the games they're not calling. Most of them are just taking the piss. They're pretenders. But as long as they sound good and blend into the background, that's okay, huh?

Last edited:
Yeah we blew some chances, but that kick from Wingard was a goal, Stanley a cheat claiming he touched it. CJ's tackle, no holding the ball, c'mon, horrible non-decision. And your players down at the pussy cats, and coach, get a haircut, ffs you bunch of pussies

Piss off Chapman, we booed him cause he’s asked for a trade to the enemy, I personally hate anyone who puts on wears the Geelong guernsey as do the mighty hawk army

Piss off Chapman, we booed him cause he’s asked for a trade to the enemy, I personally hate anyone who puts on wears the Geelong guernsey as do the mighty hawk army
Spot on! He broke the unwritten rule when becoming a Hawk, never wear those hideous blue and white hoops. Anyway, we still beat you guys in 08 so cop that!!

Hawks and Mitchell struggling so Umpire Ray to the rescue early in the second
View attachment 1094622

No hold from O'Connor, all Mitchell, guess who got the free kick for being held?

Some sh*t calls went both ways, just like they did last week, the only reason people are complaining is because their team lost.
I don’t really have a vested interest either way. In fact, probably dislike both sides equally for obvious reasons regarding the Eagles. But as a neutral there were a lot of 50/50s not being called for the Hawks (most notably illegal disposal) while the Cats were getting a whistle nearly every second contest for very soft s**t.

As for the example you showed. That sort of holding happens every game and you’re going to tell me an umpire is able to see Mitchell’s hand holding a jumper when it looks very much like O’Connor’s arm is wrapped around Titch’s. My issues is more with the clear and obvious ones. Selwood push in the back (that was then called downfield despite being as he kicked it) and very clear dropping of the ball while taking on a tackler from numerous Cats

Imagine how mental people would go if Geelong actually won the free kick count?

You mean like in 8 of the previous 10 meetings? Hawthorn fans are well aware we usually need to be a 3-4 goal better side than Geelong to get the points in these games due to the net umpiring impact on the scoreboard. Sadly we were only 1 or 2 goals better today, so we swallow another loss.

Last edited:
Nah disagree there. One of the best. Used to beat Sydney with tactics when Longmire wouldn’t change. Changed mid last year and I expect an easy win this year. But he ain’t bog average, no way

Nah, he is bog average. Ordinary coach made to look good thanks to the cattle that was at his disposal.
Yesterday's game was the perfect example of how bog average he is and how his entire success is on the back of players like Burgoyne.
That's before we look at his recruiting. Hartigan and Frost. LOL
Who was the last kid that Clarko developed into even a B-grader? None.
Kept in the game yesterday thanks to the brilliance of JOM.
Then almost got lucky when the Cats ran out of legs, 2 men down on the bench.
Bog ordinary.

Nah, he is bog average. Ordinary coach made to look good thanks to the cattle that was at his disposal.
Yesterday's game was the perfect example of how bog average he is and how his entire success is on the back of players like Burgoyne.
That's before we look at his recruiting. Hartigan and Frost. LOL
Who was the last kid that Clarko developed into even a B-grader? None.
Kept in the game yesterday thanks to the brilliance of JOM.
Then almost got lucky when the Cats ran out of legs, 2 men down on the bench.
Bog ordinary.
Clown is in town. Clearly still not recovered from the ass kicking we handed you in 2014

Clown is in town. Clearly still not recovered from the ass kicking we handed you in 2014

Name 1 B-grader Clarko has developed since 2014.
There isn't any to name, because Clarko is a bog average coach who rode on the back of a handful of superstars.

Imagine that conversation that Leigh Matthews had with Lions players in the lift ...with Clarko and Hawks players.
What would Clarko say, if the Hawks players said to him that without them he would be nothing?
"Without you I would just be a angry midget with severe small man syndrome."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Name 1 B-grader Clarko has developed since 2014.
There isn't any to name, because Clarko is a bog average coach who rode on the back of a handful of superstars.

Imagine that conversation that Leigh Matthews had with Lions players in the lift ...with Clarko and Hawks players.
What would Clarko say, if the Hawks players said to him that without them he would be nothing?
"Without you I would just be a angry midget with severe small man syndrome."
Not wasting my time engaging with a fool. You should be happy ffs. You blokes have unearthed 3 future stars in Gulden, Campbell and McDonald. Clarko is a 4 time premiership coach, give it a spell

Not wasting my time engaging with a fool. You should be happy ffs. You blokes have unearthed 3 future stars in Gulden, Campbell and McDonald. Clarko is a 4 time premiership coach, give it a spell

4 time premiership coach on the back of a handful of superstars.
Name 1 B-grader he has developed since your last flag.

He was pretty good yesterday
Will Day to come back in and Jiath stepping suggests a new backline is coming together well.

Remember Leigh Matthews saying if you are rebuilding the first step is to get a backline sorted
Been great all season

The backline is actually pretty solid, midfield is slow but serviceable, Wingard in there gives it a bit of class. The forward line though is a real work in progress though

Grainger-Barras. Will be a KPD. Think defense wise we are rock solid for the next few years with Sicily also to come back

Get a top line mid in, hopefully Day can also take the leap into the midfield as well.
Forward line is the issue in the next few years

Yep. That's cool. Except I reckon all you Brereton critics mentally switch off whenever you hear his voice. I don't think a lot of the criticism is fair. Yeah, he talks a lot, maybe too much at times. But if Dermie isn't gas-bagging then it's guaranteed one of the others will be crapping on. There is never any silence during an AFL telecast on Fox or Ch7. There is literally not a single minute within any game where the commentators "let the game breathe". So I prefer to hear Derm's insights than any of the others' bullshit. And my god, do the other commentators all speak sh*t (It actually amazes to hear critics singling out Dermie for this)

As for him "taking 1000 words to express what he could in 10 words..." Yep, he used to overcomplicate things, often trying to be too verbose, but I think he has improved in this respect. Maybe he took on board the criticism??? Occasionally, he might still do it, but I mostly hear him doling out really good feedback about various players and making terrific insights about their games. Not just just the "elite superstars", but the Regular Joes in each team that nobody ever talks about.

It's obvious from listening to Brereton that he watches all the games and knows the history & formline of nearly all players. (He's professional in this respect and it's why he has lasted so long.) But this doesn't seem to register with any of you critics. I listen to other commentators and I get the distinct impression that NONE OF THEM bother to watch any of the games they're not calling. Most of them are just taking the piss. They're pretenders. But as long as they sound good and blend into the background, that's okay, huh?
I like David King because he says some original/insightful things that I generally agree with (but probably thought of myself, independently of him), so it's good to get that affirmation.
I like Dermie because he says things I hadn't thought of before, and then I think about it a bit more and think "Ah yer, that makes sense, that's really good insight".
Most of the others are pretty run of the mill and generally just trot out cliches, pointing out that certain players are All-Australians because they assume the audience don't know (to be fair, this is probably true for the majority of people watching, especially if it's a less popular interstate club). FOX Footy is definitely 100 times better than Chan 7. BT now just seems to stir controversy for no reason, he is probably being fed stuff from Chan 7 producers who are reading the social media sentiment (basically like having a homer call the game). Some people might be a fan of that but it really annoys me. Cameron Ling...just a sounding board there for the others to bounce ideas off.

I guess it all really depends on what you want from your commentator, some fans don't care about analysis or original observations and just want to watch the game and enjoy it for what it is for them "KICK the bloody thing forward!!@#$"...abuse some umpires, complain about how bad their fringe players are etc. etc., each to their own.

It would have been refreshing if the telecast was someone getting excited about the tactical battle that was happening and explained it with some deeper analysis than 'Geelong are old'. Did they forget that a game is played between two teams and not in a vacuum? It was almost like they thought Geelong had full control around how the game would flow, as if Hawthorn wasn't even there. I didn't hear one thing about why Hawthorn were playing the way they were playing, especially before 'GT' happened. They were down between 2-4 goals and were letting Geelong chip it around, why was no one complaining that the hawks should play man on man and hard forward press to win the ball back? Instead it was just all negative and trashing Geelong. But maybe that's what the majority of fans want to hear in such a situation because they're equally frustrated and can't see it from anyone else's perspective (ie. coaches and teams trying to give themselves the best chance to win)?

Yeah we blew some chances, but that kick from Wingard was a goal, Stanley a cheat claiming he touched it. CJ's tackle, no holding the ball, c'mon, horrible non-decision. And your players down at the pussy cats, and coach, get a haircut, ffs you bunch of pussies

Can you ask this bloke where he got his 50% off discount half-haircut?

Screenshot_20210406-135936.png

Back