Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 4 - Swans v Bombers Thurs April 8th 7:20pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

There were two clear cases where there were multiple frees that should have been paid against Essendon from point blank range which weren't that for all money would have ended up in two goals, so this isn't the one way traffic being claimed.

Cancelled out from other poor calls that gifted you goals, the around the ground calls for you and non calls for us played the biggest part in the result.

Anyway it's done now, we move, I'm happy with how we played against a good team.

It did. Over a third more, especially if you include the two set shots and Gulden's shot in the last that went OOTF.

Nah, it's only generated 3 more inside 50's. Multiple scores from free kicks/non free kicks are more than enough to account for the difference.

Nah, it's only generated 3 more inside 50's. Multiple scores from free kicks/non free kicks are more than enough to account for the difference.
Leaving aside the fact that actual shots taken is probably a better indicator of scoring opportunities given Essendon's low i50 conversation rate, can you give examples of these non free kicks and when they were that accounted for the difference.

Gulden was pulled back by his shoulder and neck and wasn't going to ground, which occured after he was hip and shouldered in the back in a contest and before McGrath made front on contact with Mills to spoil a mark.

Three clear as day calls missed right in front of the Swans goal

I've addressed this one previously and you have a very generous recollection of it in Essendon's favour. Where you say Tippa was tackled without it, he actually went headfirst over the ball and into Kennedy's knees, no free for low contact called, no free called for Parker getting dragged back by his neck in that passage of play either.

But sure, let's call this one a free to Tippa 30 out in the pocket. It's balanced out by the three atrocious misses against Sydney at the start of the fourth which would have given a shot right in front.

What else do you have?

Papley and Mackanerny getting goals from terrible decisions.

And no it is not balanced out. You're a bit of a silly if you think so.

Papley and Mackanerny getting goals from terrible decisions.
Which ones?
And no it is not balanced out. You're a bit of a silly if you think so.
I'm silly for thinking that a line ball call to Tippa near the boundary isn't balanced out by three really clear missed calls to the Swans less than 20 out on a slight angle? Okey then.

This thread is getting saltier and saltier.
The Sydney ump academies need to be shut down !!!

Most sane people think that the home crowd effects the umpiring at the SCG. Would you disagree? I think the Sydney accadamies are great. I just think that all clubs should have an academy zone. The players in their aren't locked up because clubs can bid for them on the open market.

Which ones?

I'm silly for thinking that a line ball call to Tippa near the boundary isn't balanced out by three really clear missed calls to the Swans less than 20 out on a slight angle? Okey then.

If you don't think that Sydney got an outrageous rub of the green through that game then you're either trolling or a silly.

Holding and too high respectively.
When for the Papley one? I'm not sure what issue there is with the McInerney one, given the tackle by McGrath started and finished high on a standing opponent and was preceded by Wicks being dragged down by Guelfi after the ball was knocked towards the point where McInerney collected it.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210409-110423~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210409-110423~2.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 13

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Leaving aside the fact that actual shots taken is probably a better indicator of scoring opportunities given Essendon's low i50 conversation rate, can you give examples of these non free kicks and when they were that accounted for the difference.

Clear jumper pull on Francis for Buddy set shot. Plus high contact with the other hand with a neck push. So that’s two they missed in 1.

Langford Htb before Parker’s goal wasn’t the standard for the rest of the night.

Dangerous tackle on Warner that should have been htb 40 out directly in front. Which then the wasn’t consistent with Wicks tackle on Guelfi before Reid’s goal

No arm chop on Wright from Hickey before McInenarys first plus he ducked for his second and should have been done htb seconds earlier.

Multiple deliberates that generated inside 50s for you and then wasn’t applied when Cunningham kicked it blindly from the centre of the ground to the boundary.

That’s about enough for the difference. There is no reason in a game with hundreds of infringements to have a 13 free kick differential.

Last edited:
Most sane people think that the home crowd effects the umpiring at the SCG. Would you disagree? I think the Sydney accadamies are great. I just think that all clubs should have an academy zone. The players in their aren't locked up because clubs can bid for them on the open market.

You can't give some clubs a academy with the amount of talent they generate otherwise you go back to the days where 2-3 teams would win flags every year.

When NSW is generating the same amount of talent as SA/WA/VIC they wont be a need for academies as you can see they are working when you see talent from NSW making it to other clubs.

We have actually been criticized for not making enough noise at the SCG we need to be LOUDER.

Clear jumper pull on Francis for Buddy set shot.
Yeah, given that many of Buddy's leads during the night featured Francis hanging off his waist for no call, I'm not sure this is an outrageous example, especially when Hooker got a shot at goal from a phantom jumper pull.

Langford Htb before Parker’s goal wasn’t the standard for the rest of the night.
Really vague. How was it not the standard? One handed fend off, a spin, tackled after the second evasion attempt. Even if it wasn't called, Blakey had picked up the ball and play didn't stop.

Dangerous tackle on Warner that should have been htb 40 out directly in front. Which then the wasn’t consistent with Wicks tackle on Guelfi before Reid’s goal
That would be the dangerous tackle that got a fine from the MRO? No, I don't think that should have been holding the ball.

Wicks also didn't pin Guelfi and dump him on his head, so no, they're not similar.

No arm chop on Wright from Hickey before McIn narys first plus he ducked for his second and should have been done htb seconds earlier.
There was no contact to the arms before McInerney's first.The ball had bounced out of Wright's hands and away before Hickey's arm even got there McInerney was standing and initial contact was high for his second, even if we ignore the clear missed free to Wicks earlier.

Multiple deliberates that generated inside 50s for you and then wasn’t applied when Cunningham kicked it blindly from the centre of the ground to the boundary.
Assuming we take this as entirely correct, the Cunningham OOB wouldn't have generated an i50.

Last edited:
Yeah, given that many of Buddy's leads during the night featured Francis hanging off his waist for no call, I'm not sure this is an outrageous example, especially when Hooker got a shot at goal from a phantom jumper pull.

Really vague. How was it not the standard? One handed fend off, a spin, tackled after the second evasion attempt. Even if it wasn't called, Blakey had picked up the ball and play didn't stop.

That would be the dangerous tackle that got a fine from the MRO? No, I don't think that should have been holding the ball.

Wicks also didn't pin Guelfi and dump him on his head, so no, they're not similar.

There was no contact to the arms before McInerney's first.The ball had bounced out of Wright's hands and away before Hickey's arm even got there McInerney was standing and initial contact was high for his second, even if we ignore the clear missed free to Wicks earlier.

Assuming we take this as entirely correct, the Cunningham OOB wouldn't have generated an i50.

Yeah no wrong to all of them... You clearly have a different biased view to mine own. Bottom line is there is no reason for a 13 free kick differential in a game with 100 incidental potential frees.

Sure. I provided my reasoning, you're welcome to do the same when you've stopped pissing blood.

We are both biased. Difference is my bias is backed with a thread of opposition supporters telling us we got rogered.

We are both biased. Difference is my bias is backed with a thread of opposition supporters telling us we got rogered.
Mine was based on things like screenshots of incidents Bombers fans have claimed were outrageous and the MRO saying a tackle you said wasn't a dangerous tackle was actually a dangerous tackle. Potayto, potato.

Mine was based on things like screenshots of incidents Bombers fans have claimed were outrageous and the MRO saying a tackle you said wasn't a dangerous tackle was actually a dangerous tackle. Potayto, potato.

The AFL ticked off the Hickey free, they are beyond protectionist of their own mistakes. Them fining Langford isn’t evidence of player malfeasance, but brand management.

The AFL ticked off the Hickey free, they are beyond protectionist of their own mistakes. Them fining Langford isn’t evidence of player malfeasance, but brand management.
Or because a player had his arm pinned and was slung in a two-movment tackle that resulted in his head hitting the ground unprotected. Always that option.

Back