Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 4 - Swans v Bombers Thurs April 8th 7:20pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There was no evidence because the AFL smuggled all documents out of the country using Brent Harvey as a mule. He was selected due to being the AFL player who was most easily able to to pass as a child, and as such was unlikely to be subjected to strip searches. He was then delisted prematurely, just short of 450 games, in order to stop the footy media from joining the dots. Educate yourself.

Fair point.

Better call Saul.

J_Moore

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 8, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
My big takeaway from tonight was reconfirmation that the football media (and bigfooty posters) are idiots. Massively overrating the Swans off the back of 3 wins, and unfairly writing off the Bombers off the back of one loss.

anyway, pretty mediocre game all up

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
No he didn't.

He took at least 4 in a canter then didn't get rid of the ball.

He had already dropped the ball in a tackle twice on the Essendon half-forward flank anyhow.

The biggest indication of how bad it was was the last play in Essendon's forward line for the 3rd quarter. There were about 4 free kicks that should have been paid to Essendon play on play on play on ... then boom first tackle against a low Sydney player boom free kick.

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My big takeaway from tonight was reconfirmation that the football media (and bigfooty posters) are idiots. Massively overrating the Swans off the back of 3 wins, and unfairly writing off the Bombers off the back of one loss.

anyway, pretty mediocre game all up

Including yourself?

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
I think you're reading a little deeply inyo this. You melodramatically claimed that there were no terrible calls that favoured Essendon, I pointed out an incident with two really bad missed calls at a point where Sydney would have undoubtedly goaled. No further point than that.
Ah, I see where you ****ed up.

You missed my very first point. I wasn't saying that at all.

Everything from there was just you going on about a point you missed entirely.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
The biggest indication of how bad it was was the last play in Essendon's forward line for the 3rd quarter. There were about 4 free kicks that should have been paid to Essendon play on play on play on ... then boom first tackle against a low Sydney player boom free kick.
Should have been a free kick first when Tippa dived head first over the ball into Kennedy's shins, or when Parker was pulled back from over his shoulder, neither of which was paid, so I don't think that's the best example.

[/QUOTE]

Kapers

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Don't know how I feel with the "Essendon should've won" sentiment. If you take into account only one stat, umpires, then yes, Essendon should've won, but literally every other stat (except tackling) went the swan's way. If we kick straight we win by 4-5 goals. We even kicked it out on the full 3 times when going for goal.

The grabbing it out of the ruck rule was thrown out a couple of years ago hence it's now up to umpire INTERPRETATION of whether the ruckman who takes possession 1) has enough deemed time to dispose of the ball and 2) if YES whether he's disposed of it incorrectly or not.

The interpretation wasn't great and has been mixed all season to date.

And there were plenty of instances where did take it and IMO have ample time/took steps to dispose of it and it wasn't called hence he went with it all night where he could which was a smart thing to do on his account and poor judgement by the umpires overall.

Swans would have won comfortably had they kicked straight TBH. The small margin exacerbates the Hickey stuff.

Ironically FORMER Essendon football manager Dan Richardson is the AFL's new head of umpiring. He and Hocking need seriously to have a good look at themselves and get 1) back to basics 2) reward the tackler and 3) me more defining with the INTERPRETATIONS.

Umpiring to date this season 4/10 was about a 6/10 last year.

Last edited:

Agenda 21

Club Legend
Mar 9, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Hickey had as much of a chance to dispose of the ball, as Mark Blicavs v Brisbane.

The former not only lost the ball, he lost it trying to dispose of the ball.

You have prior opportunity, if you GRAB it out of the ruck.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
Watching the start of the fourth, I the first thirty seconds, 20 out from goal, Gulden shoved in the back, no call, recovers and gets the ball before being dragged high by Guelfi ( no call noted by the commentators for those it matters to), ball gets cleared and kicked to Mills who drops the mark when he's hit front on by McGrath with no call. Three missed in a row, less than 20 out from the Swans goal.

But yeah, that Hickey call on the bombers half back flank. Awful stuff.

The Hickey non holding the ball interpretation up Essendon's end was the correct call. The one down the Swans end was wrong and he probably should have been pinged. Not sure if the same ump making the call but the audible interpretation saying the first one was not a rule anymore probably influenced the incorrect interpretation on the second one. Can understand supporters being upset with that one but a lot would have still had to happen from that decision before it equated to an Essendon win. In the end can complain until you're blue in the face, didn't change anything for the Lions when the AFL came out and said they got the last second Bailey tackle interpretation wrong. Was still a Geelong win.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
If you grab it out of the ruck, try to dispose it, and completely drop/throw the ball, it should be pinged.

If you take it, get caught and the ball is held to you and/or knocked out, in the tackle, then fair game.

If I'm wrong, whale oil beef hooked.
So you agree Hickey shouldn't have been pinged, given your second scenario is what happened?

Back