Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 4 - Swans v Bombers Thurs April 8th 7:20pm EST (SCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 29 47.5%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JayJ20

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2016
AFL Club
Essendon
They were in winning positions because we didn't put them to bed. And yes bad kicking is bad football, but we dominated that game inside and out. We should've kicked better and put them 50 points down before the end of the 3rd. That was nothing but a percentage loss for us. We were never going to lose that game.
Your dominance meant nothing because we forced you wide by blocking the corridor and our constant pressure meant you had to rush your kicks and kick for goal in difficult angles.

Decent umpiring alone would have won us that game, let alone Draper coming back.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
What about that 'play on' call where Papley stopped and said 'yeah nah'.
Buddy would have kicked that goal and put us 3 goals up.

How can you argue that? Papley picked up the ball after the whistle had blown moved then forward realised nothing was on and tried to reverse his decision to play on.

You don’t get to check if it’s advantage before you take advantage.

Jun 12, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Check the rules. It isn’t.
No, I'm pretty sure running unopposed with ball in hand and getting tackled when you had prior opportunity has always been HTB. Hickey gets the ball, Cox is well behind him, he takes 4-5 steps, ignores the handball to Parker, and then gets tackled. Blatant missed call. If that had happened after a handball receive in the middle of the ground there would be zero doubt, but the umpire choked it.

Last edited:
Apr 10, 2005
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Anaheim Angels, UA Crimson Tide
Watching the start of the fourth, I the first thirty seconds, 20 out from goal, Gulden shoved in the back, no call, recovers and gets the ball before being dragged high by Guelfi ( no call noted by the commentators for those it matters to), ball gets cleared and kicked to Mills who drops the mark when he's hit front on by McGrath with no call. Three missed in a row, less than 20 out from the Swans goal.

But yeah, that Hickey call on the bombers half back flank. Awful stuff.
Not to mention Reid getting decapitated in front of goal and nothing.

Roby

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jul 27, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Those grabs out of the ruck never get paid for HTB. No matter how long they have it for.

Also the Bombers should stop complaining about umpiring when you got a massive leg up in round 1.

Swans fans just go watch the round 1 game and you'll see for yourself how one sided and incorrect it was.

Desync

Team Captain
Mar 5, 2021
AFL Club
Essendon
Those grabs out of the ruck never get paid for HTB. No matter how long they have it for.

Also the Bombers should stop complaining about umpiring when you got a massive leg up in round 1.

Swans fans just go watch the round 1 game and you'll see for yourself how one sided and incorrect it was.
You won though ;)

tropicaltiger

🏆2017 🏆2019 🏆2020
Jan 4, 2002
cairns
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Snakes
But, as you say, he did make an attempt.
when he grabbed it it was ok, then he tried to barge thru tacklers it was iffy then he kept wiggling instead of trying to dispose then baaaaaaaaaaaaalllll for at least 3 seconds and then he dropped it like a hot spud to make sure of it.

Kummerspeck

Cancelled
Pokemon is Life
Sep 12, 2013
AFL Club
Sydney
when he grabbed it it was ok, then he tried to barge thru tacklers it was iffy then he kept wiggling instead of trying to dispose then baaaaaaaaaaaaalllll for at least 3 seconds and then he dropped it like a hot spud to make sure of it.
That's...not what happened.

flyinghi64

Premiership Player
Dec 7, 2006
perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
From a neutral who picked swans to win and watched the whole game, Bombers were robbed.
One of the worst one sided umpiring I have seen in a while.
Tippa, good luck mate. Held without it then tackled high no free. Lays a tackle that barely tickles above the shoulder and free against all within a 30 sec play. Just one example.
First qtr not too badly umpired but after that omg.
Would be pretty upset if i was a bomber supporter.

TheKITC

Cancelled
Mar 7, 2009
The Cupboard
AFL Club
Carlton
Surely taking the piss that umpire Mollison gave Sydney 16 frees to our 1. That can’t be legit surely

Pretty damning statistic

It's not damning at all without context. Were they all correct decisions? If not, which ones were blatantly wrong, how many were 50-50?

If he sees 16 free kicks for Sydney, is he expected to even the count up and just pay some to Essendon for nothing?

I bang on about it, but people seriously need to move on from "free kick count being equal = a well officiated game". Dumbest logic on BF and that is saying plenty...

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
The Hickey one should've been htb, he got lucky there. I saw a lot that weren't paid too us either, especially that Gulden high tackle in the 4th qr. Don't really think we got rub of the green, rather Essendon did despite the free kick count it should've been even more to us to be completely honest. We deserved the win, should've iced it but poor goal kicking cost us throughout. Esssendon did their homework on us very well.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
The Hickey one should've been htb, he got lucky there. I saw a lot that weren't paid too us either, especially that Gulden high tackle in the 4th qr. Don't really think we got rub of the green, rather Essendon did despite the free kick count it should've been even more to us to be completely honest. We deserved the win, should've iced it but poor goal kicking cost us throughout. Esssendon did their homework on us very well.

Other teams will probably look at what we did

Happy with the effort I think we have a pretty good coaching set up now in Rutten,Caracella,Giansiracusa

Apr 6, 2008
coburg
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Australian cricket team
Well same sh*t tonight then aye. We destroyed Essendon all game on contested and uncontested possessions. Should've put them to bed, and a handful of freekicks around the ground would've made no difference to us dominating tonight.

Sydney won the clearances, Essendon won the tackles. Everything else was pretty even, except for the free kicks. In fact, one could argue that the difference in free-kicks being 15 would easily account for the difference of 30 disposals.

Black Saab

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 14, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Its not about the free kick count, its about the right decisions.

Wait, wait, wait... So the umpiring was supposedly terrible both ways tonight yes? By this logic one team copped 15 bad calls whilst the other had to suffer nearly 30 of them and the final margin was less than a goal. If the umpiring is bad then the free kick count becomes a factor.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Sydney won the clearances, Essendon won the tackles. Everything else was pretty even, except for the free kicks. In fact, one could argue that the difference in free-kicks being 15 would easily account for the difference of 30 disposals.

3 more inside 50's despite winning the clearances by 23. It's not an effective metric. Hasn't been since Hawthorn's dynasty. Also free kicks actually count as contested possessions. So effectively minus 13 contested ball from their tally.

Oct 1, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Everton, Storm, Victory
Wait, wait, wait... So the umpiring was supposedly terrible both ways tonight yes? By this logic one team copped 15 bad calls whilst the other had to suffer nearly 30 of them and the final margin was less than a goal. If the umpiring is bad then the free kick count becomes a factor.

There is really no reason for the free kick count to ever be lopsided. There are hundreds of letter of law infringements every game. If they only paid the significant grievances there might be reason for unbalanced counts, but the decisions are so random in their significance.

dean33

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2007
melb
AFL Club
Richmond
Or you lost to the Swans last week and can't get over it like your coach
Mate we’ve lost in rd 3 for 3 years running, frankly losses in April don’t really bother me. What does bother me is incompetent umpiring in favour of teams like yours and Geelong when you play at home. If it’s true that one umpire paid 16 free kicks to Sydney and 1 to essendon, don’t you think that’s a worry? I’d be saying the same thing if the game was at marvel and the result was reversed.

MVille Swan

Senior List
Aug 13, 2016
Inner West
AFL Club
Sydney
I was there when you were whoring yourself out at the SCG over 20yrs ago handing out pamplets trying to convert Sydney members to North.

I took a few home and wiped my ass with them.

Yes, the halcyon years for North. Who can ever forget them. The free North shirt I received at one of the SCG games is still one of
my most cherished possessions.

Back