Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 5 - Saints v Tigers Thurs April 15th 7:20pm EST (Marvel) Tigercast Link in OP!

Who will win and by how much?

• Saints by a goal or less

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Saints by 7 - 20

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 38.9%
  • Saints by a lot

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

We are closer to the end than many realise, especially our own supporters. It's not like Richmond to run an opposition into the ground; usually the cue goes in the rack at 40-50 points lead. This game meant something. Players were on notice.

IMO a loss tonight meant the same olds could no longer be relied upon, and we'd need to start rotating youth through the team. That point may still arrive this year.

St.Kilda gave up, really. IMO the 5-day break probably had something to do with it, but Richmond was coming off a tough match and a hat-trick of 6-day breaks.
nah disagree
Hear J Reiwoldt?
Youngsters, you have the second oldest list.............
yes, but I was referring to the youngsters we have. Not the whole list.
Saints to Hobart
North to Darwin
Solves a lot of issues.
Both keep jumpers / name and history. Do it properly unlike south melb and fitzroy. They really stuffed that up.

Darwin Kangaroos
Hobart Saints

Get it done AFL. But do it properly.
North of melbourne has Carlton
South East of Melbourne has Hawthorn.

It makes sense to do this. It is harsh on North fans going to Darwin but its eirher that or do NBA and have conferences.

Sure they are both lovely blokes but as commentators it’s like they have both been attacked by a personality vacuum.
Well we did find out from Joel that he has won more games than he has lost......riveting and relevant

They played finals for the three seasons before that however.

And Saints are like the second oldest list...
A lot of people forget that we had played finals three years in a row, before 2016 . Saints have played finals 1 year in a row , I Expect a DVD

nah disagree
Hear J Reiwoldt?

No, was at the game.

Can't get around the fact that Richmond is an old team. Like Collingwood we are putting out our oldest teams for almost 100 years. Players will fall off the perch and we'll transition to Geelong mode, trying to string it out and pinch another flag while staggering the retirements.

Not saying Richmond will fall off a cliff; think we're now too well-run for that. But anything is possible when you're pushing the age ceiling.

St. Kilda this year has won just as many quarters in the season as North, and that includes last night's game when St. Kilda won the first quarter so they could still easily be behind by the end of this week.
All good. I just dont wanna win the spoon. saints v North is huge.
its pretty simple
wirh Marshall and/or Ryder we are a much better team.
First q we played good. Hunter was contributing. But then he went bad as did Dunstan and then we just dripped off while the tigers had a good night.

with Marshall and Ryder we will destroy North. My happiness is now just mot getting the spoon and getting pick 2.

2022 - we will be back. ;)

Really need King, Clark, Bytel and Coffield to start having a bigger impact. Clark was good last night, and Battle. Marshall would have helped but we don't just auto win with him and Ryder in the side, thats a dangerous mindset.

No, was at the game.

Can't get around the fact that Richmond is an old team. Like Collingwood we are putting out our oldest teams for almost 100 years. Players will fall off the perch and we'll transition to Geelong mode, trying to string it out and pinch another flag while staggering the retirements.

Not saying Richmond will fall off a cliff; think we're now too well-run for that. But anything is possible when you're pushing the age ceiling.

Hang on. Bolton Lynch Balta Prestia Short Martin - wheres the old age? They are good to go for another 5 years.
Chol CRD. You have great system coaches and admin. they are the keys to clubs.
Passing on Luke Beveridge to coach was the saints biggest mistake in the last 10 years. with petracca and Bontempelli a close second.

All good. I just dont wanna win the spoon. saints v North is huge.
its pretty simple
wirh Marshall and/or Ryder we are a much better team.
First q we played good. Hunter was contributing. But then he went bad as did Dunstan and then we just dripped off while the tigers had a good night.

with Marshall and Ryder we will destroy North. My happiness is now just mot getting the spoon and getting pick 2.

2022 - we will be back. ;)
You'd be happy to finish 2nd last with the oldest list in the competition?

Also good job if you destroy North... 3 clubs already beat you to it and we're 4 rounds in.

Saints bad is really bad and if they come across a flared up North like they did against Essendon or Richmond, I would think North would win.

The original post wasn't meant to highlight a positive for North rather a negative for St. Kilda.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hang on. Bolton Lynch Balta Prestia Short Martin - wheres the old age? They are good to go for another 5 years.

But they ain't Cotchin Riewoldt Edwards Houli. Dusty is 30 in June. Injuries happen.

Geelong is the best-run club in the comp and they haven't been able to pinch another flag in the last decade. The 2011 premiership team was the oldest since wartime at 27.27. Richmond will likely be older than that when the finals roll around. It's the classic optimist/pessimist contrast of perspectives, but you can't beat the inexorable march of Father Time.

The saints performance reminded me of the tiges performance same fixture 2017. Out paced and pressured, the system broke down, and eventually they lost all resistance. The diff is that 17 tiges were only a few months into their new system, the saints are over a year into theirs.

The saints can't be as bad as they played. I think Ratten will respond rationally and calmly to the minor crisis.

Saints fans struggling with the “excessive criticism” ban, I’m here for you. Send it all to me. The more vile it is the better... let it all out son! Ryder soft? Hill fat? Jones a plodder? Thought you were a finals hope this year?

Tell me about McCartin over Petracca, tell me about Ratten’s plan B. Tell me everything!

My PMs are open for you!
cc me into it please guys

Passing on Luke Beveridge to coach was the saints biggest mistake in the last 10 years. with petracca and Bontempelli a close second.
Clark and Coffield are developing ok but they were both selected just before Naughton too

Agreed.
Give us the $$ and picks we could do it.
North to Darwin
Saints to Hobart.
We have connections there.
Makes sense.
Give us COLA, 3x round 1 Priority picks for 3 years, new facilities and $$$ for coaches.
Im in. best thing about being a saints fan is nothing matters. You worry about rule changes, and the hame dying off but me? nah do what you like. AFL because of lefties will be gone in 10-15 years. too dangerous. you watch.

You don't get COLA, it should actually be a reverse COLA because it's Tasmania.

We have some pretty key pieces to replace soon. Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards and Houli are year by year prospects. Grimes and Martin will be 30 before the year is out, Lynch and Prestia turn 30 in October next year. The first 4 have missed significant chunks in recent years and we’ve been ok, but the latter 4 are absolutely vital cogs and while they still have a few years left in them, they are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. That’s 4 of our absolute best we will need to replace, one of which is a generational player. We’ve got some good kids coming up, and we have a very strong hand in this year’s draft which we will hopefully use to full effect. But the reality is our best 22 is pretty old and will change more in the next few years than in the last few, and not necessarily for the better. If we can keep competing and winning flags while doing that it will be an incredible achievement.

We have some pretty key pieces to replace soon. Riewoldt, Cotchin, Edwards and Houli are year by year prospects. Grimes and Martin will be 30 before the year is out, Lynch and Prestia turn 30 in October next year. The first 4 have missed significant chunks in recent years and we’ve been ok, but the latter 4 are absolutely vital cogs and while they still have a few years left in them, they are closer to the end of their careers than the beginning. That’s 4 of our absolute best we will need to replace, one of which is a generational player. We’ve got some good kids coming up, and we have a very strong hand in this year’s draft which we will hopefully use to full effect. But the reality is our best 22 is pretty old and will change more in the next few years than in the last few, and not necessarily for the better. If we can keep competing and winning flags while doing that it will be an incredible achievement.
If you are down the ladder, you will only be down there for a couple or few years at most.

I kinda get the point in general but the saints were really disappointing tonight. I was genuinely nervous before the game and the saints were awful In front of a national audience. Their flaws were exposed. I think these rules have to be flexible and consider the context. Anytime Richmond got pumped I would be angry; it's natural and human. I mean their coach admitted they took three steps forward and five steps back, surely the fans are noticing who is taking the steps back and want to discuss how this side gets better. And that may include dumping and delisting some flawed players.
People get emotional but letting it swamp everything isn’t good for the board. That’s basically it.

But they ain't Cotchin Riewoldt Edwards Houli. Dusty is 30 in June. Injuries happen.

Geelong is the best-run club in the comp and they haven't been able to pinch another flag in the last decade. The 2011 premiership team was the oldest since wartime at 27.27. Richmond will likely be older than that when the finals roll around. It's the classic optimist/pessimist contrast of perspectives, but you can't beat the inexorable march of Father Time.
100% agree, but while we keep being defending premiers then those key older players have every right to stay on and keep pushing for one more.
I think whether we win the flag this year will have a big impact on how many of those players stay on.
I also don't see players like Dusty or Edwards slowing down too much any time soon, even if they are over 30

Back