Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 7 - Bombers v Blues Sun May 2nd 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Bombers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Bombers by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Bombers by a lot

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Bayern, Milan, Boston Celtics
I thought that was a pretty darn entertaining game of footy.

Blues clearly further advanced in their progression and had a little more poise and petrol at the end. Trending upwards which is great. How good is Walsh?

Can't fault the Bombers endeavours - their kids were great but their leaders poor.

I think the time's up for Hepp, Hooksy (maybe 1 more year?), Hurls and Zaka so need some blokes to come in in that 23-26 yo bracket. But that's prob 3m $ to spend wisely keeping the kids and Zerrett and Parish long term and trying to get Dunks and Billings for next year.
Hooker & Zaka contracts up this year. I reckon Hooker chooses whether he goes on or not, not us. We'd surely want him playing again, even as a reserve forward option
Heppell and Hurley both have a contract to next year, and i imagine are our two highest paid players (depending how deals were structured back in 2016)
Not sure all 4 account for 3m, but it would be a fair chunk. Add to that we had good deals on the table for Saad & Daniher, lost McKenna & who knows what Raz would have been on.

Got some key re-signs we need to land (Merrett, Parish, Stringer, Jones, Bryan, Laverde & Redman), but i imagine there will be a decent chest of $$$ to work with after that
It would be an absolute dream scenario to keep Merrett & co, get Billings via FA & trade into Dunkley whilst keeping what will be a top 5 pick this year.

Year was never about wins and losses for us.
I keep going back to the Lions rebuild. The year before they shot up they lost so many games by under 3-4 goals. Seeing a lot of that in us.

I'm assuming you were referring to the one against Levi in the middle when he got the handball, was immediately tackled, dropped the ball while trying to kick it, then heeled it backwards?
That was not a free. No prior, made a genuine attempt. The rules are pretty clear on that one.
View attachment 1117646

fair enough imo. Didnt look like a free to me.

can you do the same for McGoverns late hit on Hind :)

Hooker & Zaka contracts up this year. I reckon Hooker chooses whether he goes on or not, not us. We'd surely want him playing again, even as a reserve forward option
Heppell and Hurley both have a contract to next year, and i imagine are our two highest paid players (depending how deals were structured back in 2016)
Not sure all 4 account for 3m, but it would be a fair chunk. Add to that we had good deals on the table for Saad & Daniher, lost McKenna & who knows what Raz would have been on.

Got some key re-signs we need to land (Merrett, Parish, Stringer, Jones, Bryan, Laverde & Redman), but i imagine there will be a decent chest of $$$ to work with after that
It would be an absolute dream scenario to keep Merrett & co, get Billings via FA & trade into Dunkley whilst keeping what will be a top 5 pick this year.

Year was never about wins and losses for us.
I keep going back to the Lions rebuild. The year before they shot up they lost so many games by under 3-4 goals. Seeing a lot of that in us.

Hookers coming third in the Coleman

definitely want him to stay another year just so Jones can develop.

Obviously wont get near the cash he's on now

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
fair enough imo. Didnt look like a free to me.

can you do the same for McGoverns late hit on Hind :)
Is this the part where I then go and find another call that was or wasn't made in our favour and say 'yeah, but what about this one?'
But I agree. The late hit was a weird one. Was right in front of the umpire too from memory. Was surprised it wasn't called. Was definitely a missed call, but like I said, how many do we point out each way?
I was just replying to a specific mention of a supposed missed free that the rules clearly state isn't.

Is this the part where I then go and find another call that was or wasn't made in our favour and say 'yeah, but what about this one?'
But I agree. The late hit was a weird one. Was right in front of the umpire too from memory. Was surprised it wasn't called. Was definitely a missed call, but like I said, how many do we point out each way?
I was just replying to a specific mention of a supposed missed free that the rules clearly state isn't.

Like I said game was pretty well umpired.

The late hit on hind was the standout blunder for me, didn't impact the game though.

Razor Ray is just a FIGJAM *******.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Like I said game was pretty well umpired.

The late hit on hind was the standout blunder for me, didn't impact the game though.

Razor Ray is just a FIGJAM *******.
i thought by and large it was well umpired. There were a handful of bizarre calls.
two of the 50s were soft (One against Cox, one against Hind for language after he'd been hit behind the ball)

Be interesting to see if Gov is cited for the hit plus the jumper punches.

Casboult & Gibbons non-HTB calls were frustrating. On the Gibbons one, i think Dev is his own enemy there with the lip and looks he gives umps.
I don't agree that you can drop the ball in a tackle contest. Knock out is fine, but prior shouldn't come into it when you drop it, just as it doesn't if you throw the ball. Opinion though, rule is the rule.
Redman hammed up the hold, but hamming it up doesn't negate the free and the explanation was ludicrous.
As was the fact Betts is allowed to be tackled to the ground then dispose of it after ample prior....that may be a new interpretation though. Seeing a lot of it across many games.

Sep 2, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
My favourite was Betts' goal review in the 2nd quarter when they apparently forgot what side of the big stick is a goal.

How some of those guys collect a paycheck with a straight face, good lord.

Whats the point of having goal umpires if half the time they call for the video review? There was one yesterday where it was clearly a behind but the goal umpire still called for the review

If these goal umpires can't back thier judgement then they shouldn't be goal umpires

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
My favourite was Betts' goal review in the 2nd quarter when they apparently forgot what side of the big stick is a goal.

the zoomed view was a bit of a mirage. I thought it was a behind and was disappointed Laverde had given a free away for another shot
Zoom out, clear goal.

I'd get rid of video review and trust the goal umps call. for the sake of <5% of calls it slows the game down too much.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Didn't agree with the Stringer free against

What else was he supposed to do he had to protect him self yet Carlton cop a free.

Should have been play on imo was a great contest between three players
the fact you take your eye off the ball for a split second, then have it back on the ball and it's still called is wrong.
All good if at the point of the contest your eyes are on your opponent. A quick glance for awareness then back on the ball should equal a contest.

Whats the point of having goal umpires if half the time they call for the video review? There was one yesterday where it was clearly a behind but the goal umpire still called for the review

If these goal umpires can't back thier judgement then they shouldn't be goal umpires
I suppose without McGuire in the commentary box they shouldn't be worried they will be dropped for a bad call.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
i thought by and large it was well umpired. There were a handful of bizarre calls.
two of the 50s were soft (One against Cox, one against Hind for language after he'd been hit behind the ball)

Be interesting to see if Gov is cited for the hit plus the jumper punches.

Casboult & Gibbons non-HTB calls were frustrating. On the Gibbons one, i think Dev is his own enemy there with the lip and looks he gives umps.
I don't agree that you can drop the ball in a tackle contest. Knock out is fine, but prior shouldn't come into it when you drop it, just as it doesn't if you throw the ball. Opinion though, rule is the rule.
Redman hammed up the hold, but hamming it up doesn't negate the free and the explanation was ludicrous.
As was the fact Betts is allowed to be tackled to the ground then dispose of it after ample prior....that may be a new interpretation though. Seeing a lot of it across many games.
Regarding Gov, he should get a week for the jumper punches IMO. As for the bump, well and truly should've been a free, but don't think there was anything worthy of suspension. Yes, it was late, but seemed a fairly clean bump with no high contact, just late and unnecessary (don't think that's suspendable?).

Gibbons one I can't recall? Can you pinpoint roughly when it was? Might go back and check it.

For Casboult, there is no debate to be had. The rules are very clear, and the interpretation is generally pretty consistent. You don't have to like it, but it is simply NOT a free. If he had just let go of it without trying to kick it maybe, but he made a genuine attempt to dispose of it legally and had no prior. It's black and white.

The Betts one, if it's the one I'm thinking of, the tackle didn't stick? Is that where the player grabbed him around the waist and Eddie lost his balance, the tackler fell off him from the momentum and Eddie used his hands (with ball in hand) to gain his balance and keep going?
Can only assume the umpire deemed that it wasn't a tackle because he didn't hold it long enough.

The Redman one, he obviously played for, which means it's hard the umpire to gauge how much contact there was and how forceful it was. Probably a 50/50 call. Ess feel hard done by for not getting it, and Blues would've felt hard done by if it was called.
Same with diving. The original contact might be there, but if you dive and get called for it, you won't get the free, regardless of whether there actually was contact or how hard it was.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Regarding Gov, he should get a week for the jumper punches IMO. As for the bump, well and truly should've been a free, but don't think there was anything worthy of suspension. Yes, it was late, but seemed a fairly clean bump with no high contact, just late and unnecessary (don't think that's suspendable?).

Gibbons one I can't recall? Can you pinpoint roughly when it was? Might go back and check it.

For Casboult, there is no debate to be had. The rules are very clear, and the interpretation is generally pretty consistent. You don't have to like it, but it is simply NOT a free. If he had just let go of it without trying to kick it maybe, but he made a genuine attempt to dispose of it legally and had no prior. It's black and white.

The Betts one, if it's the one I'm thinking of, the tackle didn't stick? Is that where the player grabbed him around the waist and Eddie lost his balance, the tackler fell off him from the momentum and Eddie used his hands (with ball in hand) to gain his balance and keep going?
Can only assume the umpire deemed that it wasn't a tackle because he didn't hold it long enough.

The Redman one, he obviously played for, which means it's hard the umpire to gauge how much contact there was and how forceful it was. Probably a 50/50 call. Ess feel hard done by for not getting it, and Blues would've felt hard done by if it was called.
Same with diving. The original contact might be there, but if you dive and get called for it, you won't get the free, regardless of whether there actually was contact or how hard it was.

Wrong Eddie one.

I thought the biggest howler on the day was the paid mark Owies/Fogarty (can’t remember who).

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams

They even had to the two camera angles side by side on screen. One showed the crowd in the background and the other showed the field, as points of reference. I couldn't understand what they were on about. I think Lingy called it first, then BT just doubled and tripled down and went for it.
Mind you, they called a couple of possessions on the boundary as clearly on the full, when they didn't appear to go out to me, and basically just accused the boundary umpires (who were right there) of just giving up or refusing to call it for some unknown reason.
Bizarre commentary.

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Wrong Eddie one.

I thought the biggest howler on the day was the paid mark Owies/Fogarty (can’t remember who).
Can't recall the Eddie one then. Not sure of the other one you're talking about either.
You're just giving me excuses to go back and watch it again now. Wasn't the first quarter, was it? I might skip that one.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Sure, fair enough. The thing about comments like that is that it suggests we didn't have any injured players out.
Draper
Caldwell
Shiel
Francis
Hurley
Pretty handy players you could say as well. And if you're including Kemp, i'll include Reid :cool:

Anyway it's just a pissing contest really. You would be happy with the win, but i'm stoked with the kids we have in the team. Strange times

Our injuries are definitely comparable to the blues especially when you consider that we forced to play our 3rd string beanpole ruckman.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Can't recall the Eddie one then. Not sure of the other one you're talking about either.
You're just giving me excuses to go back and watch it again now. Wasn't the first quarter, was it? I might skip that one.

The Eddie one wasn’t a terrible decision (not that I brought it up) more a disagreement with the way the games umpired these days. He took the tackler on got tackled to the ground and was given time get it out.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams

Gibbons one was a fairly obvious prior opportunity/HTB call. Commentary team picked up on it. Seemed an odd one for the ump to not call. But again, you win some/lose some.

The Betts one, the tackle stuck, but he got a kick away after he was brought down.
I think that interpretation has changed though.

On the Casboult one, agree. Rules say it's fine. I'm still of the school you reward the tackler vs. keeping the game going.
I'll adjust eventually :p

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Our injuries are definitely comparable to the blues especially when you consider that we forced to play our 3rd string beanpole ruckman.
The thing with our injuries is we have no depth (see VFL result) in the middle.
Nature of where we're at in the rebuild.

Need 2 or 3 mids in the MSD and a decent sharp pick come ND time

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Gibbons one was a fairly obvious prior opportunity/HTB call. Commentary team picked up on it. Seemed an odd one for the ump to not call. But again, you win some/lose some.

The Betts one, the tackle stuck, but he got a kick away after he was brought down.
I think that interpretation has changed though.

On the Casboult one, agree. Rules say it's fine. I'm still of the school you reward the tackler vs. keeping the game going.
I'll adjust eventually :p
I think there is a bit more leeway there these days. If you have an arm(s) free, they tend to give you a little more time to try and get rid of it. The problem is that it's not applied consistently.

I agree with rewarding the tackler. I don't think you can just pay HTB regardless of prior. Otherwise there's less incentive to be 1st to the ball.
If there's no prior and the ball/player are wrapped up, then you can have a bounce. But if you force a player to drop the ball or incorrectly dispose of it, then I don't think prior should come into it, but the current rules don't allow for that.

Jun 11, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
I think there is a bit more leeway there these days. If you have an arm(s) free, they tend to give you a little more time to try and get rid of it. The problem is that it's not applied consistently.

I agree with rewarding the tackler. I don't think you can just pay HTB regardless of prior. Otherwise there's less incentive to be 1st to the ball.
If there's no prior and the ball/player are wrapped up, then you can have a bounce. But if you force a player to drop the ball or incorrectly dispose of it, then I don't think prior should come into it, but the current rules don't allow for that.
Keeps the game moving i guess.
Can't really complain given the game is a lot more watchable than most years

Insufficient intent seems to have been relaxed a bit too which is good. that had the markings of a blight on the game.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

I'd get rid of video review and trust the goal umps call. for the sake of <5% of calls it slows the game down too much.

Nah can't agree, this ho-ha over goal reviews is blown out of all proportion I reckon.

Would rather it takes 5 mins and they get the call right than no break in play but they get it wrong.

Back