Autopsy AFL 2021 Round 8 - Demons v Swans Sat May 8th 7:25pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 4 9.8%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

By modern standards that was a pretty tough game. Dees fans have plenty of reasons to be pleased.

At one stage it looked like it could be a slaughter. Pleased my mob found a way to get back into it.

I hate playing the Swans. Always a grinding game and you can't relax because they play right to the final siren. How many Swans games over the years (let alone just this year!) have gone down to the final 2 minutes? Must be bloody tough being a Swans supporter but they give you value for money. 👍

They did the same with Brisbane last year. “Are Brisbane the worst top 2 side ever?”

It’s hilarious. It’s almost as if being overly successful is a bad thing these days...

The way I see it is that Melbourne aren’t playing like the best team ever but are getting the Ws. Credit to them.

If we end up being the worst premiers ever I don't think it will bother me too much

By modern standards that was a pretty tough game. Dees fans have plenty of reasons to be pleased.

At one stage it looked like it could be a slaughter. Pleased my mob found a way to get back into it.
You guys are tough. There is never an easy game against you. Of all the teams you are the one I’ll know that you won’t stop until the siren goes no matter the score

I think Melbourne fans are going to have to get their heads around their team being the real deal this year, a contender.
Now I don't propose to know that much about footy, but they are winning, and look to me to have more mental strength and just general grit than previously.

I could be going a bit early, but what the hey. Good luck Melb Fans, hope you go all the way.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swans more so than any other side have had the wood on us this century, not surprised they are the only ones who’ve managed to run us close in the fourth quarter. Would be the only side I’m afraid of playing again this year or that I wouldn’t want to get in finals.

Who are all these gross MAFS Barbies I keep seeing?

What is happening down there???
Salty Eagles fans. Them and Hawthorn (and some St Kilda fans, but who cares about them) are salty at us being 8-0. Most others have been great. Not sure what those gifs are though.

Umpires - inconsistent both ways, the one eyed saltiness from some on this thread was something else though. I saw plenty where I thought Melbourne were incredibly fortunate, both getting away with things or paid something that wasn’t there. And ditto Sydney. It’s just a very hard game to adjudicate, and with three field umpires you will get different interpretations within the same game given the high levels of subjectivity in many rules.

Centre clearances - Sydney gave Melbourne such a spanking in there. A real concern and a pattern now for Melbourne. Hickey was really good, Gawn had an OK game on the stats sheet but he has seemed a bit off both last night and last week.

McLean - first time I’ve really paid close attention to him, had a patch where I thought he was going to turn the game.

Franklin - tricky prospect for the Swans. Still shows in patches his brilliance, and did that (literally) a couple of times last night. Probably a bit unfair as it was a comeback from injury, but are those moments of brilliance enough given what he contributes the rest of the game?

Rampe - undersized and doesn’t look particularly athletic, but great game reading and always seems to do just enough to effect the contest. His disposal was also first rate in the conditions.

Papley - thouroughly dislikeable. Very selfish which can win games like it did against Geelong, but it potentially cost this one. Lots of faux toughness. Will be interesting if anything is made of him poking the cut on the back of Harmes’ head. I’d like to know if he’s loved or tolerated by his teammates.

Pickett - I hope he gets the exaggeration and over playing for frees out of his game. Last year the number of times he got held without the ball without getting a free was huge, so I suspect this is a reaction to that. It’s not working for him.

The Dees are the worst 8-0 team I've seen but they keep on winning and have learnt to win ugly like we did today.

Goodwin probably can't believe his luck, he still looks like a stunned mullet in the coaches box, Choco is clearly pulling the strings there.

Goodwin coaches from the bench. Havent seen him in the box all year.

What the hell is wrong with you?

Centre clearances - Sydney gave Melbourne such a spanking in there. A real concern and a pattern now for Melbourne. Hickey was really good, Gawn had an OK game on the stats sheet but he has seemed a bit off both last night and last week.

Jackson is spending a lot more time rucking the centre bounces, the kid is learning so it's natural the opposition will take advantage of that. When the game needs to be won they revert back to their normal set up.

I wouldn't be worried, it's a long season so Gawn needs to be managed and Jackson needs experience

Back