Autopsy AFL 2022 First Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Fri Sept 16th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 45 22.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 62 31.3%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn
That was a demolition job and a perfect display of the game plan, skill, attitude and physicality required to win big finals. Massive lesson for Brisbane. If you are still blaming the umpires somehow you are a fool.

Geelong won easily. Doesnt mean you cant separately say the umpiring was poor.

Brisbane tackles unrewarded even with 2 handed throws, Geelong tackles rewarded.

Be interesting to see which umpires get the GF. Some years all the umpires from 1 PF have been picked.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not necessarily. Collingwood plays an electric game. You will have to be at your best though, Fremantle got spooked last week. You travel very well and have the defence to handle the swans forwards. It’s going to be a great game.
My expectations are very low! I don't believe the "post finals bye" myth. Geelong last night played exactly how a side should play their 2nd game in 4 weeks IMO. Fresh, focused, sharp and aggressive. I'm expecting similar from the Swans today, it's gonna be very tough for the Pies.

Pusswah

Premiership Player
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Fremantle
Just shows the gap between the top four and bottom four of the eight teams. They're a cut above.

Though it would appear the tough time that Brisbane seem to have in finals of late isn't as far behind them as was suggested last week.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Geelong won easily. Doesnt mean you cant separately say the umpiring was poor.

Brisbane tackles unrewarded even with 2 handed throws, Geelong tackles rewarded.

Be interesting to see which umpires get the GF. Some years all the umpires from 1 PF have been picked.
The in the back frees to Brisbane from Geelong tackles were poor also. I think it's a tactic from Brisbane when tackled to jump forward. The umpires have generally been getting better with those calls but we're sucked in last night.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Geelong ran over the ground, way too quick and slick. They stretch the ground so well and know where eachother are.

They make the MCG seem bigger than what it actually is. They are extremely well drilled.

Will be very hard to stop for whoever faces them.

The good news is that the two teams who might be best placed to counteract that are in the other PF so might still be a competitive GF.

But that was pretty impressive.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Because they outplayed 14 other sides at bare minimum
The performance that they put up last night wasn't the only time they've been insipid. My own team smashed them by 60 points twice this year. They got to a prelim by scraping contentiously over the line against Richmond and relying on poor shot goal kicking to beat the dees. This prelim was always going to be a fizzer.

hutchy31

Norm Smith Medallist
May 25, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's just classic BigFooty (Even just media in general to be honest)

The winner gets swept aside because it's easier/more fun to poke at the loser, especially in a blowout. Would have been torture on this website for Cats fans after the Prelim last year, people on here just love kicking others while they're down. Weak.

Was at the game tonight and the Cats were just so much better it wasn't funny. Demons/Dockers/Tigers etc. None of them would have stood a chance and that should give full credit to the preperation & desire the Cats brought into the match.

Everyone keeps writing Geelong off every year. They're delivering and honestly I don't see who stops them. All I will say is good luck to either Sydney or Collingwood, it won't be easy but may the best team win.

Enjoy the build up during the week and best of luck in the Granny.

Agree, was very impressive and they’ve been clearly the best team once they got motoring a few months back.

I think the disappointment comes from being beaten by what you know. Letting the cats have the loose in defence, using boundary rather than corridor and generally playing into their hands went on for a while. Maybe the coaching staff did try something but it wasn’t obvious and didn’t work.

Now the cats may have been too good anyway. Maybe they win the one on ones, create turnover in the corridor and coast to a 10 goal win anyway. But from an outsider’s perspective it looked like changing it up was worth a shot.

Monco Matt

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, 49ers
Was last night a reflection of Geelong too good or Brisbane simply cooked?

I think the Lions went into that game not really believing they could win. Their mental state was already fragile. So, when a few decisions went against them in the early part of the game costing them goals this took away whatever fight they had. From then on it was how far Cats. If anything, Geelong are the one team that will crush you if you show weakness, like no other.

Bunnings

All Australian
Mar 19, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
I think the Lions went into that game not really believing they could win. Their mental state was already fragile. So, when a few decisions went against them in the early part of the game costing them goals this took away whatever fight they had. From then on it was how far Cats. If anything, Geelong are the one team that will crush you if you show weakness, like no other.
Decisions? What umpiring?

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL

Spot on.

May 5, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
The performance that they put up last night wasn't the only time they've been insipid. My own team smashed them by 60 points twice this year. They got to a prelim by scraping contentiously over the line against Richmond and relying on poor shot goal kicking to beat the dees. This prelim was always going to be a fizzer.

So. We lost to Hawthorn and St Kilda.
If we lose next week it doesn’t somehow instantly make the rest of the season an anomaly and worthy of scorn.

Monco Matt

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, 49ers
Decisions? What umpiring?

Just a few holding the ball decisions that I felt were a bit hot that cost them goals. Like I said, their fragile mental state wasn't going to hold up after that. They needed a few "scoring opportunity" calls to go their way early which didn't happen.

As a Cats fan you probably had the blinkers on, I'm sure. Nothing wrong with that.

Bunnings

All Australian
Mar 19, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Just a few holding the ball decisions that I felt were a bit hot that cost them goals. Like I said, their fragile mental state wasn't going to hold up after that. They needed a few "scoring opportunity" calls to go their way early which didn't happen.

As a Cats fan you probably had the blinkers on, I'm sure. Nothing wrong with that.
Hillarious

Back