Autopsy AFL 2022 First Preliminary Final - Cats v Lions Fri Sept 16th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 12 6.1%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 45 22.7%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 62 31.3%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 10 5.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
The performance that they put up last night wasn't the only time they've been insipid. My own team smashed them by 60 points twice this year. They got to a prelim by scraping contentiously over the line against Richmond and relying on poor shot goal kicking to beat the dees. This prelim was always going to be a fizzer.
Yeah Brisbane are s**t. Just imagine how much of a useless minnow club you'd be to actually lose to those hacks in a clutch final.

I'd be jumping in circles in frustration if that happened to me.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Erm, Melbourne were playing a side coming off an equally soft prelim final win, so that argument holds precisely zero weight.

Geelong’s soft prelim win in 2020 might be a better one to look at given their opponent in the grand final had done it considerably tougher in their prelim. How did that turn out? :think:
How’d we go in the 2011 GF? You know, where the Pies just got over the Hawks in their prelim but we thrashed the eagles? What happens if the Pies or Swans win easily today? We could do what ifs all day? If my Aunty had wheels, she’d be a trolley.

How’d we go in the 2011 GF? You know, where the Pies just got over the Hawks in their prelim but we thrashed the eagles? What happens if the Pies or Swans win easily today? We could do what ifs all day? If my Aunty had wheels, she’d be a trolley.
It was you who started things by cherry picking a one-off example in Melbourne, not me 🤦🏻‍♂️ I merely speculated that a soft prelim might not necessarily be the best preparation for a grand final. Not sure why that’s been such an issue for you to be honest

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah Brisbane are s**t. Just imagine how much of a useless minnow club you'd be to actually lose to those hacks in a clutch final.

I'd be jumping in circles in frustration if that happened to me.
Yeah, losing to Brisbane was one of our worst losses for the year simply because it was Brisbane. But we lost it with poor goal kicking.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
It was you who started things by cherry picking a one-off example in Melbourne, not me 🤦🏻‍♂️ I merely speculated that a soft prelim might not necessarily be the best preparation for a grand final. Not sure why that’s been such an issue for you to be honest
I ‘merely’ replied that it didn’t seem to effect Melbourne last year. It was a recent example in my mind. Not sure why that was such an ‘issue’ for you? Good luck this afternoon. Enjoy the day.

May 3, 2007
Parts Unknown
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man City, Valencia, Lazio, Panthers
We’ve had our fair share of embarrassments as Melbourne fans, but going out in straight sets to this mob ranks pretty highly.
Yeah I got bagged out by my own fellow mates on the Freo board for saying it's better for Freo to finish 5th than get 4th with that young dockers squad in 2022.

I had those Brisbane 2021 vibes. Brisbane should not of got 4th last season. They went out in straight sets. Had they got 5th, they would of beaten a limping and wounded Essendon in a home Elim final and lost the semi final next week.

And if you look back at freos finals campaign, it was a great outcome. So glad getting that home Elim final win vs the dogs.

Had Freo got 4th, dockers would of got out in straight sets. Cats would of beaten Freo in the qualifying final. Magpies or swans would of beaten Freo in WA in the semis.

And looking at freos home state record over the season. Freo lost 4 games in Perth stadium: saints, magpies, demons and Swans.

Saints didn't make the 8. The other 3 got top 4.

My, the crap that Cats haters post is unbelievable. Do they honestly believe the ONLY reason Cats won was because Brisbane was cooked; poor umpiring; luck; cheating etc? And then to read Cats won’t have any chance against either Pies or Swans because Cats are mentally fragile; Swans have already beaten Cats once this year; and Cats only fell across the line against the Pies in the QF....

My, the crap that Cats haters post is unbelievable. Do they honestly believe the ONLY reason Cats won was because Brisbane was cooked; poor umpiring; luck; cheating etc? And then to read Cats won’t have any chance against either Pies or Swans because Cats are mentally fragile; Swans have already beaten Cats once this year; and Cats only fell across the line against the Pies in the QF....
yes and also Geelong had an easy draw, Stengle can't kick goals vs top 4 teams, Danger never plays well in finals, Collingwood should have won the QF, Brisbane beat the last couple of premiers and shook off the MCG hoodoo, Geelong can't win after the bye, Geelong has a poor PF/finals record, they're old and slow etc. It was the most undeserved PF victory ever

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney

Take it easy mate. Everyone here has opinions.

You need to be a good bloody team to make a GF. But on the day, it is all about THAT day!

Geelong had their chances in 2008 but got the yips as a hot favourite. Sydney weren't a 10 goal worse team than Hawthorn in 2014, but were blown away in that GF.

The_Todd07

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 8, 2008
Geelong
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Red Sox 76ers
Is it normal to let players run around and snap like that after the siren has gone?
They changed it a few seasons ago where you can start at a tighter angle so when you take the kick you are kicking over the mark.
Still play on if you start on the mark and open up the angle

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Massive congrats to the Cats. Extraordinary achievement the way they’ve sustained their position as legit flag contenders for a decade. If they win the flag it will be a just dessert, but even if they don’t, their sustained run of excellence should be acknowledged.

Also: Danger has to have had the most underrated careers (on Bigfooty) of just about any player. He has been (and still is) an absolute champion - one of the best contested bulls you’ll ever see, who also hits the scoreboard regularly and is great overhead. If you don’t think he’s been one of the best players of the AFL era you’re kidding yourself .
As much as I'm sick of them being good, this is all true.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
Take it easy mate. Everyone here has opinions.

You need to be a good bloody team to make a GF. But on the day, it is all about THAT day!

Geelong had their chances in 2008 but got the yips as a hot favourite. Sydney weren't a 10 goal worse team than Hawthorn in 2014, but were blown away in that GF.
I wasn’t going hard. I find this all very amusing. Some times tonality gets missed in posts. Maybe I need to add emojis like the young kids do.
Agree. Anything can happen on the day!

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Worked last night.
But it didnt work for Adelaide, or Geelong in 2020

But sometimes you can tell whos on and whos not on

Geelong's rolled like that for the anthem since the days Harley was captain (possibly longer).

Go with what works or what your captain says, it doesn't really mean anything.

PCORF

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 3, 2007
AFL Club
Adelaide
Play like that next Saturday Paddy and that Norm Smith and flag are yours, that was hard desperate footy.

Paddy is probably the favourite win the Norm Smith medal, that's if his team wins it of course. But Geelong is not just about #35. You need to look at the other players and how much effort they bring. Cam Guthrie is just so underrated, he does a lot of great things out there. The forwards Cameron, Hawkins and Stengle are super important too. After the prelim they did not celebrate too hard, they know they have unfinished business ahead of them and they know that Sydney or Collingwood are going to be 10 times harder than what Brisbane served up last night.

Aug 17, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Of course umpiring. It’s Big Footy, where the umpires are biased in every game yet all the sad sacks who whine that each game is apparently rigged still waste their time watching and discussing a rigged game. Hilarious.

If we didn't have the umpires to blame, we'd have to look at where our team wasn't/isn't good enough when we lose or (more common around here) we'd have to give credit to teams we don't like when they comprehensively win.

I'm just loving that the Melbourne and Richmond supporters - not all of them, but the ones who've gone out of their way to give us absolutely ZERO credit for our performance so far in 2022 - had a nice seat on the couch to take in what we just did to the team they weren't good enough to beat.

Paddy is probably the favourite win the Norm Smith medal, that's if his team wins it of course. But Geelong is not just about #35. You need to look at the other players and how much effort they bring. Cam Guthrie is just so underrated, he does a lot of great things out there. The forwards Cameron, Hawkins and Stengle are super important too. After the prelim they did not celebrate too hard, they know they have unfinished business ahead of them and they know that Sydney or Collingwood are going to be 10 times harder than what Brisbane served up last night.
I reckon that was probably only the second BOG he's had this year, we've had some of the other mids and even our younger guys really step up this season and obviously it's gone a long way to seeing us winning with a more sustainable gameplan than 'just let paddy do it'

But jeez it's nice when he puts in a vintage performance like he did last night.

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Bad night for Lions, worse night for Richmond fans judging by this website. :grinv1:
Richmond fans strongly believe they will always beat Geelong in finals. And based on what Melbourne served up, Richmond would believe they probably would have accounted for them last week.

So in their minds, they choked away a 'guaranteed' GF appearance in Week 1. No wonder they are pissy.

azyboy

Club Legend
Aug 31, 2006
Sydney
AFL Club
Geelong
I was just checking the stats and was surprised to learn that Selwood had only 12 disposals. Felt like he was influential.
Yeah, thought the same. He was clean when he did get the footy. Didn’t fumble. Important knock ons etc. That sort of stuff does stand out a little more when the contest is hot.

Dec 2, 2003
AFL Club
Sydney
Richmond fans strongly believe they will always beat Geelong in finals. And based on what Melbourne served up, Richmond would believe they probably would have accounted for them last week.

So in their minds, they choked away a 'guaranteed' GF appearance in Week 1. No wonder they are pissy.

Every club has regret or the ones that got away.

Geelong probably has more than any other in the last 10 years.

Back