Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 89 36.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
Never had so many neutrals and non-pie mates message me after the game saying the umps won the game for Geelong, and that’s saying something. Good on the cats though for getting lucky, level with 90 seconds to go it basically could have gone either way. I do enjoy the continuous touting and chest pumping of Geelong fans claiming to be the best there is, I for one ain’t buying it. We all know Geelongs home ground advantage and easier H&A draw artificially bumps them 3-4 rungs up the ladder every year. And all you cat boys, throw your best shot at me, zero *s given. You didn’t get found out this game, so get those hopes sky high, get ya little cat flags out, get pumped - so the Dees can knock you back to reality in 2 weeks where you belong.

Geelong had to play an home final away at the oppositions home ground. And still won despite the position on the ladder being inflated meaning the Cats should be lower than Collingwood.
* me!

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
I'm a neutral, and the game in all was good, but the umpiring?? Those frees that WEREN'T called was a killer , and only one of them benefitted,
that's the one that won.
It doesn't have to be much to change or pull up a momentum but out on the full deliberate is a killer free for an umpire,and Geelong got three of them, when the kicker was always under serious pressure, gets a kick away and the umpire decides he can read some ones mind as to his intention.
Its one of those little advantages that can cruel a game for a side, just change one minuscule instance and gives an advantage
Mate, straight up arguing that out on the full shouldn't result in a free kick to the opposition is an interesting position to take. I was filthy that Jordan De'Goey's 2 last quarter goals were given 6 points. I thought they both should have been worth 2 points at most, and the fact they weren't HEAVILY advantaged Collingwood.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hammer Ban GIF
Is there a thread where people post a picture of themselves? I’ve always wondered what you and others looked like in real life.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
If anyone read all this can you summarise it for me.
Another supporter of an opposition club claiming Geelong had an armchair ride from the umpires by swinging the momentum in their favour.

Geelong supporters will mock the poster, but if he was bagging out Ginnivan and pumping up the Cats, those very same posters would be throwing likes the poster’s way.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm a neutral, and the game in all was good, but the umpiring?? Those frees that WEREN'T called was a killer , and only one of them benefitted,
that's the one that won.
It doesn't have to be much to change or pull up a momentum but out on the full deliberate is a killer free for an umpire,and Geelong got three of them, when the kicker was always under serious pressure, gets a kick away and the umpire decides he can read some ones mind as to his intention.
Its one of those little advantages that can cruel a game for a side, just change one minuscule instance and gives an advantage

That is why the free kick argument and the rules changed over years, is such a bewildering thing to make a pointon, I saw several free kicks that were uncalled,maybe a final,butwhy not both ways. The count of frees sometimes becomes irrelevant, because the frees that are missed/left alone/ ignored are where unfairness begins to guide the sport in a direction it was never meant to go, and that is umpire decided outcomes.
One major point I'll make after my post game rave earlier this weekend, that is the Ginnivan incident which saw a turn around in a good play from Geelong BUT it put the ball where it should not have been, with a Geelong player having a shot at goal and he scored the goal.

My beef and fury is because, seconds before I watched as a Geelong defender blatantly and clearly visible, in wide open space of the forward fifty for Collingwood, pushed Ginnivan as cleanly in the back as I have ever seen, he went flying forward after his feet were OFF the ground. No free kick for in the back, even if the umpire may not like the player or even have an inkling its fake, this one WASN'T! But that should not come into it.
He is cheeky and gets knocked around for it, but he SHOULD HAVE BEEN THE ONE KICKING FOR GOAL! Not Geelong.

The momentum changed and I think for a few seconds the Pies dropped their guard and Geelong in fact may have been heading to take the lead?
That is a missed free kick, giving Geelong a score advantage because of a missed but blatant push in the back. Happened at the other end of the ground , there are 3 field umpires for heavens sake.

Remember who ever wants to respond to me feel free. It only takes 2 or 3 more missed incidents that go only one way, to kill off a confidence or create a momentum drop off, and change the score, not from merit, but from an umpire, there was merit in the play down the ground to Geelong the kick on goal was true!
Me I saw it as a giveaway, when the goal should have been the chance to score for Collingwood, anyone who disagrees with what happened who says they watched the match DIDN'T watch it.
I said in my last long comment that I had several people watching the game, and we're all Hawthorn people, the yelling and high pitched bitching od people in the room calling out frees uncalled, well that is the truth, and it seems to me that for some strange reason Geelong and the WCE get the rub.

I saw the Prelim Nth v WCE several years back where North jumped the Eagles early and were on the way to a crushing first quarter, all of a sudden no less but maybe more , three free kicks to the Eagles turned the game on its head, all of them debatable and some crowd induced I am sure. But that maybe my bias.
The WCE did it again in 2018 when an umpire could not decide whether he was calling ablock or a shepherd or what ever, that was commented on the air waves TV,it was a wrong call, got the winner , where I believe it should have been going in the other direction. Umpire judgement or mistake, it pinched the game , if anything it should have been a ball up. Inever forget these things, and I watch for it closely because since Hocking and rules and other committee members started mangling and yearly changing rules, the game has become amess of free kick arguments and unfairness.

I also go to things like deliberate out of bounds, scrap that rule, out on the full is enough ,cameras for goals should be scrapped, if anyone read what I said about the ball from Lynch when filmed was over the post, there is no way in hell that that stop start film could prove either way, because the ball was way way past the vertical over the top of the goal post, yet it was called as over the direct top when it was impossible with cameras working on light reflection and with the goal umpire calling it a goal. That camera crew could not have been absolutely correct, so benefit of the doubt equals umpires call.
Which it should have been that was not a human eye on a film call it was not clear, and it lost the game for Richmond!

Those who bother to read my stuff may have an idea why I am so damned disappointed with how the game is umpired and ruled, and the umpires are not to blame.
It is the AFL administration and it greying of the rules over years, to a point where adjudication takes over where over complicated rules ruin plays, at least the Selwood duck and arm lift have been left alone, mostly.
So this is what I see, and it is the changes , some good, most changes making the game what it is not supposed to be, and right now it is at a point where we have to leave it alone and perhaps remove some of the more ridiculous Basketball typed foul frees, also black and white so as Umpires do not miss out on paying for frees that stare them in the face.
I'll call it Ginnivan/Hawkins Syndrome. Number one is Ginnivan a victim, last weekend, the other, Tom Hawkins champion I know that, but he is so guilty of push in the back for shots on goal, he has to be an example.
So is there NO PUSH IN THE BACK RULE NOW??

That's it, it is not an overblown whinge, it happens in football matches on TV every damned week, its mostly fine but as Isaid one or two or three missed calls or stupid rule inflicted free kicks run the sport, they shouldn't. 3 Umpires, what is this two finals last weekend dodgy calls and cameras , we all know about the camera bulldust!
For me the four ones I can still remember that had me scratching my head were -

1, Ginnivan’s push in the back not being paid. Cats go down the other end and kick a goal. Ginnivan goals, and Pies go up by 25 points at QT. (4.4 to 0.3 is a lot different to 3.5 to 1.3) a bigger hill for Geelong to climb.

2, I think it might’ve been Geelong’s very next goal too, where Howe is being tackled as he kicks, ball skews off the side of his boot, and goes OOB, then umpire calls it insufficient intent, and Cats bring the footy back i50 to goal. 6 min mark of the second, and they’ve now got the momentum and the last 2 goals, and go on to kick the next 2. As you said, momentum shifters.

3, Scott Pendlebury gets a free kick about 50 out, Pies continue playing, kick it to the top of the goal square and Ash Johnson takes a mark. Umpire calls it back despite Pies taking advantage. Apparently if it’s an actual advantage, the umps don’t like that. Very odd decision there.

4, Ash Johnson takes a mark on the goal line. We watch the footage, and you’d think if footy had crossed the line fully, it would be conclusive and evident. But no, inconclusive based on the footage, which means he must’ve marked it when it hadn’t fully crossed the line (otherwise we’d have seen the footy itself fully across the line) but they deem it ‘inconclusive’.

4 difference instances, 1 being a 12 point play, 1 resulting in a Geelong goal, and 2 others in potential Collingwood goals.

Nothing said will change the result, but it’s the truth.

Now watch the onslaught from the Geelong supporters in 3, 2, 1…

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
For me the four ones I can still remember that had me scratching my head were -

1, Ginnivan’s push in the back not being paid. Cats go down the other end and kick a goal. Ginnivan goals, and Pies go up by 25 points at QT. (4.4 to 0.3 is a lot different to 3.5 to 1.3) a bigger hill for Geelong to climb.

2, I think it might’ve been Geelong’s very next goal too, where Howe is being tackled as he kicks, ball skews off the side of his boot, and goes OOB, then umpire calls it insufficient intent, and Cats bring the footy back i50 to goal. 6 min mark of the second, and they’ve now got the momentum and the last 2 goals, and go on to kick the next 2. As you said, momentum shifters.

3, Scott Pendlebury gets a free kick about 50 out, Pies continue playing, kick it to the top of the goal square and Ash Johnson takes a mark. Umpire calls it back despite Pies taking advantage. Apparently if it’s an actual advantage, the umps don’t like that. Very odd decision there.

4, Ash Johnson takes a mark on the goal line. We watch the footage, and you’d think if footy had crossed the line fully, it would be conclusive and evident. But no, inconclusive based on the footage, which means he must’ve marked it when it hadn’t fully crossed the line (otherwise we’d have seen the footy itself fully across the line) but they deem it ‘inconclusive’.

4 difference instances, 1 being a 12 point play, 1 resulting in a Geelong goal, and 2 others in potential Collingwood goals.

Nothing said will change the result, but it’s the truth.

Now watch the onslaught from the Geelong supporters in 3, 2, 1…

Funny that Collingwood has won a number of games on the back of blatant umpire errors.

Carlton and Essendon in the last three games alone.

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne
So you’re not actually disagreeing with my post? That’s good.

To be honest the two howlers for the game you missed.

Daicos run down called play on

The ruck dual where Stanley got taken out and Collingwood goaled.

First goal of the game came from a dubious free.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
To be honest the two howlers for the game you missed.
You haven’t exactly discredited the ones I mentioned.
Daicos run down called play on
Yeah fair.
The ruck dual where Stanley got taken out and Collingwood goaled.
Can’t remember that one. When did it happen?
First goal of the game came from a dubious free.
How was it dubious? This looks like Adkins well and truly had prior before Lipinski caught him.
9C31A89D-8A02-4848-8324-92A6859C8233.jpeg

ChristianBoy

Club Legend
Suspended
Jul 15, 2022
AFL Club
Melbourne

Yeah fair.

How was it dubious? This looks like Adkins well and truly had prior before Lipinski caught him.
View attachment 1501190

Go back a minute watch the Collingwood player get tackled and the umpire didn’t pay a free. Then pays that.

Yeah fair.

View attachment 1501190
why do you insist on posting stills when trying to prove your point about an action happening? It blows my ******* mind how non-productive a video still is in this situation and yet you keep doing it!

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
why do you insist on posting stills when trying to prove your point about an action happening? It blows my ******* mind how non-productive a video still is in this situation and yet you keep doing it!
Legit, if you taught me how to, I would. Whenever I try uploading vids, I get told the file is too large.

As per below:
F4DF8F8C-50A1-424A-8BEF-FEB6CC330953.jpeg

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Go back a minute watch the Collingwood player get tackled and the umpire didn’t pay a free. Then pays that.
So that particular one wasn’t dubious then?

Again, you’ll have to be specific. Crisp was tackled, fend off then handballed to Elliott. Elliott got tackled straight away, and had no prior.

Adkins actually had prior opportunity and wanted to try get a kick away but didn’t manage to.

Haven’t even had Geelong supporters complain about this particular passage of play before TBH.

Feb 9, 2015
AFL Club
Geelong
Another supporter of an opposition club claiming Geelong had an armchair ride from the umpires by swinging the momentum in their favour.

Geelong supporters will mock the poster, but if he was bagging out Ginnivan and pumping up the Cats, those very same posters would be throwing likes the poster’s way.
*, another one!

Should we mention this to the AFL? I reckon we’re a good shot to get the result overturned.

Back