Autopsy AFL 2022 First Qualifying Final - Cats v Pies Sat Sept 3rd 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 48 19.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 52 21.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 32 13.2%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 89 36.8%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 11 4.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 2.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

So that particular one wasn’t dubious then?

Again, you’ll have to be specific. Crisp was tackled, fend off then handballed to Elliott. Elliott got tackled straight away, and had no prior.

Adkins actually had prior opportunity and wanted to try get a kick away but didn’t manage to.

Haven’t even had Geelong supporters complain about this particular passage of play before TBH.

Dubious as the umpire set the standard then awards that.

End of the Collingwood weren’t disadvantaged by umpiring any more than Geelong.

Dubious as the umpire set the standard then awards that.

End of the Collingwood weren’t disadvantaged by umpiring any more than Geelong.
Fair enough.

So not disputing any of my examples. Not actually giving any examples of your own, but you’ve got that last comment.

Cool.

Just on all this talk of umpires, how many times did the Pies' ruckman fall over in a ballup and just cling onto Stanley? One led directly to a goal at half-time, but there was another occasion where the ump just yelled out "both holding". One dinosaur falling over and bringing the other down with him isn't 'both holding', but s**t happens. If you go over the entire match with a fine-tooth comb there's frees everywhere for both teams not paid, and no, your Hawthorn and Richmond supporters of the world aren't 'neutral', they're mentally deranged when it comes to anything Geelong.

Fair enough.

So not disputing any of my examples. Not actually giving any examples of your own, but you’ve got that last comment.

Cool.

Ginnivan no free

Howes deliberate garbage rule gets paid all the time

Advantage wasn’t called as it wasn’t continuous

Ginnivan no free

Howes deliberate garbage rule gets paid all the time

Advantage wasn’t called as it wasn’t continuous
Great insights - love it.

I just checked your posting history 😂 you love the Collingwood threads. Common theme with your posts in all of them too.

Wojcinski i just recorded that passage and condensed it to 18 seconds to keep it as short as possible and still bloody got this message. No idea WTF I’m doing lol
View attachment 1501222

Not that you wanna be getting PMs from me but I even tried sending it via PM and got the same message.
I usually use giphy to turn short videos into gifs for posting on forums or whatever

I usually use giphy to turn short videos into gifs for posting on forums or whatever

Sir, you’re a genius. Thank you.

Ps: this is the passage of play before Adkins got pinged HTB. Not sure I’m seeing a missed HTB prior that old mate was claiming above.
ACB18CFF-EEB0-408D-819C-56B4D2863BA9.gif

why do you insist on posting stills when trying to prove your point about an action happening? It blows my ******* mind how non-productive a video still is in this situation and yet you keep doing it!
This is the Adkins HTB. Had prior with SDK, and was trying to handball over the top but got caught.
8C780D12-AFA2-4CAE-88ED-369320F16717.gif

For me the four ones I can still remember that had me scratching my head were -

1, Ginnivan’s push in the back not being paid. Cats go down the other end and kick a goal. Ginnivan goals, and Pies go up by 25 points at QT. (4.4 to 0.3 is a lot different to 3.5 to 1.3) a bigger hill for Geelong to climb.

2, I think it might’ve been Geelong’s very next goal too, where Howe is being tackled as he kicks, ball skews off the side of his boot, and goes OOB, then umpire calls it insufficient intent, and Cats bring the footy back i50 to goal. 6 min mark of the second, and they’ve now got the momentum and the last 2 goals, and go on to kick the next 2. As you said, momentum shifters.

3, Scott Pendlebury gets a free kick about 50 out, Pies continue playing, kick it to the top of the goal square and Ash Johnson takes a mark. Umpire calls it back despite Pies taking advantage. Apparently if it’s an actual advantage, the umps don’t like that. Very odd decision there.

4, Ash Johnson takes a mark on the goal line. We watch the footage, and you’d think if footy had crossed the line fully, it would be conclusive and evident. But no, inconclusive based on the footage, which means he must’ve marked it when it hadn’t fully crossed the line (otherwise we’d have seen the footy itself fully across the line) but they deem it ‘inconclusive’.

4 difference instances, 1 being a 12 point play, 1 resulting in a Geelong goal, and 2 others in potential Collingwood goals.

Nothing said will change the result, but it’s the truth.

Now watch the onslaught from the Geelong supporters in 3, 2, 1…
As a few from Geelong’s side of things have already been raised. I’ll also add the apparent touched call on Stengle’s shot early in the 1st looked pretty dubious. The ARC confirming it as touched was even more eyebrow raising. I feel if it’s not called touch by the field umpire, it’s a goal and it must have been a hell of a touch to stop that ball flying 50m for a goal. But again I could be seeing it through Geelong glasses, but those frames are pretty blurry, Adams isn’t a tall guy and I see no deviation of the ball and it’s too hard to tell if his fingers are pushed back IMO.

The Daicos non HTB call in the 2nd quarter when run down by Close and then even missed his boot while on the ground and still being tackled probably summed up how HTB was adjudicated all game. Those non HTB calls went both ways consistently.

To your points specifically

1) That was a howler. I’m not going into they why it wasn’t paid, but it should have been. It definitely did alter the momentum of the contest at that stage, but there was over 3/4 after that for both sides to change the outcome of the game. Nevertheless it was fortuitous for the Cats and stiff for your mob.

2) I’m not with you on this one. Deliberate was about the only thing that umpires consistently enforced all game and for me this was pretty clear. Yes, Howe is under pressure, but I think the slewing/checking of the kick comes more when he looks up and realises Max Holmes is the only player within about 50m of the drop zone of his kick and he tries not to put it down his throat and pulls/checks his kick. I don’t think it was a direct or sole result of the pressure/attempted tackle that caused the ball to go out of bounds. He was happy to try and hit the line because he knew it was going to Holmes if he kept it in. And I think that’s how the umpire saw it, so we can agree to disagree on that one.

3) This was another bad decision you copped. While the umpire probably thought Ginnivan’s rushed blind snap to the top of the square was a low percentage play and he was helping Collingwood by bringing it back, he has in fact done the complete opposite. There was no manufactured advantage by the whistle, even De Koning continued to contest the marking contest. I think if he waits a fraction longer, Johnson would have been lining up directly in front. Stiff again.

4) Correct call for mine. The moment it touches his hands is probably in between frames. The only conclusive shots when you can say he definitely has hands on the ball, the footy is completely over the goal line. Based on the fact the umpire’s call was a behind, this was the correct decision. If the call had been a mark, it would have stood also, so probably a tad unlucky, but it would have been unlucky for Geelong if it was called a mark and stood.

Overall, that’s two instances in 120 minutes of footy. I won’t deny that there’s probably a stronger causation link between some of the decisions that went our way and the scoreboard or at least a clearer one, but it’s impossible to definitively predict the impact and outcome of a bad/missed decision.

Additionally, Pies 4th goal just before HT Stanley is dragged down by Cameron in the ruck and the ball bounces over the back to Quaynor who drills it inside 50 to WHE.
We could analyse it to death, but like you say nothing will change the result and I’m firmly of the opinion we were somewhat lucky to beat a quality opponent in a game that could have gone either way.

What I won’t accept is that Geelong were given a ride in this game. Collingwood fans should and could certainly feel aggrieved that a couple of those contentious ones didn’t go your way, but the Geelong haters trying to suggest we didn’t earn that win are either trolling or simply blinded by their desire to see us fail again in September. Regardless, it was a epic game to watch and I think both teams come out of with plenty of positives for the rest of their campaigns.

This is the Adkins HTB. Had prior with SDK, and was trying to handball over the top but got caught.
View attachment 1501270
Yeah, it’s probably HTB, but there were about 20 instances worse for the game that were called play on, so I guess from that perspective is that HTB incorrect or were the other 20 decisions? In isolation, it looks fine, in the context of the game it was out of character and led to a goal. But that’s modern footy and the ones you have to live with as a supporter or you’ll just tear your f&$@ing hair out or what’s left of it.

Sir, you’re a genius. Thank you.

Ps: this is the passage of play before Adkins got pinged HTB. Not sure I’m seeing a missed HTB prior that old mate was claiming above.
View attachment 1501268
Yeah Crisp’s handball looks a little suspect. I know that they get benefit of the doubt on most occasions, but it was a little dubious to my eyes, but not a great camera angle TBF.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You guys generally do well in week 2. Record of 5-1 in the SFs since that last flag. It’s the PF weekend that is a concern… 1-5 record there.

Still reckon you’ll get the job done though.
Only been PF favourite once in those...they lost it but it's hard to draw much from one game.

Did get into 1 out of 5 as the lesser backed PF team. Not a great record but making 1 GF out of 6 attempts if you're only favourite once is kind of playing to expectation.

If Melbourne thump Brisbane should be close to an even money game.

View attachment 1501270
Dude, frees not paid to either team would be on par for the match. End of the day, level with 90 secs on the clock the result could have gone either way and on this occasion it went Geelongs, let them have it. I’m a pie too and it sucks, but just move on.

Back