News AFL 2022 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t get why the AFL would put the GF replay on the Wednesday night instead of the Friday night? Yeah, Melbourne get the first game of the season, but so what? I would have thought Melbourne would be more interested in a timeslot that would maximise attendance of their fans?

It makes absolutely no sense to me …

… but as a Collingwood supporter I’ll happily take the Friday night slot.

To clarify what’s there not to get? The AFL’s position is that they want to reward Victorian supporters and the way they’ve chosen to do that is with 5 standalone matches on consecutive days amongst the 10 Victorian clubs.

The two alternatives were Wednesday through Sunday or Thursday through Monday. They’re rightfully loathe to touch a cash cow in Carlton v Richmond on the Thursday which bumps Collingwood v St Kilda into the traditionally soft Monday night time slot with the Marvel double whammy (that’s a locked and loaded 30k attendance). Bumping anyone to Monday night also then compromises their breaks between matches for instance if it’s Collingwood on the Monday night our lead into the Brisbane Easter Thursday is something like 4 consecutive 6 day breaks.

I get complaints toward a Wednesday night fixture from participating club supporters, but I’m not understanding the confusion from you and Gouki because the rationale is clear.

I don’t get why the AFL would put the GF replay on the Wednesday night instead of the Friday night? Yeah, Melbourne get the first game of the season, but so what? I would have thought Melbourne would be more interested in a timeslot that would maximise attendance of their fans?

It makes absolutely no sense to me …

… but as a Collingwood supporter I’ll happily take the Friday night slot.
The opening game of the season always gets maximum attendance regardless of what day it's on. This way the AFL gets big crowd numbers across the whole week.

Glad they've quickly given up on trying to make us play the Bulldogs round 1 each year. It was only ever going to benefit the Dogs, not us.

Also glad Richmond and Carlton have been shafted of the opening game, although it has been so unfair for so long that Richmond get to start the season with a win!

To be fair from 09-16 people were saying Carlton got to start the year with a guaranteed win. I seem to remember the Richmond journalists calling for Richmond to play Gold Coast in Round 1 so they could get an easy win.

I agree though, this game has had it's time. Time for a change.

To clarify what’s there not to get? The AFL’s position is that they want to reward Victorian supporters and the way they’ve chosen to do that is with 5 standalone matches on consecutive days amongst the 10 Victorian clubs.

The two alternatives were Wednesday through Sunday or Thursday through Monday. They’re rightfully loathe to touch a cash cow in Carlton v Richmond on the Thursday which bumps Collingwood v St Kilda into the traditionally soft Monday night time slot with the Marvel double whammy (that’s a locked and loaded 30k attendance). Bumping anyone to Monday night also then compromises their breaks between matches for instance if it’s Collingwood on the Monday night our lead into the Brisbane Easter Thursday is something like 4 consecutive 6 day breaks.

I get complaints toward a Wednesday night fixture from participating club supporters, but I’m not understanding the confusion from you and Gouki because the rationale is clear.

No complaints.

And I get the Wednesday night and the ‘festival of footy’.

Just would have thought Friday night would be more of a prized timeslot than the Wednesday night timeslot? (And Saturday would be even more prized) And that 1 v 2 at the MCG shoukd have the pick of the timeslots, that they would choose that prized Friday night timeslot, ahead of it being given to 10th v 17th at Marvel?

But as I said, as a CFC supporter I’ll happily take it.

With Geelong playing a home game at the MCG against Essendon that only leaves one more MCG home game for them. It's looking likely we'll be heading down to Geelong in 2022. Obviously we'll find out when the fixture is released though.

The opening game of the season always gets maximum attendance regardless of what day it's on. This way the AFL gets big crowd numbers across the whole week.

Sure, so from the AFL’s POV wouldn’t you give the opening game to 10th v 17th?

Why ’waste’ the opening game on the unfurling of the Premiership flag and the GF replay? If Melbourne want to give their fans a treat, why do it on a school night which would exclude many kids? Or on a night that would make it difficult for country Vic fans to get to the game?

With Geelong playing a home game at the MCG against Essendon that only leaves one more MCG home game for them. It's looking likely we'll be heading down to Geelong in 2022. Obviously we'll find out when the fixture is released though.
Surely not. Not with their contruction works going on. They have taken away a stand away.
" During 2022, the redevelopment will reduce the stadium's capacity to as low as 23,00 "

I don't see it happening. If we only play Geelong once next year I'd expect we'd be the home team

We will play

- Carlton x2
- Adelaide/North x2
- Richmond x2
- Essendon x2
- Brisbane x2

Along with cats down in Geelong
Swans away from home

It's looking likely we'll be heading down to Geelong in 2022.

We can chill about that. I don’t think we can play Geelong in Geelong, and in the unlikely event we do it will be for a good reason for us.

We need to play 14 at the G per our contract. The AFL force us to have 2 home games at Docklands, and we already know that we have 1 away game there as well. That only leaves 5 games, which basically have to be played interstate.

Therefore if we play in Geelong it will just have to be in place of an interstate game, or we will get at least 10 home games at the G. Either way is a good deal for us.

Have never really tried a Wednesday before, so will that still hold??

Often will get plenty of neutrals - AFL/MCC members rocking up to a Thursday game - will they do that for both the Wed and Thursday?

Nobody really has any issue with the "festival of footy", the question is why put the Dees flag unfurling at 7:10 on the Wednesday?

That will mean all the flag festivities are done even earlier...what kicking off closer to 6, that potentially means many Dees who missed out on the GF may also miss out on the flag unfurling and ceremony.

If having 5 stand alone days/nights in Melbourne, the Wednesday ain't the main slot...for mine a no-brainer to make the Dees game the Friday or Saturday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the AFL missed a trick here, scheduling us on Friday night at Marvel. They should of had us on Saturday afternoon at the G vs North. It could have been the debuts of the two draft guns in Daicos and Horne-Francis. Two clubs with exciting young lists, so definitely the Pies supporters would have turned out in droves, and so would have the North supporters, with some real optimism going into a new season.
Don't get playing us at that shed in the Docklands on a Friday night, when we could have rolled out at the G on a Saturday afternoon with a big crowd.....

Playing St Kilda at Docklands means we won’t be playing WB or North twice. We won’t have any other away games at Docklands.

With Nth out of the equation it means we have to play at least two of the other bottom 6 teams (Adelaide, Hawthorn, GC, and Carlton) twice. Carlton seems obvious and it’ll probably be out of Hawthorn or Adelaide for the other.

We’ll almost certainly play 2 v bottom 6, 2 v middle 6 and 1 v top.

My money’s on Carlton, Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne.

I don't see how Geelong should get ANY home games if the capacity is that low. Half their own members won't get in, let alone a single opposition one.

It makes sense for a few of reasons. As a stand-alone match to kick off the season, while still maintaining the Carlton v Richmond clash on the Thursday and to implement the 5 rivalries across 5 days in Vic. As far as clever fixturing goes it’s some of the better work by the AFL. Wednesday nights are sh*t for parents and country supporters, but Rd 1 is when it can work.

Us against St Kilda on the Friday night at Marvel was an error though. If they’d put St Kilda v North later in the round and us against Geelong at the G they could have kicked off the season with 3 70k plus crowds, IMO.

Excuse the intrusion, we're pretty chuffed for a Friday game, even more so it's against a decent drawing team
since 2013 we've played every other crap team round 1, North x2 Suns x2 GWS x2 Melb x2 lions Port, so it's about time we were due for something favorable.

thought it's an intriguing matchup tbh,
Pies with new Coach's, Daicos to debut, Lipinski.
Saints still have plenty to prove

I reckon the AFL missed a trick here, scheduling us on Friday night at Marvel. They should of had us on Saturday afternoon at the G vs North. It could have been the debuts of the two draft guns in Daicos and Horne-Francis. Two clubs with exciting young lists, so definitely the Pies supporters would have turned out in droves, and so would have the North supporters, with some real optimism going into a new season.
Don't get playing us at that shed in the Docklands on a Friday night, when we could have rolled out at the G on a Saturday afternoon with a big crowd.....

Daicos ain’t playing round 1 IMO. Missed too much footy this year, needs to build.

Daicos ain’t playing round 1 IMO. Missed too much footy this year, needs to build.
The pre-season and games will do that. Its not like he is playing midfield. He'll be fine down back. But if he isn't ready round 1, then he isn't ready. But we'll see how the summer goes. I just wouldn't rule it out.

Reduced capacity at GMHBA in 2022 due to redevelopment I think. Collingwood only play one of the top 6 from 2021 twice so I doubt Collingwood will play at GMHBA.

I get why they are doing a wed. To make it a big Victorian footy festival all weekend. It’ll likely only be the once.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

As Hoping to have Full Crowds/Capacity to all those Games 1st Time in 2 Years

Remove this Banner Ad

Back