News AFL 2022 fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

No complaints.

And I get the Wednesday night and the ‘festival of footy’.

Just would have thought Friday night would be more of a prized timeslot than the Wednesday night timeslot? (And Saturday would be even more prized) And that 1 v 2 at the MCG shoukd have the pick of the timeslots, that they would choose that prized Friday night timeslot, ahead of it being given to 10th v 17th at Marvel?

But as I said, as a CFC supporter I’ll happily take it.

It still is, but the catch is the nuance of 6 day breaks. In regards to that Friday night slot it’s Collingwood so it’ll draw in person and on TV regardless of 2021 ladder positions. The real question is what’s more likely to draw the crowd Wednesday night to kick off the season or Monday night to finish Rd 1?

We can chill about that. I don’t think we can play Geelong in Geelong, and in the unlikely event we do it will be for a good reason for us.

We need to play 14 at the G per our contract. The AFL force us to have 2 home games at Docklands, and we already know that we have 1 away game there as well. That only leaves 5 games, which basically have to be played interstate.

Therefore if we play in Geelong it will just have to be in place of an interstate game, or we will get at least 10 home games at the G. Either way is a good deal for us.

As long as it’s the Cats home game it doesn’t matter where it is.

Playing St Kilda at Docklands means we won’t be playing WB or North twice. We won’t have any other away games at Docklands.

With Nth out of the equation it means we have to play at least two of the other bottom 6 teams (Adelaide, Hawthorn, GC, and Carlton) twice. Carlton seems obvious and it’ll probably be out of Hawthorn or Adelaide for the other.

We’ll almost certainly play 2 v bottom 6, 2 v middle 6 and 1 v top.

My money’s on Carlton, Adelaide, Richmond, St Kilda, Melbourne.
Not sure about the WB/North call.
Don’t we normally play, 14 @ G, 5 x Interstate, 3 @ Marvel with one a home game. I thought our Contract to play 2 home games at Marvel, expired.

I expect STK, carlton, Richmond & Ess for double ups plus one other.

If the league was serious about an even competition, our double ups should be:
North
Gold coast
Adelaide
Hawthorn
Carlton

Don’t we normally play, 14 @ G, 5 x Interstate, 3 @ Marvel with one a home game.

We‘ve played 2 home / 1 away in every normal fixture from 2012 onwards.

We were still fixtured for 2 home / 1 away there last year plus we had another away game that Port had to shift from Adelaide Oval.

I’ve never been clear about our ‘contract’ situation with Docklands. I know we have some agreement with the stadium, but does it mandate 2 home games or is it simply a financial arrangement for any home games we play there?

Moving us to play all our home games at the G would fix multiple problems with the fixture.

As it stands, we have to play 5 away games at the G every year, which means that Melbourne, Carlton, Essendon, Richmond & Hawthorn are virtually guaranteed home games against us every year.

It also means that there is room for only 1 away game in Vic not at the MCG. This means WB, StK and North can only have a home game against us once every three years. Geelong’s stance against playing home games in Melbourne means they will almost never have a home game against us either.

Shifting all 11 home games to the G fixes this by opening up 2 extra games to be shared by these teams if necessary. Not to mention that we should be able to play our home games at our home ground.

Wasn’t the “contract” part of our new deal at the G rather than anything specific with Marvel? AFL which now owns Marvel needs to ensure its financial viability by scheduling games that will attract larger crowds. The Pies will deliver on that more often than not.

We don't play in Geelong. No reason to start now lol

That was the case prior to the cattery undergoing substantial redevelopment. As I understood it they requested we play at the G or Marvel because they were more profitable. The redevelopment changes that paradigm considerably and has tipped toward the cattery would be my guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not bad.

Dont fly til round 5, then not til round 10

Play eagles, GWS, port in melb. Plus one crows game and one suns game

Interstate trips: Gabba (Bris), Metricon (Suns), Optus (Freo) and SCG

Only top 4 double up is Dees, and essendon as the other top 8 side.

Carlton, Suns, Crows double ups

It’s about as cushy as we could expect.

The max number against the bottom 6, and only Essendon and Melbourne from the finals last year.

Home on QB, which should help financially.

Major gripes:

- no Syd in Melbourne yet again (it will now be just 4 times in the last 20 seasons).

- ‘home’ game v Dogs at Docklands.

- 5 day break into Easter Thursday then immediately an 11 day break to ANZAC Day.

Last edited:
Rated as the 12th hardest fixture despite finishing second last.

And play the premiership team twice lol

Here I was thinking the only advantages of finishing second last were: the second pick in the RD and the second easiest draw for the following year 🤦
Meanwhile Carlton get the easiest ....

It’s about as cushy as we could expect.

The max number against the bottom 6, and only Essendon and Melbourne from the finals last year.

Home on QB, which should help financially.

Major gripes:

- no Syd in Melbourne yet again (it will now be just 4 times in the last 20 seasons).

- ‘home’ game v Dogs at Docklands.

- 5 day break into Easter Thursday then immediately an 11 day break to ANZAC Day.
To be fair we did beat Melbourne with a crap side this year - so really means nothing on the day.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back