AFL Grand Final AFL 2022 Grand Final - Cats vs Swans Sat Sept 24th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Cats by 7-20

Votes: 75 27.4%
  • Swans by 7-20

Votes: 88 32.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

e43ef7c2-f18c-4db7-8eb4-5debdb41a995-png.1510772

AFL 2022 GRAND FINAL
GEELONG V SYDNEY
SATURDAY SEPTEMBER 24TH 2:30PM AEST (MCG)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE 2022 BIGFOOTY OFFICIAL TIPPING COMP!

C4C09479-AA41-4EFA-A0A9-D0A4F59D5D60.png
TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place
Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

TEAMS

CATS

B: J.Kolodjashnij, S.De Koning, J.Bews
HB: M.Duncan, T.Stewart, J.Henry
C: M.Blicavs, J.Selwood, Z.Tuohy
HF: B.Close, J.Cameron, I.Smith
F: T.Stengle, T.Hawkins, G.Rohan
FOL: R.Stanley, P.Dangerfield, C.Guthrie

I/C: Z.Guthrie, G.Miers, T.Atkins, M.Holmes
EMG: B.Parfitt, M.O’Connor, S.Menegola, J.Ceglar

IN: None
OUT: M.O’Connor (Medi-Sub)

SWANS
B: D.Rampe, T.McCartin, O.Florent
HB: J.Lloyd, P.McCartin, N.Blakey
C: J.McInerney, C.Warner, C.Mills
HF: W.Hayward, S.Reid, I.Heeney
F: E.Gulden, L.Franklin, T.Papley
FOL: T.Hickey, J.Rowbottom, L.Parker

I/C: R.Clarke, D.Stephens, H.McLean, R.Fox
EMG: L.McDonald, H.Cunningham, B.Campbell, W.Gould

IN: H.McLean
OUT: L.McDonald (omitted), B.Campbell (Medi-Sub)

Summary

The AFL Grand Final returns to Victoria for the first time since 2019 as the Cats prepare to meet the Swans in the big dance.

Recent Form

After a huge scare in week one against Collingwood, the Cats enjoyed a week off and then did things considerably easier as they blew away a disappointing Brisbane to canter into the grand final. Geelong couldn't have been more impressive after half time as they romped away to a 71 point win. A barnstorming performance from Patrick Dangerfield was the catalyst for Geelong, while Tom Hawkins and Tyson Stengle were important contributors with 7 goals between them.

Sydney dispatched with reigning premier Melbourne in week one to enjoy a week off themselves, then copped a Collingwood scare of their own when just barely holding on in the preliminary final to scrape through by a point. In a fairly even team performance, Callum Mills and young gun Errol Gulden were particularly good for the victors.

The Cats enter the grand final on the back of an outstanding streak of 15 straight wins, while the Swans have won 9 straight of their own.

Last time they met...

You'll need to go all the way back to round 2 to find the most recent game between these sides, so the form out of that game is probably of limited use. For the record, it was won comfortably by the Swans on a night that will be remembered more for Lance Franklin's 1,000th goal than anything else.

Grand Final History

Neither side has been a stranger to Grand Final day in recent years, with 5 appearances between them since 2011. Surprisingly though, they have never squared off in a VFL/AFL grand final together. That changes this week.

Geelong's last grand final appearance was only 2 years ago, a 31 point defeat at the hands of Richmond in the 2020 decider, the first ever held outside Victoria. It was a disappointing end to Gary Ablett Jnr's career as the Cats led by as much as 22 points in the second term but couldn't hold off a strong finishing Tigers.

Sydney's last grand final appearance came in 2016 when they couldn't overcome a Bulldogs side that was on its way to breaking a 62 year premiership drought. Franklin, Josh Kennedy and Dayne Rampe played fine games in a losing cause, but it's a loss that still cuts particularly deeply for most Swans fans for reasons that it's best not to go into here.

Key Matchups

Tom Hawkins vs Tom McCartin - The big fella Hawkins was as strong a presence as always in the preliminary final. He booted four goals and could have had a couple more after missing a few in the first half. McCartin will have his work cut out on the Geelong superstar, but if he can somehow manage to quell his influence and allow his brother Paddy some freedom to intercept then it would set the Swans up well.

Jeremy Cameron vs Dayne Rampe - The other member of perhaps the best key forward pairing in the competition, Jezza was solid in the preliminary final without really tearing the game apart. Rampe did a fine job when these two sides met back in round 2 - keeping the Geelong spearhead goalless - although Cameron did still have several shots and racked up 17 disposals. This one could go a long way to deciding the outcome.

Patrick Dangerfield vs Callum Mills - "Turning back the clock" is a tired old cliché at times, but that's exactly what Dangerfield did in his preliminary final performance. The old champ is oft-maligned in BigFooty circles, but he tore Brisbane to shreds as he chalked up 28 touches and drifted forward to kick a couple of goals. Mills won't have the speed to match him around the ground but you sense that their battle in close will be pivotal.

Lance Franklin vs Jack Henry - This was the matchup back in round 2 when Buddy kicked 4 goals to become the only 1,000 goal forward to still be playing. Henry has the height and athleticism to match up well on Lance despite conceding those 4 goals last time. This could very well be Franklin's last game, and while he's certainly not the force of old, this matchup should still be a beauty.

Tom Stewart vs.... anyone?? Just kidding, Ryan Clarke should get the job on the gun Geelong backman. Leaving Stewart free to rack up intercept marks for fun is a recipe for disaster, as many opposition teams have discovered this year. Surely John Longmire and the Sydney coaching staff will be too smart to let that happen... won't they?

Where it will be won

Well this isn't rocket science, but the midfield battle is going to be rather important. Both sides have big bodied midfielders that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty, so the battle of Dangerfield, Guthrie, Selwood, Blicavs and co vs Parker, Mills, Warner, Rowbottom etc will be significant.

Both sides (well probably any AFL side really) defend best when their midfield is denying the opposition quality entries. Particularly in the Swans case, you have to wonder if Rampe and the McCartins would be able to stop the likes of Cameron, Hawkins, Stengle, Close and Miers if their midfield is struggling to prevent the ball coming in cleanly.

The Swans might gain a slight advantage in the ruck with the journeyman Tom Hickey taking on Rhys Stanley... will this translate into midfield supremacy?

Prediction

In the interests of being impartial, I'll refrain from tipping an outcome here.

Ah screw it. Swans by 30 :$ Let me know how wrong I am below...

Let's go Sydney! We still owe this lot for giving us Paul Chambers.

Anyone know of a bar, pub or similar in Buenos Aires that might have the game on? A very long shot I know, but preferable to watching it on my phone.

I have two barcodes for PAFC platinum members... apparently selling tickets tomorrow 2pm to Gold members from other clubs... does anyone know if I can use platinum barcode for this? Cause it's better than Gold?

Anyone know of a bar, pub or similar in Buenos Aires that might have the game on? A very long shot I know, but preferable to watching it on my phone.

Contact these guys and ask them if they will be showing it.

They used to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd say Hickey vs Stanley is a critical matchup.

Stanley's had one of his better seasons, but remains a perennial whipping boy for Cats fans, and I think the ruck is the one area we'd be concerned about. If Stanley can at least hold even with Hickey then I think that will go a long way towards a Cats win, if Hickey starts dominating and Sydney's mids get on top, that pushes the needle much more towards the Swans.

Grand Final History

Neither side has been a stranger to Grand Final day in recent years, with 5 appearances between them since 2011. Surprisingly though, they have never squared off in a VFL/AFL grand final together. That changes this week.
While this is true - the swans and the cats are the most traditional of premiership combatants.

Pre-VFL it came down to swans v cats (or more accurately South v Geelong) in four years twice as much as any other pairing. With the highlight being the Match of the Century - the original blockbuster in 1886

While this is true - the swans and the cats are the most traditional of premiership combatants.

Pre-VFL it came down to swans v cats (or more accurately South v Geelong) in four years twice as much as any other pairing. With the highlight being the Match of the Century - the original blockbuster in 1886

Don't bring up the 1886 game with me. Still spewing as McShane was nothing but a cheat and the umpires let him get away with s**t no one else got away with.

I'd say Hickey vs Stanley is a critical matchup.

Stanley's had one of his better seasons, but remains a perennial whipping boy for Cats fans, and I think the ruck is the one area we'd be concerned about. If Stanley can at least hold even with Hickey then I think that will go a long way towards a Cats win, if Hickey starts dominating and Sydney's mids get on top, that pushes the needle much more towards the Swans.
Sam Reid if out, is massive loss for Swans. When he was off Swans had no one to ruck but midfielders. I saw number 21 ruck at one point, then Hayward and then Heeney all within a few minutes of each other.
Hickey will have to ruck by himself the whole match and do a stellar job if Swans are to win.
Hopefully Reid gets up. I doubt Swans would have won over Demons without him so most people would not realise how important he is to their structure.

Last edited:
Sam Reid if out, is massive loss for Swans. When he was off Swans had no one to ruck but midfielders. I saw number 21 ruck at one point, then Hayward and then Heeney all within a few minutes of each other.
Hickey will have to ruck by himself the whole match and do a stellar job if Swans are to win.
Hopefully Reid gets up. I doubt Swans would have won over Demons without him so most people would not realise how important he is too their structure.
Yep. Easily one of our most important players as we simply have no replacement for him. I hope he gets up

Don’t forget you HAVE to watch this on channel 7. So go buy an antenna and/or a tv from gumtree/aldi/wherever
Not so. I'm sure I could go if I wanted to get a ticket.
Problem is I am not really emotionally invested to see either win or lose. Cats broke their drought in 2007 and Swans before that and I also attended the 2012 grand final when Swans beat Hawks so the thrill to see a club that not won a flag in a long time is not there for me is this one.
I'm content to watch from home. I have Kayo or channel 7 so will be content watching at home or at a barbeque somewhere else.

Back