AFL Grand Final AFL 2022 Grand Final - Cats vs Swans Sat Sept 24th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Cats by 7-20

Votes: 75 27.4%
  • Swans by 7-20

Votes: 88 32.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Bunnings

All Australian
Mar 19, 2022
AFL Club
Geelong
Was a strangely quiet crowd all day. I’ve been to the last 12 or so GF’s never been to one with less atmosphere. Right before the first bounce. All this WFH bullshit has made everyone lose their mojo or something.
Cats aren’t a terribly loud supporter group I don’t reckon….
But I was more talking about the poor tv audience

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Will that tip the scales to a night grand final or do you think it was the teams playing or public perception of AFL this particular week?

The tv ratings probably dropped off after half time when the game was over as a contest, only Geelong supporters would have enjoyed watching that.

Sep 25, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
The tv ratings probably dropped off after half time when the game was over as a contest, only Geelong supporters would have enjoyed watching that.

Yup. I left the TV "on" but only really as a formality. I was sat at the PC here on BF nearly all of the 3rd quarter and only checked in with 15 min left in the last to view the celebrations. It was a disappointing neutral spectacle.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Every now and again you have games where you know it's over by half time and don't want to watch anymore and then take the dog for a walk. This was one of those games for Swans fans

That's right Tigers it was Brad all along
B50BF68B-4F28-4AB0-8EB7-9ECAB2B32FA4.jpeg

Do want to say all credit to Geelong and what a fantastic organisation /club they have been for so long, on and off the field and including their fans.

The hard work, class , play for one another , never say die, never let the defeats in other years crush them, it's all so impressive

they took a massive dump on us, we were absolutely pathetic , but were were that way because the opposition was also so exceptional too.

Even just bringing Abletts son out was a great touch

well done to their great club and hope their fans enjoy a fantastic triumph and season

Every now and again you have games where you know it's over by half time and don't want to watch anymore and then take the dog for a walk. This was one of those games for Swans fans

I now know what neutrals were saying when Hawthorn slaughtered Sydney back in 2014 :p

I was invested in the game up until half time, tuned back in (after the woeful halftime entertainment) saw the next few goals in the third quarter and pretty much zoned out until the closing moments of the final quarter.

Having re-watched the match, it really was a footy clinic from start to finish. Reading the media impressions, obviously Geelong were "on" and in form..... but IF Sydney actually turned up to play - would the end result have been as severe ? Geelong probably would have stopped them from executing their game plan regardless.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Do want to say all credit to Geelong and what a fantastic organisation /club they have been for so long, on and off the field and including their fans.

The hard work, class , play for one another , never say die, never let the defeats in other years crush them, it's all so impressive

they took a massive dump on us, we were absolutely pathetic , but were were that way because the opposition was also so exceptional too.

Even just bringing Abletts son out was a great touch

well done to their great club and hope their fans enjoy a fantastic triumph and season
I’m a Hawks fan and I admired them yesterday. They were epic, like us in 2014

i said to my wife 5 minutes in we were going to lose the game :(

didn't know it would be to that degree

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
Was a strangely quiet crowd all day. I’ve been to the last 12 or so GF’s never been to one with less atmosphere. Right before the first bounce. All this WFH bullshit has made everyone lose their mojo or something.
I question whether you were there. I was at the 2008 GF and yesterday was way louder. I actually thought it was unusual how vocal the Cats fans were.

Lots of Hawthorn posts trying to make out that it was a bad game, geelong was lucky etc etc... Australia's strategic salt stockpiles could be replenished from this thread. Must be hard seeing a guy your club moved on win the Norm Smith while your club is in tatters.

Oct 14, 2006
AFL Club
Hawthorn
thanks for reminding me of that too 😂
I question whether you were there. I was at the 2008 GF and yesterday was way louder. I actually thought it was unusual how vocal the Cats fans were.

Lots of Hawthorn posts trying to make out that it was a bad game, geelong was lucky etc etc... Australia's strategic salt stockpiles could be replenished from this thread. Must be hard seeing a guy your club moved on win the Norm Smith while your club is in tatters.
M28 haven’t missed a GF in 12 years.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
I will never ever look at centre clearances stats the same way. In what world did Sydney win the centre clearances stat? I was at the game and Geelong spanked Sydney out of the middle. I will forever question the centre clearance stat.
That is insane. Did Sydney win a clearance full stop after the 5 minute mark?

cactuscall

michaelangelo is a party dude
Jul 26, 2020
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Seen a few Geelong jumpers getting around this weekend. Just give them some food for thought and tell them "I don't blame you for choosing not to live there."

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Yup. I left the TV "on" but only really as a formality. I was sat at the PC here on BF nearly all of the 3rd quarter and only checked in with 15 min left in the last to view the celebrations. It was a disappointing neutral spectacle.
Basically the same. But that always going to happen from time to time in grand finals. Once one side gets on top there more last of blowout that a home and away match because once it over there not a lot to play for in losing team to keep motivation up to reduce margin and reset for next match with better form.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
Where was this ranked in terms of biggest losing margins in grand final history?
Is it in the top half dozen?

I do not remember all the margins but blow out ones seem to be 1980 first one I seen on tv as a kid but I think I only watched last quarter.
1983 Bombers smashed
1988 Demons smashed
1994 Cats smashed
2000 Demons smashed
2007 Port Power smashed
2019 Giants smashed
2022 Swans smashed

randyzany

Premiership Player
Sep 21, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
If the BF tipping comps were anything to go by, Sydney were by far the most picked winner by what seemed a factor of 10 to 1, the supposed 'neutral' audience would have switched off in droves early in the 3rd quarter.

Last edited:
Back