AFL Grand Final AFL 2022 Grand Final - Cats vs Swans Sat Sept 24th 2:30pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 26 9.5%
  • Cats by 7-20

Votes: 75 27.4%
  • Swans by 7-20

Votes: 88 32.1%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 60 21.9%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 1.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Nov 16, 2004
Location Location
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
Fun fact for those who made it this far: there's been only six guernsey numbers that have featured in each of Geelong's four premierships and four are #30 or higher (including #44 and #45)

3: Bartel, Bartel, Bartel, Parfitt
14: Selwood, Selwood, Selwood, Selwood
30: Scarlett, Scarlett, Scarlett, Atkins
35: Chapman, Chapman, Chapman, Dangerfield
44: Enright, Enright, Enright, Stewart
45: Ling, Ling, Ling, Close

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
Nah, go back and watch him in year one at Hawthorn, was never capable of taking a leaping mark above his head. Would have to have a 10 inch vertical leap which is probably now -1 at 35 years of age.

Better luck next year.
I agree, he was never a pack mark...he’s a leading fwd ....and I wonder if the 6x6x6 has dried those opportunities up.

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
Love how this thread isn’t about Melbourne but you’ve gone there anyway.

Absolute goose.
Says the clown act that reckons the Swans have a bad GF record.

Did you fall off your polo pony and bang your head?

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
Says the clown act that reckons the Swans have a bad GF record.

Did you fall off your polo pony and bang your head?
Melbourne 18 Grand Finals.
W:13 L:5 W%:72.
South Melbourne/Sydney.
19 Grand Finals
W:5 L:14.W%:26

Nov 24, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Well done Geelong, far too good for the last 3 months. No one would have beat them on the day, they were just in the zone.

I don't like them as a team but you have to have huge respect for them as a whole. Was painful at the end I actually found myself enjoying Joel Selwood and what he did on the day :sick:. Can't stand Dangerfield either but he deserved a flag after the individual career he's had.

Now * off and drop out of the 8 for once. SURELY they're too old too slow next season?! :$

Last edited:
Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Now * off and drop out of the 8 for once. SURELY they're too old too slow next season?! :$
Nah we're looking primed to go again.

Fdi18YwagAEUjaj

Rotayjay

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 28, 2014
Adelaide, South Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
The Cats just won a flag with the oldest-ever team to take the VFL/AFL field and 10 players over 30. Geelong's premiership goes to show that you can look forward to being in, and remaining in, contention with older players in your team. They just have to be good.

What I'm trying to get at is: if a lot of your best 22 is over 30, it doesn't necessarily mean your premiership window has passed. I think that's good news and gives hope to a lot of fans.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
What a clown take.

You beat Sydney by 81

And Collingwood by 1...just a few weeks ago.

I WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE EVEN WONDERING THIS.

I'm not saying Collingwood would have won...but they would have been 100% more competitive.

Now go away

Really? Collingwood had to play out of their skins in tough matches against Geelong and then Sydney and Sydney were clearly dominant in the first half against them and ultimately were stronger than them. Geelong beat Collingwood, had a rest, then cruised past Brisbane. Collingwood looked tired and out of legs at the end of the prelim, which also involved travel. There's every reason to think they would have got at least as bad a beating as Sydney in the GF had they fallen over the line.

And Sydney IMHO have a better record of being consistently competitive against Geelong than Collingwood in recent times.

I think you've spent too much time buying into the meme about Collingwood being consistently competitive... you could say the same about Sydney (including beating Geelong earlier in the year) and look how that worked out.

There were shades of 2007 for Geelong with a close win over the pies and then an obliteration of the opposition in the grand final. Speaking of 2007, Port narrowly beat Geelong in the second to final round that year, so by your logic should have been super competitive in the GF.

caitsith01

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2007
Earth
AFL Club
Geelong
The Cats just won a flag with the oldest-ever team to take the VFL/AFL field and 10 players over 30. Geelong's premiership goes to show that you can look forward to being in, and remaining in, contention with older players in your team. They just have to be good.

What I'm trying to get at is: if a lot of your best 22 is over 30, it doesn't necessarily mean your premiership window has passed. I think that's good news and gives hope to a lot of fans.
I'd love to think this means we don't have to hear about how 'old' Geelong is any more but I know better.

Feb 7, 2009
lost somewhere in time
AFL Club
Geelong
I just ******* spewed up.

Let me write that in a headline for you.

Patrick Dangerfield finally winning a (sole) Premiership to go with his Brownlow win, PLUS his 'decade of SUPERSTARDOM' (Your words, not mine) Now gives him the edge over triple, I repeat TRIPLE Premiership winning and (Wait for it) TRIPLE Norm Smith Medalist, Mr Dustin Martin?

Despite Dangerfield finally doing something with his career, compared to Martin, we are still here....

maxresdefault.jpg

Enjoy your win, but let's not get carried away.

Come on tell us how you really feel

Sep 20, 2009
Pascoe Vale
AFL Club
Geelong
Someone called up SEN and claimed Sydney had a massive virus run through them on Saturday.

I was waiting for a punchline like "Selwood-itis" or "Leather aversion" but none were forthcoming.

Not sure if he was just a pissy rival supporter trying to diminish Geelong or he genuinely had some inside mail. Any Swans supporters have any info about this?

Oct 9, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Perth Wildcats basketball
How on earth does Geelong (having such old players) have the strength to demolish two young and talented teams such as Brisbane and Sydney?
It seems that they are on some sort of performance enhancing supplements.
What do you guys think?
They are definitely on young pills for sure, because Tom looks at least 65, and Dangermouse is completely over the hill, a few brandys for him before the game, Isaac Smith has been down at Glenferrie and I am not sure what he's on but something Kevin Sheedy will be investigating? To clear his head!

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
What a clown take.

You beat Sydney by 81

And Collingwood by 1...just a few weeks ago.

I WONDER WHY PEOPLE ARE EVEN WONDERING THIS.

I'm not saying Collingwood would have won...but they would have been 100% more competitive.

Now go away

Collingwood would have been thrashed had they beaten syd. Had they beaten Geelong they still would have gotten thrashed but by a little less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Such a different feeling from the game, pretty much from arriving for the gate 2 queue at about 1:45 and it being a ghost town (I was expecting the line to be well up the path towards Jolimont Station, there were maybe 50 people in front of me), to the calm almost nothing feeling after the final siren.

Queuing up that long to get the plum seats on level 2, something was a little off when the old guy next to me (so to get a seat there he must have been queuing up for a good four hours minimum) told me he hadn't been to a grand final in years and no longer supported any team: he didn't like what the AFL and the umpires were doing to the game and he had a plan that was going to fix everything. He was planning to write a letter to one of the newspapers that was going to shake everything up. Oh, good... so I'm on about 90 minutes sleep and sitting next to this guy for the grand final. You beauty. He tried to start a conversation again in the third quarter about how - as a Geelong supporter - I must have been hoping for a better contest. Are you effing kidding me? There's nothing better than your team dishing out a good old belting in the grand final when you have 45 minutes of game time to just lap it up.

Maybe it's because I've started my family after 2011, it wasn't going to be the usual big night. I reckon it was the first flag where I really didn't feel that real elation, the electricity about it; it was just a sense of relief that they'd finally done it (I guess it's on a microscopic scale of what you hear some players and coaches speak about) and just a huge sense of happiness for so many of the people involved.

It's a legacy-defining win for so many involved with the club. There's the obvious ones: Patrick Dangerfield, Chris Scott, Joel Selwood, Tom Hawkins... it immediately takes them up to another level as far as their hall of fame credentials go. Is Selwood now Geelong's greatest ever player? Does Dangerfield's combination of a premiership (and likely Gary Ayres Medal) and decade plus of superstardom give him the edge back over Fyfe and Martin? Is Chris Scott now a certain hall of fame coach and has there been anyone to compare with him, as far as two time premiership coaches go? Doesn't Hawkins have to go past nearly everyone besides Franklin now in the discussion of key forwards of the 21st century?

Then there's Jeremy Cameron and Tom Stewart, stars of the game who are closer to the end than the start of their careers (as funny as that sounds in Stewart's case). Mark Blicavs, twice a Carji Greeves Medallist in relative down years, he's every chance to make it a third in a premiership year to go with his first AA. Gary Rohan, now a premiership player and made a huge contribution throughout the finals. Isaac Smith moves along his ex-Hawk 2013-15 teammates on four flags and a Norm Smith for good measure. Rhys Stanley, been a whipping boy for years, pretty much his whole career. He had an excellent season and combined perfectly with Blicavs to overpower Tom Hickey at the stoppages and around the ground.

Mitch Duncan, Cam Guthrie, Zach Tuohy - around the 225-250 game mark now and acknowledged as very good players for quite a while, now they have a premiership (a second for Duncan) in the twilight of their careers. I guess that's what happens when you have so many players in their late 20s and 30s in the team, once they build a commanding lead, they're going to keep playing the game like it's their last shot and never take their foot off the pedal.

Fun fact for those who made it this far: there's been only six guernsey numbers that have featured in each of Geelong's four premierships and four are #30 or higher (including #44 and #45)

The strangest thing said repeatedly to me sat night and beyond is either ‘was it terrible that you won by so much?’ Or ‘would you have preferred a closer game?’. As a cat you take the wins anyway they come and knowing at half time makes the beers taste sooo sweet. Just bloody crazy how people who aren’t club supporters think. 9GF’s attended for 4wins.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SuperMal

Club Legend
Jul 28, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
LEEDS F’jh#$@G UNITED
Melbourne 18 Grand Finals.
W:13 L:5 W%:72.
South Melbourne/Sydney.
19 Grand Finals