Training 2022 Men’s Preseason Thread - New training reports - 15/3

Remove this Banner Ad

You dont find it strange the team hes been on in the last 2 games that mlst resemble an intra club?

Hasnt been on the same side as Stewart, Lav, Ridley, Heppell

No.

He was on the same side as Draper and Parish, who were on different sides to Merrett and Ridley.

You dont find it strange the team hes been on in the last 2 games that mlst resemble an intra club?

Hasnt been on the same side as Stewart, Lav, Ridley, Heppell
It's quite possible that the coaching staff wanted an experienced defender to go on the inexperienced side to help them maintain structures.

It's quite possible that the coaching staff wanted an experienced defender to go on the inexperienced side to help them maintain structures.
I assume sides were picked to try and give certain players specific roles or challenges. For example it felt like the red team didn't have much by way of tall forwards compared to the black side which wouldn't have happened if the goal was two evenly balanced sides.

I assume sides were picked to try and give certain players specific roles or challenges. For example it felt like the red team didn't have much by way of tall forwards compared to the black side which wouldn't have happened if the goal was two evenly balanced sides.
Well... the goal is often evenly-balanced lines - so you can play first-choice F against first-choice D, but a split midfield.

Yeh that could be the only reason and because he provides so much rebound and bounce

But why has it been him both times? Cutler is just experienced and provides dash and penetration

In general it seemed our best 6 forwards vs 6 best defenders

Yeh that could be the only reason and because he provides so much rebound and bounce

But why has it been him both times? Cutler is just experienced and provides dash and penetration
I reckon it was to give the young guys a vocal leader in the backline. Probably pitched as a leadership opportunity for hind. He’s one of the first picked in that backline

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hi all

I'm wanting to go to the practice match Wednesday and just wanting to know is there much parking there?

Thanks

Can't help with the parking question but the below is on the EFC website, doesn't appear to be on the Bulldogs one so not sure if it's a requirement to attend or not, but in case you hadn't seen it;

Hi all

I'm wanting to go to the practice match Wednesday and just wanting to know is there much parking there?

Thanks

I was there for the VFLW game on Saturday and it was full for that. There's really only a small bit of parking at the front and around the side. If you can park nearby, perhaps on the street, and walk in that would be the better idea.

Is Walla back training with the group?
He trained with the non-playing group while the rest were playing in the intraclub, he still has that calf to rehab so probably modified training based on his injury. Don't know if he's back at the club full time or if it was just a day here and there though/

Thanks mate I appreciate it. I just registered. Nothing that I can see on dogs website but doesn't surprise me lol
Will be very limited parking inside but you may find some on Melrose Drive or if you do not mind a short walk there is generally parking at the BP on Link Road / Airport Drive.

Monday:
MattPocock18 from blitz said:
Good evening.

Apologies for the delay, amazing how busy one can be on a public holiday.

A warm day at the Hangar. Training started at 11am, and was completed in an hour.

Not really a great deal to write about, a very light session, you wouldn’t even believe that we had a game this weekend. Group was paired off into three groups, rotating between core strength/stretches on fence, handballing drills and goal-kicking (mostly snaps from the boundary). Given the low number of attendees, I was often OIC football retrieving. I must say my handballing was elite, my kicking was slightly less than elite. ‘Slight’, as in Hitler was slightly nasty.

Notable absentee was Francis, one would suggest that he doesn’t play this week. Jones was on crutches. I think Stringer was there, but from where I was standing and my eyesight, I wasn’t 100% certain. Can absolutely confirm Shiel and McGrath were there, and Shiel was very good with goal kicking. Was talking young Hird (T) about the snaps from the boundary. Shiel appears to be fine for the weekend.

Was nice to see Reid back and participating in drills. As CJohns said doesn’t look too far away. Hurley the same.

Walla looks jovial, but still not moving with any great intensity. Certainly hasn’t lost his finishing skills in front of goal, though. It’s going to take a while, but I just want him to be well.

Interesting that I heard Zerk say that he would go the banana in a game when kicking for goal, but the club told him, and I’m guessing most of the players that they need to practice the snaps on their opposite foot. I’d be interested to discuss this with some of my old uni lecturers in terms of skill acquisition. For me, and I think my lecturers would agree, you do what works for you (as long as you’re doing the basics right and it actually works consistently), but it appears the club want them to develop the skill on their opposite foot. I don’t know the biomechanics or whatever on whether the ‘snap/Stevie J kick’ is a safer kick than a banana, but it’s interesting that the coaches are almost mandating a style of kick, regardless of whether it works for individuals.

Would get a better gauge on how ‘right’ we are from main training, which will be Wednesday, I presume. I guess the good sign is that even though it was a light session, almost all of the players were there. The vibe wasn’t quite as visibly upbeat as in previous sessions this pre-season, but it was a light session, hopefully it’s the ‘steely determination’ to obliterate any and every opponent that stands in our midst.

Time for a nice cold cider. Goodnight.

Today:
Maxx from blitz said:
Training was pretty short or I got there late.

Stringer looked good. Ran some laps at good speed.
Hurley looks really close, good size and running well. He might be further away as I haven’t seen him doing any body/strength but I could see him playing in a month up forward.
Good to see Walla but he seems mid season return at best. Still one the better kicks at the club.
Parish is a standout, trains like a true professional.
Caldwell similar to Parish, trains hard. Can see him being the mid that spends the most time forward.
Draper was moving well, good hands and great kicking.
Shiel and Smith moved well and trained at a good intensity.
Langford is the best kick by a mile, players rarely break stride when he’s kicking.
I like the look of Voss but he’s always going to lack the footy nous, well at least for a year or two.
Francis was training but would be a big turn around to see him play. Might be best to wait until he’s 100%.
Heppell, McGrath and Snelling were there but not on the track. Wasn’t really on the look out for who wasn’t out there.

I think we’ll look to roll in numbers and zig zag our way through transition at speed. Forward entries were all shallow hit ups and I think there might be a bit of a plan to aim for the flanks and then hit a target into the corridor and protect space for the next lead into the hole. Also seems there is plan to be having a shot in a shallow V instead of wide shots.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back