Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 10 - Hawks v Lions Sun May 22nd 3:20pm EST (University of Tasmania)

Who will win and by how much?

• Hawks by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Hawks by 7 - 20

Votes: 2 6.9%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 11 37.9%
  • Hawks by a lot

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 3.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
What consitutes as very recently, because we had injury issues last year as well.

19' and 20' we definitely had good runs with injury though but so far 21' and 22' shaping up to be more the standard.
We haven't gone a game this year without somebody getting injured. We now have No rucks available for this week's game. Sure you have 3 important players out but we have been without our Captain almost all year and we're missing our best forward in Gunston. No scrimshaw either who is a lock in our best 22. I'd say we're doing very well to be winning games such as yesterday with at least 5-6 of our best 22 not playing when we are rebuilding. Probably shows our depth isn't as bad as we thought.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Don’t be a flog, you got nursed home, by 5 points, after receiving 36 free kicks and god knows how many 50’s- not to mention Brisbane missing half their spine. But yep rather be Hawthorn 🙄
Mate we had our 2 first choice rucks unavailable and our best forward. Piss poor excuse if your using injuries. We have been one of the worst hit if any club.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Mate we had our 2 first choice rucks unavailable and our best forward. Piss poor excuse if your using injuries. We have been one of the worst hit if any club.
So your 3 are better players than Daniher, McStay and Adam’s.right…….. doesn’t have to be the excuse the 9 free kicks leading to goals is enough by itself.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
So your 3 are better players than Daniher, McStay and Adam’s.right…….. doesn’t have to be the excuse the 9 free kicks leading to goals is enough by itself.
Just because frees led to goals, doesn't mean it's wrong. Alot of the frees we got were due to your team panicking. Often.

There was some ******* howlers both ways but it didn't favour any team and alot of the ones that lead to goals were there, high tackles and holding mainly.

The players we had out were
Gunston, Scrimshaw, Reeves (no1 ruck), Day (subbed in the 3rd term), McEvoy (our captain).

Just to name the main ones.

Daniher is a gun, and has been a very good forward, Gunston has missing some goals but he's been super dangerous and a really good forward aswell.

Scrimshaw out is a key part of our back 6, defends well but most importantly, he can intercept, and kick ******* darts on both feet so losing Adams is key for you, he is for us. Losing Day was again bad for us as he's one of our bright emerging stars while you had McStay out who's been a solid contributor. Frost would've went back anyway to help out with the extra key forwards, with DGB and Sicily.

We also got smashed in the ruck and still beat your A midfield (Lyons, Neale, Bailey, Rayner, McCluggage) with 1 ruck being double teamed and our no1 ruck who's our first choice ruck (Reeves), not playing.

Angus Young

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 3, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
AFL umpiring is just a disgrace... the ticky touch bullshit and soft 50m *s up games now.

The rules committee should all go and punch themselves in the face.

All they do is destroy the product.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just because frees led to goals, doesn't mean it's wrong. Alot of the frees we got were due to your team panicking. Often.

There was some ******* howlers both ways but it didn't favour any team and alot of the ones that lead to goals were there, high tackles and holding mainly.

The players we had out were
Gunston, Scrimshaw, Reeves (no1 ruck), Day (subbed in the 3rd term), McEvoy (our captain).

Just to name the main ones.

Daniher is a gun, and has been a very good forward, Gunston has missing some goals but he's been super dangerous and a really good forward aswell.

Scrimshaw out is a key part of our back 6, defends well but most importantly, he can intercept, and kick ******* darts on both feet so losing Adams is key for you, he is for us. Losing Day was again bad for us as he's one of our bright emerging stars while you had McStay out who's been a solid contributor. Frost would've went back anyway to help out with the extra key forwards, with DGB and Sicily.

We also got smashed in the ruck and still beat your A midfield (Lyons, Neale, Bailey, Rayner, McCluggage) with 1 ruck being double teamed and our no1 ruck who's our first choice ruck (Reeves), not playing.
You make some valid points but if you don’t think you got the best of the umpiring you weren’t watching. My main take from the game was that the game is completely F$&@)d-. Was once upon a time the greatest game in the world- now it’s a joke, can’t believe what they have done to it.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You make some valid points but if you don’t think you got the best of the umpiring you weren’t watching. My main take from the game was that the game is completely F$&@)d-. Was once upon a time the greatest game in the world- now it’s a joke, can’t believe what they have done to it.
I thought it was tit for tat in the first half, the third term and fourth term were bad but both teams were favoured at different times.

Alot of howlers and bad calls, but wasn't overly favouring either team and we were the better team on the day.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Really liking how Hawthorn are progressing inconsistency is there sure but Newcombe with pick 2 in the mid season draft is looking like a unbelievable steal.

Turning into a contested beast of a midfielder Sicily injury free makes a huge difference to their backline.

Good spread of goal kickers as well.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought it was tit for tat in the first half, the third term and fourth term were bad but both teams were favoured at different times.

Alot of howlers and bad calls, but wasn't overly favouring either team and we were the better team on the day.
You don’t think an extra 9 free kicks favours favours your team? Let alone things like Newcombe getting done cold holding the ball 20 m’s out from goal and it not being called…. Not long after Moore dives to his knees and gets a too high directly in front. I could go on but I don’t care enough. If we get the 9 extra frees no doubt we win.

Dewyyyyy

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 28, 2020
AFL Club
Hawthorn
You don’t think an extra 9 free kicks favours favours your team? Let alone things like Newcombe getting done cold holding the ball 20 m’s out from goal and it not being called…. Not long after Moore dives to his knees and gets a too high directly in front. I could go on but I don’t care enough. If we get the 9 extra frees no doubt we win.
The high on Moore and the high frees in general are always going to get paid.

There were some shockers against us with the Mitchell one. That Breust one was soft, shrugged him and bounced it but the bloke had a fingernail on him so it’s HTB. The Newcombe one was 50/50. He picked it up and immediately tackled. But he picked up so cleanly he already had his other arm up to fend and it wasn’t two motions of pickup then fend.

You guys were extremely and I mean extremely uncharacteristicly fumbly, unclean and panicky.

AlwaysHawks15

Premiership Player
Nov 12, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Gunston is better than McStay and Adams. In a good team he would be kicking bags every week. We have no rucks mate and you had 3 playing. In what world would that not have an impact. I'll give you Joe so that makes 1 player missing who would make a difference to your team compared to us on the weekend. You had no excuse. We supposed to be rebuilding remember.

jonnobackpocket

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2015
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Gunston is better than McStay and Adams. In a good team he would be kicking bags every week. We have no rucks mate and you had 3 playing. In what world would that not have an impact. I'll give you Joe so that makes 1 player missing who would make a difference to your team compared to us on the weekend. You had no excuse. We supposed to be rebuilding remember.
Gunston better than both Adam’s and McStay, ha, not bothering even going there.

TaylorMade

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
AFL umpiring is just a disgrace... the ticky touch bullshit and soft 50m ducks up games now.

The rules committee should all go and punch themselves in the face.

All they do is destroy the product.

Couldn't agree more - Sunday's game was an absolute joke.

There's a lot of conversations in here about whether the umpiring favoured one team or the other but at the end of the day Hawks won in a tight one with the umpiring clearly below standard both way - I think the conversation and frustration from supporters would be better directed at the AFL to say "Not Good Enough".

63 free kicks in a game of football is an absolute joke. It was a cracking game and that's what we should be talking about, instead we are in here debating about not 1 bad free kick, but 30+ across the game thanks to these putrid umpires.

Whateley said he has reviewed the game and found:

• 28/63 Free kicks were "Without question" and should have been paid
  • 13/63 were a straight no and shouldn't have been paid
  • Reading between the lines that means a further 22/63 were 50/50 calls on whether they should have been called or not

Complete over officiated bull s**t. 13 incorrect decisions in a game with another 22 in doubt is absolute rubbish and we as supporters are right to expect better.

Back