Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 15 - Cats v Tigers Sat June 25th 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

It was an excellent game. Showcased the best - and worst - of both sides

Gee Stengle has to be in AA contention now
As an aside from the usual sniping between our teams, how good were all the indigenous players in this game? We had Bolton and Pickett, the 2 Riolis and even Edwards, who is approaching the end, had his moments. And one of your best was an ex- member of the Tigers' "Brothers".

Last edited:
As an aside from the usual sniping between our teams, how good were all the indigenous players in this game? We had Bolton and Pickett, the 2 Riolis and even Edwards, who is approaching the end, had his moments. And one of your best was an ex- member of the Tiger's "Brothers".

They were all fantastic Bolton was outstanding gee he’s got strong hands

Wonder how big the fine will be for Richmond not taking Tarrant off for a concussion test at the end of the second quarter is going to be

Dimma did confirm that he was off the ground for 15 minutes mate. 86% game time is quite low for a KPD.

Excuse me for asking but are you a Pommie?

WTF does a red card even mean.? This game we're supporting and commenting on is AFL not soccer.

Yeah I am a pommie. Lived here for 13 years, not sure of the relevance though.

I know its not soccer. I certainly don't advocate for a red card rule like in soccer, its a much bigger penalty in AFL. My view is, its uncomfortable that a guy that has knocked another guy out with a significant action can actually then be regarded as one of the best and most influential players on the field. My suggestion would be it would need to be a serious incident (you might see 1 or 2 incidents a season) but that player should be carded and have to be subbed out of the game. It maintains 18 v 18 whilst also providing punishment to both sides.

The number of offences that it could be used for would have to be focused on those serious incidents that the AFL has continually said they want out of the game and this was 1 of them. For example, if you knock someone out with a sling tackle, there wouldn't been many times that you would be carded for it.

As I say, I don't think it would be used often, just for those really serious actions, similar to the Andrew Gaff one. He would have also been carded for that action on Brayshaw.

On balance yes. Kicks straight at the sticks, provides a forwards marking target, provides excellent forward half defensive pressure. If Rohan was 100% I suspect he would have been named over Miers. That said... he's in the bottom quarter of our best 22, someone who plays a role reliably, not a match winner.
Thanks for your response. I’ve always struggled to see his value, but you watch him more than I do.

I don't think many Richmond fans are really complaining about the 26 that we gave away, but its the ones that are either missed or Geelong given more time to dispose of the ball in HTB decisions etc that aren't paid that hurt.

We do give away some stupid frees, hence why most games we concede over 20 frees, but 13 in a full game that is contested in the way that game was is a low return from the level of tackling that we had.

There were some others that didn't hurt us, Lynch was given a big head high whack by De Koning in the goal square, we scored anyway so like I say doesn't hurt but those frees are so obvious, I don't understand how 3 umpires cannot see them.

I would expect us to lose the free kick count most weeks as we can be a bit undisciplined but there were certainly some frees that we should have received that weren't paid.

In addition to this, you look at the ones that aren't really discipline related, but just not paid.

HRS just before halftime marks the ball in the square, and a Geelong player runs through the protected zone with no opponent and no intention to man the mark. No 50m is paid despite the obvious encroaching. Insetad of Soldo kicking from 45m out, you have HRS klicking from about 30m out. Would've made a difference. Also in the 4th, Richmond player has the ball on the wing, and before he handballs or ump calls play on, the Geelong player moves off the mark. No 50m paid, but even the Geelong player on the mark thought they gave away a 50m since the ump hadn't called play on.

You then have ones where both players are wrestling each other, but because one goes to ground in the midst of the tussle, a free kick is paid. This happened for Jack's speccy when Lynch gave away a free to De Koning, but later on, when Lynch was held by 2 Geelong defenders, because he didn't go to ground or anything, TDK was able to intercept mark and no blocking or holding free to Lynch.

Geelong defender deliberately taking the ball over the behind line infuriates me despite it being the rule. I also have a gripe with free kicks for holding and/or blocking when players have no realistic chance of contesting the ball, but that's a different argument.

There was just too many inconsistencies in the umpiring for it to seem 'fair'. Some people have mentioned it already, but how can you report a bloke for a high bump, but not even give a free kick for the incident?

People bring up Richmond's style of play, and supporters would acknowledge that we don't expect to win the free kick count, but to see a lopsided free kick count during the HA season, to become 50/50 during finals with no change in the way we play is so random it can't be a coincidence.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He did go off for 15 mins, Hardwick spoke about it in the press conference as one of the things they had to deal with when moving the magnets around
Concussion protocol is 20mins

Dimma did confirm that he was off the ground for 15 minutes mate. 86% game time is quite low for a KPD.
Pity the concussion protocol is 20mins, so Dimma confirmed they didn't follow the rules. Big fine incoming

Concussion protocol is 20mins
Pity the concussion protocol is 20mins, so Dimma confirmed they didn't follow the rules. Big fine incoming

Would've had the quarter time break as well genius.

Played 86% of game time (low for a KPD), and recorded down for 104 minutes time on ground (which would mean 17 minutes off the ground). Add in the 6 minutes for quarter time, that's 23 minutes.

Do you know how to do basic maths? Or capable of logical reasoning?

To paraphrase “don’t be upset, you took their best mid out of the game which no doubt won us the game, sure brad and Chris will work something out so you only miss the north game”
😆

I'm no fan of Selwood but it was probably more like "thanks for staying focused enough to help us win the game, see you in August buddy"

Considering Prestia didn’t even get a free kick I doubt the maggots would be able to adjudicate that properly.
yep, it's quite bizarre...they really missed that?!

Red card would have to be taken care of by the ARK or whatever it is called.

Maybe (heaven forbid) soccer-style VAR, when the ARK spots a possible red card offence, they radio the on-field 'boss' ump, they trot over, view the footage, make the call.

It's just a massive flaw in the game, Tom Stewart can intentionally put Prestia out of the game for effectively two weeks, and face no repercussions until 7 days later., if any, let's see Geelong's legal team try to weasle out of this one.

If that was a GF...I mean they already did it with Danger's hit on Vlas and it nearly bought them a flag.

Would've had the quarter time break as well genius.

Played 86% of game time (low for a KPD), and recorded down for 104 minutes time on ground (which would mean 17 minutes off the ground). Add in the 6 minutes for quarter time, that's 23 minutes.

Do you know how to do basic maths? Or capable of logical reasoning?
Concussion protocol doesn't include breaks in play sad to say so once again you've proven Richmond broke the rules and a major fine is incoming

3 weeks for me. Did everything wrong, went past the ball with eyes only for the man and got him clean high pretty hard. Clear cut suspension and a big one.

We barely scraped over the line vs WCE and are still without a few best 22 so it'll be a pretty big upset if Richmond chokes this one away on their home turf

You were absolutely Right Holmes was amazing last night and really dominated the game , Wouldnt surprise me if he got 10 coaches votes for that sensational 10 possession going at 40% disposal efficiency and even manged to get 100mtrs gained.

Well done definitely a best 22 player

NOT

Back