Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 15 - Cats v Tigers Sat June 25th 4:35pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Tigers by a goal or less

Votes: 3 6.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 15 30.0%
  • Tigers by 7 - 20

Votes: 19 38.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • Tigers by a lot

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Richmond fans sooking is so good. Their arrogance after beating us via a dodgy score review last week was embarrassing.

Wah wah wah Prestia went off.
I totally understand the blues hatred of us, if we played a team that consistently beat us every time we played over a decade I would really hate them too.

I totally understand the blues hatred of us, if we played a team that consistently beat us every time we played over a decade I would really hate them too.

I don't hate the Tiges playing group, nor Dimma or anyone. Lynch has a punchable head and Bolton seems like a flog, the rest seem cool enough.

You were a flog after last weeks win, dismissing Carltons injury list and the reaming we got from the umpires saying they're just weak excuses. Now you're doing the same thing after a close loss. It's beautiful and ironic. EAD.

I don't hate the Tiges playing group, nor Dimma or anyone. Lynch has a punchable head and Bolton seems like a flog, the rest seem cool enough.

You were a flog after last weeks win, dismissing Carltons injury list and the reaming we got from the umpires saying they're just weak excuses. Now you're doing the same thing after a close loss. It's beautiful and ironic. EAD.
Again I understand the hate, it’s fair enough, like I said I’d be the same if I had to experience what you blokes have.

Bit hypocritical considering we were told the same when we had couple of key players missing and on the end of more dubious free kicks in rd 1 compared to you guys last week

Cat’s-Tiger’s on field rivalry and BF antipathy starting to assume Cats-Hawks like proportions.

Didn't even know there was a 'thing' until Richmond got the wood over Geelong the last handful of years.

The previous decades before that were pretty much one sided and hence no real antipathy from Cats supporters.

Interesting to see the vitriol never really sated by a few premierships, like there's something deeper going on.

It's interesting I reckon, and a bit different to any other rivalry in the AFL I suspect, in that for H&A games between these clubs this century, Geelong have won all but a handful. In finals Richmond have won 3 out of 3.
As with most football followers, I respect Geelong as one of the best managed clubs on and off the field that the competition has ever seen. That they have been so competitive for so long is a reflection of a very functional culture and how extraordinarily well the club is run.
From a Richmond perspective, I think our rivalry with Geelong doesn't match ours with Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon, but there is certainly historical trauma at the hands of Geelong which almost definitely influences attitudes today.
Geelong has suffered loses in big games including a Grand Final, and I get the feeling that this has somewhat embittered them. But the reactions of their supporters after the 2020 Grand Final showed me that they mostly respect Richmond's achievements too.

In the end, a bit of rivalry adds to the joy of winning and the frustration at losing. I like it.

From my perspective and that of a lot of the cats posters I regularly interact with the angst comes from this - and I’m not saying YOU are one of these posters:

- Richmond never lose. It’s always someone else’s fault. Every club has a couple of meatheads that always blame umpires, the afl itself, cheating opponents, whatever. I don’t think any supporter group has the proportion of these people that Richmond do. Maybe it’s just that they’re more vocal about it, who knows. But in the 6 seasons since the Tigers resurfaced, it’s a recurring theme - they’ve NEVER just not been good enough or an opponent has been too good. Even yesterday: 100 per cent the absence of Prestia hurt and impacted the game. But are they the first team to lose a good player to injury or foul play? No. It happens regularly in some capacity. It’s not a new inconvenience that only Richmond have suffered.

- there is an unusually high proportion of Richmond supporters who simply refuse to acknowledge logic. This is no better exemplified than the oft-repeated conspiracy theory that the AFL wants them to fail. Why would a business want one of his most profitable ‘products’ to fail? It makes absolutely no sense.

- the inability of tigers fans to give credit to opponents. I have not encountered any fan base that is as bad at crediting an opponent as Richmond. Many many cats fans and neutral fans tipped their hat to the tigers yesterday for the way they fought out the game. Maybe 1/10 tigers fans could say anything remotely complimentary

- The tigers since they’ve been up and about seem to think that the previous 37 years didn’t happen. There isn’t another side in the comp that’s been through a big drought - Melbourne, Geelong, Dogs, Sydney etc - who don’t routinely acknowledge that for all the good times there’s been a hell of a lot of bad. The tigers fans seem to think that their wilderness years never happened.

- in Geelong terms, the arrogance over winning three recent finals is perplexing. ‘We beat you when it counts.’ Yeah you have. In your peak years out of the last four decades, you have beaten us. So has nearly everyone else that’s met us in finals. We are half the side we were a decade ago, still decent but not near where we were. A great side like Richmond SHOULD be winning those games, as much as I would have loved for us to do it instead. Do the same people really believe however that if they scraped up enough wins to earn a shot at us in 07-11 or even in the 1990s, that they would have won? Fact was, they rarely if ever made it that far. That’s not our fault.

Again, this isn’t aimed at YOU personally this is the story that the vocal majority (or minority, hard to say exactly) have created

Richmond fans sooking is so good. Their arrogance after beating us via a dodgy score review last week was embarrassing.

Wah wah wah Prestia went off.
Carlton supporters sook fest after Richmond well outplayed them last week was epic and possibly the biggest collective meltdown this season :D

From my perspective and that of a lot of the cats posters I regularly interact with the angst comes from this - and I’m not saying YOU are one of these posters:

- Richmond never lose. It’s always someone else’s fault. Every club has a couple of meatheads that always blame umpires, the afl itself, cheating opponents, whatever. I don’t think any supporter group has the proportion of these people that Richmond do. Maybe it’s just that they’re more vocal about it, who knows. But in the 6 seasons since the Tigers resurfaced, it’s a recurring theme - they’ve NEVER just not been good enough or an opponent has been too good. Even yesterday: 100 per cent the absence of Prestia hurt and impacted the game. But are they the first team to lose a good player to injury or foul play? No. It happens regularly in some capacity. It’s not a new inconvenience that only Richmond have suffered.

- there is an unusually high proportion of Richmond supporters who simply refuse to acknowledge logic. This is no better exemplified than the oft-repeated conspiracy theory that the AFL wants them to fail. Why would a business want one of his most profitable ‘products’ to fail? It makes absolutely no sense.

- the inability of tigers fans to give credit to opponents. I have not encountered any fan base that is as bad at crediting an opponent as Richmond. Many many cats fans and neutral fans tipped their hat to the tigers yesterday for the way they fought out the game. Maybe 1/10 tigers fans could say anything remotely complimentary

- The tigers since they’ve been up and about seem to think that the previous 37 years didn’t happen. There isn’t another side in the comp that’s been through a big drought - Melbourne, Geelong, Dogs, Sydney etc - who don’t routinely acknowledge that for all the good times there’s been a hell of a lot of bad. The tigers fans seem to think that their wilderness years never happened.

- in Geelong terms, the arrogance over winning three recent finals is perplexing. ‘We beat you when it counts.’ Yeah you have. In your peak years out of the last four decades, you have beaten us. So has nearly everyone else that’s met us in finals. We are half the side we were a decade ago, still decent but not near where we were. A great side like Richmond SHOULD be winning those games, as much as I would have loved for us to do it instead. Do the same people really believe however that if they scraped up enough wins to earn a shot at us in 07-11 or even in the 1990s, that they would have won? Fact was, they rarely if ever made it that far. That’s not our fault.

Again, this isn’t aimed at YOU personally this is the story that the vocal majority (or minority, hard to say exactly) have created
Thanks for the reply. Respect.
But you come across as bitter and damaged. Do you think some of these Richmond supporters might just be trying to get a rise out of you?

And I'll respond here cause I would consider myself pretty rational when making serious posts such as this:

- We do acknowledge when we lose. Taking away the obvious loss to Melbourne this season where we were generally not good enough in the midfield, in our Round 1 loss to Carlton, our midfield wasn't big enough to compete with Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett. Absolutely smashed there. Prestia out early in the game doesn't help, and Graham playing half cooked was a mistake from the coaching team. But there was more than enough quality on the field to at least break even with Cotchin, Martin and Bolton. Key personnel had woeful games such as Nankervis, and while umpires were a lot stricter on some interpretations of the rules, we lost that game because our midfield was smashed. Round 3 vs St Kilda, we just didn't show up in the 4th quarter. No run, pressure, tackle intent. Nothing. Round 4 vs the Crows, we started the game off with poor structure on our wings that the Crows were able to exploit a few times in the first half. By the time we fixed things up, we were chasing the game too much, and left too much to do for ourselves at the end. Then you have the loss vs Swans which was, again, contest work in the 3rd quarter, and the game against you guys were a multitude of factors.

- Do I think the AFL wants Richmond to fail? No. I'm obviously not in that camp. But do I think we are umpired differently to every other team in the competition? Most definitely. And it's very hard to give evidence for that other than saying that watch enough Richmond games, and you might get it.

- In the immediate aftermath of a hotly contested game where Richmond fans (rightly or wrongly) feel cheated, I don't know why you expect compliments for the Geelong team, especially after the Stewart incident and the Cameron incident in the first half of the game. I've personally seen some of the more level-headed supporters give Geelong the compliment and brilliance for that first half performance, the way they then wrestled control back from Richmond, and what was a generally hard fought victory in the end. Last week, for example, all throughout the Carlton game, I could see multiple Richmond fans commenting on how well the Blues' midfielders were spreading from the contest and for the team to be wary of it. So no, there is no inability to five credit to the opponent, but I don't think it's realistic to expect immediate credit after the way the game went the way it did.

- Not sure why you would think this? Also, why would we want to acknowledge or bring up painful memories?

And an explanation from my earlier comments of being umpired differently, and a general response as to why you would think Richmond fans would be talking about umpires so much:

Before I continue this, I would like to first acknowledge that we Richmond fans don't expect to have a 50/50 free kick record or a winning free kick record. To us, anything more than a 50/50 record is more of a novelty than anything else. We understand and accept that our style of play isn't conducive to winning free kicks, and is more of the opposite since we want to pressure and tackle hard.

But the problems begin here. We're not the only side in the AFL that plays high intensity, high pressure, high tackling game, but I can garner a guess that out of those teams that do play this style, we are probably the least rewarded. I would be surprised if we get more than 3 inside 50 free kicks for any given game, which would be strange considering we pride ourselves on our forward 50 pressure and tackling.

If we just look purely at the freekick stats, how do you explain a lopsided free kick count during the home and away season then becomes 50/50 in finals when the way we play stays the same? And it's not like there's a single finals game we've played in where there is an argument of one way umpiring. That alone would makes us Richmond fans scratch our heads.

We can also go into specifics, using yesterday's game as an example. 2 different times I counted Geelong players encroaching the mark in different ways, yet umpires straight out ignore them. Before halftime, HRS marks the ball in the centre of the ground, and a Geelong player streams past him, within the 10m protected zone with no opponent and no intention to man the mark. You then have an incident in the 4th quarter where the Geelong player moves off the mark prior to play on, yet again no 50. In that situation, even the Geelong player thought he gave away the 50m with the way he reacted on the mark.

The Lynch free kick against TDK where Jack took the hanger. I don't about you, but to me, that's just two players wrestling for position, but one stumbles during the tussle and the ump pays it as a free kick. Yet you would often see Lynch being surrounded by 2 or 3 players in a contest, where one blocks Lynch out of the contest while the other intercepts and no frees being given (happened a couple moments later when TDK took an intercept mark). There's also multiple moments where Lynch would have his arms pulled in marking contests (not exclusively in this game, but there was a clear one on 3qrt time siren vs GWS earlier this season that could not be more obvious) or defenders making high contact with Lynch not being called (one yesterday where TDK clearly has arms over Lynch's shoulder, called play on, Jack tackles Bews (I think), which could've been HTB but play on before Clarke snaps the goal).

You then have the situation where, as a Richmond supporter, you never feel like you get the 50/50 call. This might just be a perceived bias all supporters would feel with respect to their own side, but you still get it. For example, Broad was caught holding the ball at one point yesterday despite never taking control of the ball, was immediately tackled, and it was the Geelong player who bought the ball into Broad. Broad didn't drag it in, nor did he jump on top of the ball. But then you look at the last moments of the game. Just before Stewart marks with 30 seconds left, Kolodjashnij is clearly seen holding Riewoldt with no intention of marking the ball which impedes Jack's ability to contest the ball, and wasn't a shepherd for Strewart. TDK was paid something similar earlier on in the quarter as mentioned above, but nothing here. You then have a situation with 10 seconds left where Brad Close has the ball, and looks like he drags the ball in or takes a tackler on, but I would disagree with that view from other Richmond supporters.

This isn't a woe is me post from a Richmond supporter, nor is it a a post saying we should've received a free kick in the dying seconds of the game. It's just an explanation of why Richmond supporters would feel hard done by umpires, and why there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that we are umpired differently. But I can already see other supporters calling me a sook, hard loser and whatever.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I'll respond here cause I would consider myself pretty rational when making serious posts such as this:

- We do acknowledge when we lose. Taking away the obvious loss to Melbourne this season where we were generally not good enough in the midfield, in our Round 1 loss to Carlton, our midfield wasn't big enough to compete with Kennedy, Cripps and Hewett. Absolutely smashed there. Prestia out early in the game doesn't help, and Graham playing half cooked was a mistake from the coaching team. But there was more than enough quality on the field to at least break even with Cotchin, Martin and Bolton. Key personnel had woeful games such as Nankervis, and while umpires were a lot stricter on some interpretations of the rules, we lost that game because our midfield was smashed. Round 3 vs St Kilda, we just didn't show up in the 4th quarter. No run, pressure, tackle intent. Nothing. Round 4 vs the Crows, we started the game off with poor structure on our wings that the Crows were able to exploit a few times in the first half. By the time we fixed things up, we were chasing the game too much, and left too much to do for ourselves at the end. Then you have the loss vs Swans which was, again, contest work in the 3rd quarter, and the game against you guys were a multitude of factors.

- Do I think the AFL wants Richmond to fail? No. I'm obviously not in that camp. But do I think we are umpired differently to every other team in the competition? Most definitely. And it's very hard to give evidence for that other than saying that watch enough Richmond games, and you might get it.

- In the immediate aftermath of a hotly contested game where Richmond fans (rightly or wrongly) feel cheated, I don't know why you expect compliments for the Geelong team, especially after the Stewart incident and the Cameron incident in the first half of the game. I've personally seen some of the more level-headed supporters give Geelong the compliment and brilliance for that first half performance, the way they then wrestled control back from Richmond, and what was a generally hard fought victory in the end. Last week, for example, all throughout the Carlton game, I could see multiple Richmond fans commenting on how well the Blues' midfielders were spreading from the contest and for the team to be wary of it. So no, there is no inability to five credit to the opponent, but I don't think it's realistic to expect immediate credit after the way the game went the way it did.

- Not sure why you would think this? Also, why would we want to acknowledge or bring up painful memories?

And an explanation from my earlier comments of being umpired differently, and a general response as to why you would think Richmond fans would be talking about umpires so much:

Before I continue this, I would like to first acknowledge that we Richmond fans don't expect to have a 50/50 free kick record or a winning free kick record. To us, anything more than a 50/50 record is more of a novelty than anything else. We understand and accept that our style of play isn't conducive to winning free kicks, and is more of the opposite since we want to pressure and tackle hard.

But the problems begin here. We're not the only side in the AFL that plays high intensity, high pressure, high tackling game, but I can garner a guess that out of those teams that do play this style, we are probably the least rewarded. I would be surprised if we get more than 3 inside 50 free kicks for any given game, which would be strange considering we pride ourselves on our forward 50 pressure and tackling.

If we just look purely at the freekick stats, how do you explain a lopsided free kick count during the home and away season then becomes 50/50 in finals when the way we play stays the same? And it's not like there's a single finals game we've played in where there is an argument of one way umpiring. That alone would makes us Richmond fans scratch our heads.

We can also go into specifics, using yesterday's game as an example. 2 different times I counted Geelong players encroaching the mark in different ways, yet umpires straight out ignore them. Before halftime, HRS marks the ball in the centre of the ground, and a Geelong player streams past him, within the 10m protected zone with no opponent and no intention to man the mark. You then have an incident in the 4th quarter where the Geelong player moves off the mark prior to play on, yet again no 50. In that situation, even the Geelong player thought he gave away the 50m with the way he reacted on the mark.

The Lynch free kick against TDK where Jack took the hanger. I don't about you, but to me, that's just two players wrestling for position, but one stumbles during the tussle and the ump pays it as a free kick. Yet you would often see Lynch being surrounded by 2 or 3 players in a contest, where one blocks Lynch out of the contest while the other intercepts and no frees being given (happened a couple moments later when TDK took an intercept mark). There's also multiple moments where Lynch would have his arms pulled in marking contests (not exclusively in this game, but there was a clear one on 3qrt time siren vs GWS earlier this season that could not be more obvious) or defenders making high contact with Lynch not being called (one yesterday where TDK clearly has arms over Lynch's shoulder, called play on, Jack tackles Bews (I think), which could've been HTB but play on before Clarke snaps the goal).

You then have the situation where, as a Richmond supporter, you never feel like you get the 50/50 call. This might just be a perceived bias all supporters would feel with respect to their own side, but you still get it. For example, Broad was caught holding the ball at one point yesterday despite never taking control of the ball, was immediately tackled, and it was the Geelong player who bought the ball into Broad. Broad didn't drag it in, nor did he jump on top of the ball. But then you look at the last moments of the game. Just before Stewart marks with 30 seconds left, Kolodjashnij is clearly seen holding Riewoldt with no intention of marking the ball which impedes Jack's ability to contest the ball, and wasn't a shepherd for Strewart. TDK was paid something similar earlier on in the quarter as mentioned above, but nothing here. You then have a situation with 10 seconds left where Brad Close has the ball, and looks like he drags the ball in or takes a tackler on, but I would disagree with that view from other Richmond supporters.

This isn't a woe is me post from a Richmond supporter, nor is it a a post saying we should've received a free kick in the dying seconds of the game. It's just an explanation of why Richmond supporters would feel hard done by umpires, and why there is quite a lot of evidence to suggest that we are umpired differently. But I can already see other supporters calling me a sook, hard loser and whatever.

I don’t expect compliments. I expect grace.

And the home and away to finals umpiring differential has one very obvious explanation.

In finals MOST sides - unfortunately not us - put a much bigger focus on pressure and intensity. The weighting of those things against game plan change completely in finals. The tigers game plan generally revolves around that anyway. They don’t have to change their game. Other teams do and they get adjudicated on the same spectrum.

And the home and away to finals umpiring differential has one very obvious explanation.

In finals MOST sides - unfortunately not us - put a much bigger focus on pressure and intensity. The weighting of those things against game plan change completely in finals. The tigers game plan generally revolves around that anyway. They don’t have to change their game. Other teams do and they get adjudicated on the same spectrum.

Compliment, credit, grace, call it whatever you want the sentiment and implications are the same. I haven't seen a rational Richmond fan say Geelong played so bad, they didn't deserver to win. All I've seen is bewilderment and bemusement of the umpiring.

Carlton supporters sook fest after Richmond well outplayed them last week was epic and possibly the biggest collective meltdown this season :D

Currently being outdone by the Richmond sookfest suggesting Geelong performed a planned hit on Prestia and Selwood congratulated Stewart for it :tearsofjoy:

I understand your frustrations, the rules aren't always clear and no doubt Geelong got the rub of the green tonight, however, that was an epic game and I hope you were entertained, that was far better than any WWE crap and an great display of AFL. Richmond are incredible, the way they ping the ball around when they are going is unstoppable and has been giving me the shits for a very long time.
It is hard to take the game seriously when the result is so evidently decided by terrible umpiring. No consistency at all. We just have this mentality that any criticism of the umpires is being a sore loser, so we therefor never try to change it.

Seriously, 26- 13 free kicks for the game. Miers getting that free kick for 'holding the game' right in front of goals is just one example. Watch the replay, even Geelong players were not expecting to get a free kick. But its an easy shot in front of goal. The countless free kicks at centre bouncers for god only knows what. The most laughable 50 m penalty to bring the Geelong player right in front of goal. All of that, plus more, is easily more then 2 points, so therefor the game was decided by unprofessional amateur umpiring and a sport that is turning into a joke. And it is not just one game, this random blowing the whistle, random 'interpretations' has been happening for 15 plus years now.

The holding the ball rule is just funny at this point. Run with the ball and just drop the ball when tackled apparently is not holding the ball... but the umpires will randomly just pay holding the ball to someone at the bottom of the pack.... but then the next contest someone will drag it under them and have no intent to get it out and it is not paid. LOL there is no rule anymore, just whenever the umpire wants to randomly give a a free kick.

The same happens with the 'protection zone' and the new 'stand' rule on the mark. Sometimes, the umpire just pays a 50 m penalty. Other times you hear them screaming at a player to get back and they dont listen and nothing happens. Other times a player runs through the mark, Like Buddy Franklin a few weeks ago, and the umpire just looks at him and doesn't pay a free. I'v never seen a sport where the interpretations of the rules are so wide that it basically means anything.

The game is s**t and I hope it loses its relevancy as a sport in this country.

Nothing against Geelong, enjoy the win. But lets not pretend like any of us have any idea the majority of the time when the umpire blows the whistle what the heck decision they will come up with. And then pretend that it has no impact on the result of the game.

The 2020 GF and 2019 PF losses don't bother me much at all. If anything, throwing away the QF in both those years hurts more. Sure, it would have been amazing to win those games, but the team gave it everything they had and just came up short against a fantastic side. They could walk off the ground with their heads high. Oh, well.

For me, it's those 2017 QF, 2016 PF, 2018 EF, 2021 QF/PF losses that really sting. Those games where we were just never in the contest, we weren't ready for the intensity that the opposition hit us with and just got blown away. Those ones where you're left shaking your head and lamenting the pathetic effort that the team delivered in the biggest game for them of the year.

Hawthorn still has something about it with the rivalry though. I don't know... even though they're pretty rubbish on paper and have been for about five years, they're still ultra competitive against us and routinely knock us off.

You had a really good opportunity to be gracious to him after he wrote all that and yet you focused on a couple of points of difference in a very dismissive manner.

You had a really good opportunity to be gracious to him after he wrote all that and yet you focused on a couple of points of difference in a very dismissive manner.

Sorry for not having hours to write a considered reply to every single point and actually going to the lengths of offering a considered and thought out reply to one of the main points he made. I didn’t realise that being gracious included addressing every topic raised in every interaction.

Not exactly tantamount to the sort of classless abuse, excuse making and vitriol spewed forth by the Tigers majority on Saturday now is it?

The incident is what it is … that will be sorted out …. I’d like to comment on the actually game and it’s intensity…. I’ve not been so pumped during a home and away game as I was on the weekend …, that match had everything ….. if we happen to make the finals a rematch with the cats will be electric …. Saturday was as close as you could get to finals football

Sorry for not having hours to write a considered reply to every single point and actually going to the lengths of offering a considered and thought out reply to one of the main points he made. I didn’t realise that being gracious included addressing every topic raised in every interaction.

Not exactly tantamount to the sort of classless abuse, excuse making and vitriol spewed forth by the Tigers majority on Saturday now is it?
Well, you did say you expect grace or graciousness from others. A fair bit of what you contribute is antagonistic. Passive antagonism. Re your last paragraph above.

In relation to your reply to the said poster, a show of grace does not include an exhaustive response. You could have have simply said "fair points mate and you are entitled to your take on things."

As for the game, Geelong showed enormous capacity to arrest the momentum in that last qtr and get the job done. Very impressive.

Well, you did say you expect grace or graciousness from others. A fair bit of what you contribute is antagonistic. Passive antagonism. Re your last paragraph above.

In relation to your reply to the said poster, a show of grace does not include an exhaustive response. You could have have simply said "fair points mate and you are entitled to your take on things."

As for the game, Geelong showed enormous capacity to arrest the momentum in that last qtr and get the job done. Very impressive.

Yes, in other words an ability to not make bullshit excuses and attribute every single thing that went against Richmond to a conspiracy.

Not giving a novel length reply to a post but still acknowledging it and raising a considered thoughtful response to one aspect of it, is slightly different to ‘Selwood is a dog, Stewart is a sniper, that was pre-planned, Brad Scott will get Stewart off, Umpires are in their pockets, we win when it counts’ and assorted other boobery that we saw in the aftermath of Saturday.

Back