Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 15 - Demons v Lions Thurs June 23rd 7:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 24 32.4%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • Demons by a lot

• Lions by a lot

Votes: 11 14.9%
  • Draw

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Genuine question – Brisbane have a handful of excellent 1:1 defenders in Andrews, Adams, Starcevich, yet are so easy to score against. Is the midfield not running both ways to blame?

BringFevBack2021

Norm Smith Medallist
May 9, 2021
AFL Club
Carlton
How can anyone be critical of Lever for being a better player with May in the side? Obviously he’s going to be better with the preferred system in defence executed as they’ve practiced all pre-season.

Brisbane are only written off from Melbournes lofty heights, not the nuffy team you support.

Big props to the Dees. A real 'mature' response to a rough few weeks, it's what the historical best sides are capable of doing. Well done.

Not much to say about the Lions. It's easy to say "pretenders" etc because of poor finals performances in recent years, we just don't have the credits in the bank to escape criticism and rightfully so. Is our best good enough to contest? Absolutely. Do we bring it out enough in tough games? Absolutely not.

Still, history suggests that good teams can have some rather obscure losses and still find results at the pointy end of the year. We'll see what happens.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
How was Ben Brown getting outmarked about 67 times tonight. it's got to be some sort of afl record. lol

Hawksboy72

Club Legend
Sep 20, 2016
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool, Red Sox, Philly Eagles
Genuine question – Brisbane have a handful of excellent 1:1 defenders in Andrews, Adams, Starcevich, yet are so easy to score against. Is the midfield not running both ways to blame?
I dont think Brisbane bat deep enough.
Can't see Daniher, Hipwood & McStay taking them to a flag.
They lack a genuine match winner.

Bald

Premium Gold
Apr 5, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
To put it frankly, their midfield is just not very good and looks even worse when Neale is tagged out and Zac Bailey doesn't play.

Feb 4, 2001
East Burwood
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Arsenal
Rent free in your head though.
I hope enjoyed his bath
Aww Bathing GIF

To put it frankly, their midfield is just not very good and looks even worse when Neale is tagged out and Zac Bailey doesn't play.
I know it isn't ideal to rely on a kid but Will Ashcroft would be a literal god send to help reshape the future of our midfield and keep us in contention with the next crop of younger talent emerging.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
Big props to the Dees. A real 'mature' response to a rough few weeks, it's what the historical best sides are capable of doing. Well done.

Not much to say about the Lions. It's easy to say "pretenders" etc because of poor finals performances in recent years, we just don't have the credits in the bank to escape criticism and rightfully so. Is our best good enough to contest? Absolutely. Do we bring it out enough in tough games? Absolutely not.

Still, history suggests that good teams can have some rather obscure losses and still find results at the pointy end of the year. We'll see what happens.
Thanks mate. if you guys had've kicked straight early it would've changed the context of the game. Nothing changes for you guys. Finish top 2 and you'll GABBA your way to a granny.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

Yeah I think so. Once the ball leaves the immediate area of the centre bounce, our midfielders don't run hard enough defensively to put pressure on the ball exiting the contest. Lyons is often mentioned as a major culprit on our board (has good tackle numbers cause he will tackle when the ball is in tight, but once it leaves he's essentially out of the play defensively).

I think there was a down the ground view of the goal that Harmes kicked out of the bounce where all three Brisbane midfielders are behind where their opponents were at the centre bounce.

EDIT:

Screenshot 2022-06-23 222503.png

Fitzey

Painting The Town Red
Jun 2, 2011
Tas
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Gold City Royals
How was Ben Brown getting outmarked about 67 times tonight. it's got to be some sort of afl record. lol
Not sure what your hatrid is with him? Played a solid game, he didn’t need to kick a bag and brought the ball to ground. He’s never been a contested marker you should know that.

Thanks mate. if you guys had've kicked straight early it would've changed the context of the game. Nothing changes for you guys. Finish top 2 and you'll GABBA your way to a granny.
FWIW if I was a betting man I would have taken the 40+ line on Melbourne tonight, that's how I viewed the matchup and I think the bookies were on the money with their $2.4 or $2.5 call. I'd also say it's looking more like that it'll be Melbourne/Freo 1/2 and GF matchup to boot.

We just plain suck in Melbourne, especially the MCG (8 years now and counting). Up against the reigning premiers fresh off a few bad losses. It was the perfect recipe for disaster. But as I said on the Lions board, I think we'll actually benefit more from the belting than if we had of kicked straight earlier and forced a close game. We've had some real shaky results the last few weeks and escaped criticism.

Now we need to go back to the drawing board and respond in a Melbourne fashion next week.

Apr 29, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
FWIW if I was a betting man I would have taken the 40+ line on Melbourne tonight, that's how I viewed the matchup and I think the bookies were on the money with their $2.4 or $2.5 call. I'd also say it's looking more like that it'll be Melbourne/Freo 1/2 and GF matchup to boot.

We just plain suck in Melbourne, especially the MCG (8 years now and counting). Up against the reigning premiers fresh off a few bad losses. It was the perfect recipe for disaster. But as I said on the Lions board, I think we'll actually benefit more from the belting than if we had of kicked straight earlier and forced a close game. We've had some real shaky results the last few weeks and escaped criticism.

Now we need to go back to the drawing board and respond in a Melbourne fashion next week.
I think you were just stiff that we played well tonight. The last few weeks against Sydney, Frem and Collingwood we have played so far beneath our best that we were almost unrecognisable. It was looking like the same in the first quarter but we were lucky you guys didn't hurt us.

I think you were just stiff that we played well tonight. The last few weeks against Sydney, Frem and Collingwood we have played so far beneath our best that we were almost unrecognisable. It was looking like the same in the first quarter but we were lucky you guys didn't hurt us.
I appreciate the sentiment but if we are to be contending, we need to be capable of dealing with your best and not hoping you have an off-night. Which I think we showed last year we can match for a bit of time but not 4 quarters. Tonight was 1 quarter unfortunately.

TaylorMade

All Australian
Aug 27, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Its a b- grade midfield. We look awesome against s**t teams due to our fwd potency and strong backline but against the best we get out played through the middle.

There has been a trend this year where once neale is tagged we fall away - imo our biggest need is a big bodied mid who can win the ball.

You also make a good point on the 2 way running, our midfield looks pedestrian once they aren't winning the ball.

Back