Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 15 - Pies v Giants Sun June 26th 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Giants by a goal or less

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Giants by 7 - 20

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Giants by a lot

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Looks we’ll be seeing a lot more play ons then because majority of players lining up for goal do that.
Most disguise time wasting by pulling up sock or whatever, SB took the p!ss and just stood there pointing at the clock and telling the ump what he thought the rules are, the ump quite rightly told him how it really is

"This rule was introduced in 2006; prior to 2006, players had no formal limit on how long they could take (the umpire could at his discretion penalise the player for time-wasting, but this was rare)"
You need to improve your reading comprehension - it says “could” not “can”, it’s a past tense term and references a time prior to 2006, prior to the 30 second shot clock rule.

How about for a 10m kick? Or 15m or 20m? It's dumb subjectivity like this that makes AFL umpiring so bad. If you have 30 seconds then you have 30 seconds regardless of circumstances.
As I've already posted twice ont he previous page:

"This rule was introduced in 2006; prior to 2006, players had no formal limit on how long they could take (the umpire could at his discretion penalise the player for time-wasting, but this was rare)"

Marchbank has had a wretched run with injuries and no player deserves to go through what he has.

I just didn’t agree with you with the comparison (Marchbank says hi) as if you’re comparing the two. I rate Elliott a lot higher than Marchbank - I wasn’t trying to troll you by saying that.

Okay fair enough, might have overreacted on my behalf. Hope Elliott can hopefully stay injury free for the majority of thebl rest of his career. Fun player to watch

You need to improve your reading comprehension - it says “could” not “can”, it’s a past tense term and references a time prior to 2006, prior to the 30 second shot clock rule.
How's this for reading comprehension?

"Players are given up to thirty seconds to begin their approach for a set shot"

Players are given 'UP' to 30 seconds, not they 'GET' if you want to nit-pick.

Okay fair enough, might have overreacted on my behalf. Hope Elliott can hopefully stay injury free for the majority of thebl rest of his career. Fun player to watch
Marchbank should hopefully still have a long career ahead of him, being only 25. Elliott’s is well and truly winding down and his body has copped an absolute shellacking. Unfortunately his best is now behind him but he still reinvents himself and performs.

Wasn't it because Fev spent 2 minutes retying his shoelaces and pulling up his socks for every set shot?

Most disguise time wasting by pulling up sock or whatever, SB took the p!ss and just stood there pointing at the clock and telling the ump what he thought the rules are, the ump quite rightly told him how it really is
I reckon when they’re 55 out and unrealistically pretending to take a shot is far worse and umps don’t call those play on. Just my thoughts. Not saying what Sidey did was right/wrong.

How's this for reading comprehension?

"Players are given up to thirty seconds to begin their approach for a set shot"

Players are given 'UP' to 30 seconds, not they 'GET' if you want to nit-pick.
Yes I saw that, AFL rules washed in grey as usual. Carry on.

I reckon when they’re 55 out and unrealistically pretending to take a shot is far worse and umps don’t call those play on. Just my thoughts. Not saying what Sidey did was right/wrong.
Like all AFL rules, there needs to be black & white to ensure consistency. Should only get the full 30 if marked inside 50, imo and not given it the kick is from the top of the square.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes I saw that, AFL rules washed in grey as usual. Carry on.
Actually, I found clarification in an article from 2017 regarding this:

"However, AFL general manager of football Simon Lethlean said umpires, if they desire, have the power to call play on if the player taking a set shot is trying to delay the game and run down the clock.

This means an umpire can blow his whistle before the 30 seconds are up."

I reckon the commentators are as much to blame, because they seem oblivious to the rules themselves and the average punter doesn't know them anyway, hence even more confusion.

"However, AFL general manager of football Simon Lethlean said umpires, if they desire, have the power to call play on if the player taking a set shot is trying to delay the game and run down the clock.

I reckon the commentators are as much to blame, because they seem oblivious to the rules themselves and the average punter doesn't know them anyway, hence even more confusion.
The most bizarre part of it all was BT understood!

Yeah fair enough, I must admit I’ve never ran through the rules myself and studied each interpretation, I take my understandings off of the common interpretation of the rule/as you said - what the media seems the correct interpretation to be.

In that case, great interpretation by the umpire, and I apologise

Yeah fair enough, I must admit I’ve never ran through the rules myself and studied each interpretation, I take my understandings off of the common interpretation of the rule/as you said - what the media seems the correct interpretation to be.

In that case, great interpretation by the umpire, and I apologise
I'm not the ump, no apology needed ;)

People that whinge about Ginnivan should watch how McCreery tackles. Rarely, if ever, tackles high. Probably our best tackler at the club, if not one of the best in the comp. Loves the tough stuff.
Helps that he's strong as an ox (130kg bench press or something) It's really hard to tackle players that are strong in the core and mobile in the hips without the upper body strength to match them.

Back