Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 20 - Freo v Demons Fri July 29th 8:10pm EST/ 6:10pm WST (OS)

Who will win and by how much?

• Freo by a goal or less

Votes: 5 8.2%
  • Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Freo by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 34.4%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Freo by a lot

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 6 9.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Freo last night weren’t much of a measure. Too early to say you’re back.
Never said we were back, just said was the best win for the season in terms of 4 quarter effort, we won every quarter and we looked much better defensively. Still plenty of improvement in the team to get to our finals form from last year but last night looked to be a step in the right direction. Keeping a team under 40 and scoring 85 is a pretty good result. I think you're underselling freo as well, yeah they're down on form but they're still a top 8 side and have played some good footy over the year.

Nah, Libbers got dark curly hair and a mo. You did mention the best inside player didn’t you?
Oliver’s a floppy haired diver.
Your players get an absolute pass for staging and your coach jumps up and down the minute the head high rule is conjectured by the AFL. Is there any surprise that the most outspoken coaches of the AFL cracking down were Beverage and McCrae?

Don’t get me wrong, Oliver is a superstar, and I love watching him play. Ginnivan isn’t fit to tie Oliver’s shoelace.

It’s true though that he does flop often to win a free (something I’m actually fine with if the umpire is gullible to pay it). My qualm is the way the media bash on about Ginnivan yet no one batters an eyelid when Oliver does those acts to also get cheapies. Double standards or media just like to harp on about Ginnivan and the whole head high flavour of the year BS.
Probably because Oliver wins his own ball and the reason he would flop is because he isn’t getting a free for a legitimate hold. Which is what he did last night. He literally gets held at most contests, or did last night. The umpires are that dumb that they’ll pay him a free if he stages a bit, yet overlook him getting held?

Illogical.

I think it highlights the media's incompetence more than anything else.
Exactly right. Like I said, nothing wrong with what Oliver did. Earlier in the night a Freo player close to their goal square flopped for a free in an attempt to get a HTM free. It happens often but doesn’t get spoken about.

Then why do you have like four threads on the first page of your team board about us lol?
You know more about our board than I do. How many times a day you checking in now?

Exactly right. Like I said, nothing wrong with what Oliver did. Earlier in the night a Freo player close to their goal square flopped for a free in an attempt to get a HTM free. It happens often but doesn’t get spoken about.
The disappointing thing is this was supposed to be ironed out by the AFL, yet they’ve simply just let it happen. It causes so much consternation and confusion. Just ban diving, flopping etc and move on. It’ll automatically stop because players aren’t rewarded yet it turns the game to absolute s**t.

Probably because Oliver wins his own ball and the reason he would flop is because he isn’t getting a free for a legitimate hold. Which is what he did last night. He literally gets held at most contests, or did last night. The umpires are that dumb that they’ll pay him a free if he stages a bit, yet overlook him getting held?

Illogical.
I’m not talking about whether he is held in contests, I’m simply comparing his actions when the opposition have a free and he gets bumped, he flops. I don’t think he does it because he isn’t getting frees in other instances. You’re probably seeing it and arguing it here as a form of evening up for the missed ones.

Again, no issues with Oliver’s game from my end. He is this year’s Brownlow medalist in my books.

I agree it is getting out of hand and a sad reflection of having 24 hours sports media.

Oliver have clearly milked for frees but so has Joel Selwood, Dangerfield and many others.

The disappointing thing is this was supposed to be ironed out by the AFL, yet they’ve simply just let it happen. It causes so much consternation and confusion. Just ban diving, flopping etc and move on. It’ll automatically stop because players aren’t rewarded yet it turns the game to absolute s**t.
There’s nothing wrong with it all. It’s part of the theatrics of the game. It’s a game at the end of the day. Umpires just need to be better at seeing the BS.

Then why do you have like four threads on the first page of your team board about us lol?
You still dark about shitting the bed in the GF last year? This is a game day thread and you’re paying out on Melbourne. Just head to your board FFS and save yourself the embarrassment of bagging us after a good win. The worst thing to happen was you getting gifted a GF for sympathy and then your coach justifying your soft player behaviour for the next 6 years, all while your fans on here try and defend the duck and dive tactics that literally everyone points out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There’s nothing wrong with it all. It’s part of the theatrics of the game. It’s a game at the end of the day. Umpires just need to be better at seeing the BS.
No mate. It isn’t. Umpires can’t keep up with it because they’re not professional enough. The AFL would rather spend money on promoting punting revenue than invest in full time umpires and rules that stop this. I’ve said it before, someone will lose a GF because of a very very weak umpiring call due to a head duck.

I’m not talking about whether he is held in contests, I’m simply comparing his actions when the opposition have a free and he gets bumped, he flops. I don’t think he does it because he isn’t getting frees in other instances. You’re probably seeing it and arguing it here as a form of evening up for the missed ones.

Again, no issues with Oliver’s game from my end. He is this year’s Brownlow medalist in my books.
He was very annoyed at being held, very. I think he tries to get them anyway he can sometimes. The difference between him and blokes like Weightman and Ginnivan is that he doesn’t duck his head, he might flop, but his attack is second to none.

you’re a moron…an unmitigated arse hat.

you think Frederick had a better game. There’s no helping you.
I was watching Andy B pretty closely as the guy I was playing in my DT league had him. For an inside contested player he looked like he decided that he couldn't be bothered doing that this game. Was always side on to the contest to get the easy possession. There was a reason he got 10 uncontested marks and only 7 contested possessions this game. It's because Melbourne didn't care that he got the ball where he got it. 22 of 30 were in the back half of the ground, only 3 clearances and no centre clearances. Andy B had an absolute shocker, which surprises me as he is absolute gun.

Frederick on the other hand went forward and looked dangerous every time he had the ball in his hand. Melbourne actually had to account for him. Frederick easily had the better game unless you had them in Dream Team or Supercoach.

My favourite flop last night was the one by Fritsch near the goal square. Took the ball, had 2 players coming at him so flung his head and body back looking for a high contact free. About a second later the Freo players actually got there. Quite comical. Luckily the umpires didn't fall for it.

I maintain that frederick is freos most dangerous player. tonight further confirmed that. Frederick is so much more damaging than Andy Brayshaw who gets a stack of uncontested marks in the back half.

Angus > Andrew.

Ever thought of creating a comedy show?

Don’t get me wrong, Oliver is a superstar, and I love watching him play. Ginnivan isn’t fit to tie Oliver’s shoelace.

It’s true though that he does flop often to win a free (something I’m actually fine with if the umpire is gullible to pay it). My qualm is the way the media bash on about Ginnivan yet no one batters an eyelid when Oliver does those acts to also get cheapies. Double standards or media just like to harp on about Ginnivan and the whole head high flavour of the year BS.
it's because when the hard ball is there to be one Oliver goes as hard as anyone in the comp whereas Ginnivan crumbles like a deck of cards. Oliver never avoids putting his head over it, Ginnivan on the other hand.

it's because when the hard ball is there to be one Oliver goes as hard as anyone in the comp whereas Ginnivan crumbles like a deck of cards. Oliver never avoids putting his head over it, Ginnivan on the other hand.
Do you actually see the contradiction in your post or did you miss it?

They lost to the Bulldogs by 20pts last year, then went on to win their next four before steamrolling the finals. I can’t be certain they’ll win it again but I’ve been saying for a while that I think Melbourne have been pacing themselves.
Last night was probably our first four quarter performance since the prelim, and our R20 game the week after the R19 Dogs loss last year was also our probably our first four quarter performance of 2021. Everyone who’s watched us can tell that we’ve been arsing around most of this year. To lose four games in which you’ve led by 20+ points at some stage of the first half is too big of a coincidence.

We might not win the flag, but we haven’t even come close to playing our best football so far this year.

So you do or don’t care about us? Because that many threads suggest you do.

But you do you man. You also say “we” like you had anything to do with it. You could vanish and your club would go on as if you never existed. Which would actually be nice tbh.
I care. The competition would be mush less entertaining without Footscray and Che Bevo is pure gold

Last night was probably our first four quarter performance since the prelim, and our R20 game the week after the R19 Dogs loss last year was also our probably our first four quarter performance of 2021. Everyone who’s watched us can tell that we’ve been arsing around most of this year. To lose four games in which you’ve led by 20+ points at some stage of the first half is too big of a coincidence.

We might not win the flag, but we haven’t even come close to playing our best football so far this year.

Every team in the comp can say this.

I quite like a little bit of flopping, as long as there is a degree of artistry to it, some nice theatrics, all adds a little bit to our wonderful sport.
I think the flop needs to be part if accentuating existing contact though- Brown, Oliver etc.

Not like Ginniman dropping every single time, the worst is Cody Weightman though, he'll feel some wind out there then jumping in the air like "OHHH LOOK AT ME I'VE JUST BEEN KILLED!!!" while looking at the umpires, it's just fn pathetic, it really is.

Back