Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 21 - Demons v Pies Fri Aug 5th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 15, 2009
Gippsland
AFL Club
Collingwood
Still not as big of an achievement as the biased umpiring the filth have managed to receive. The way that holding the ball doesn't apply to Collingwood and yet their oppo don't even get prior opportunity is truly astounding. And that's not even touching ducking and diving training culture that goes in there. Absolutely amazing.
What we need is you to send Oliver down to Pies training, we need to learn how to throw it, as we won't get away with holding it too much longer, it's costing the club heaps.

But then I suppose now Melbourne has their s**t together (kinda) we don't have to pay to keep them afloat, so we may be able to see finals through.

Still not as big of an achievement as the biased umpiring the filth have managed to receive. The way that holding the ball doesn't apply to Collingwood and yet their oppo don't even get prior opportunity is truly astounding. And that's not even touching ducking and diving training culture that goes in there. Absolutely amazing.
Night Trying GIF

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
I'm glad, you'll need it as theres only so long biased umpiring can do so.
Get your hand off it. Firstly, that idiot Langdon put you on the back foot before the game had even started. Despite that, you dominated the first half but couldn't put us away. Then you fell in a heap in the 2nd half under our severe tackling pressure and rebound football. Pretty simple stuff and nothing to do with the umpiring which most neutrals think was pretty good. Suck it up crybaby, you were outplayed by a better organised, more disciplined and more united team.

marcmurphy3

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 15, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Carlton
Not sure why Ed Langdon is getting bashed. Never great giving the opponent extra ammunition but he is right. Collingwood is a one trick pony. Luckily for Collingwood it is a really good trick. They did nothing last night that Melbourne wouldn't have expected. They just weren't good enough to beat them. It's not like Langdon said they were sh#t.

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing
Nothing guaranteed but we have a great finals record against the Pies: 2007, 2009, 2011 and 2020 finals victories.

Collingwood beat Geelong in the prelim in their last premiership year of 2010.

Geelong has no fear of Collingwood at the G. We have a very good record there this season including against the Pies.

May the best team win if we meet in September.
All that tells me that if we meet in finals that the winner will usually hold the cup. I'm sure we are both happy if that is the case.

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Not sure why Ed Langdon is getting bashed. Never great giving the opponent extra ammunition but he is right. Collingwood is a one trick pony. Luckily for Collingwood it is a really good trick. They did nothing last night that Melbourne wouldn't have expected. They just weren't good enough to beat them. It's not like Langdon said they were sh#t.
Certainly wouldn't discourage him from doing it again. Tell us what you really think Ed!

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
The way it played out was that the Demons played their best footy and it wasn’t good enough.

When the Pies upped the pressure in the second half and matched contested footy, the Pies stood up and won the game as Melbourne began to struggle.

Pies so much more upside. As for Melbourne, can’t see them making it.
They can’t get much more out of their best players.

99/100 the dees would win that game, we kept ourselves in it with ridiculous i50 efficiency to half time. Then as you rightly pointed out we upped the pressure which allowed us to win those clearances / contested footy.

Think you're writing off the dees a little early.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Bucks took over the best side we've had in 80 years and ran them into the ground pretty quickly. He's better in the commentators box.

Needed a winner like triple premiership player Craig McRae to show them how it's done.

When you see how many of that premiership side are doing well as coaches (senior and assistants) it's no wonder that team was as good as it was.

Jul 27, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Malthouse is their last Premiership Coach, Buckley was just an assistant and 2 time Premiership losing Captain.
St Kilda nuffs don't get to decide who our legends are sorry pal
its not whether langdon was right or wrong it was that he was stupid enough to say it. Had it shoved fair up his date in the first few seconds and at the siren.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Sadly after last night I have to agree, we don't have a talent issue but have become flat track bullies with some playing for themselves. At least Weideman tries.

Credit to Pies for not giving in but I'm hoping the Swans can go all the way as I also cannot stomach a Pies v Cats GF.

Garbage! Don't have the talent?!

Look at the numbers, 99/100 the dees win this game and comfortably. Make no mistake this game is an anomaly.

The only reason we won was coz we kept ourselves in it with ridiculous i50 efficiency to the half and then upped the pressure in the 2nd to even up the clearances / conteste possies.

You're talking about probably the most talented 22 at the minute.

Spook

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 19, 2003
Top of the pile looking down
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Claremont
It was really a tale of 2 halves. Melbourne didn't take there chances when they dominated early. In the end Collingwood were better after half time and the numbers show that.

It was just under 50 tackles to about 15 after half time. Collingwood finished with 100+ less disposals but 16 more kicks. I think when you have over 200 handballs your playing under a lot of pressure and ain't doing a lot of damage withe that possession more times than not.

As for forward 50 free kicks. When you lay 18 F50 tackles to 8 you are probably more likely than the opposition to get a free kick for holding the ball.
Great summary mate. 👍👍

Dec 9, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Needed a winner like triple premiership player Craig McRae to show them how it's done.

When you see how many of that premiership side are doing well as coaches (senior and assistants) it's no wonder that team was as good as it was.
I think the last ex-Collingwood player to coach a premiership team at any club was Phonse Kyne in 1958

Raymond Rougeau

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2011
Quebec, Canada
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Ac Milan
So just to be clear:

*We haven't beaten anyone
*We're s**t
*We're lucky
*Umps
*See point 2
Never change BF

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Pleasedontfail11

Premiership Player
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
F1 racing
Bucks took over the best side we've had in 80 years and ran them into the ground pretty quickly. He's better in the commentators box.
Agree he lost Beams, Shaw, OBrien and Daisy to name a few and killed our premiership side. He then took the team one kick from a premiership. But that wasn't my point. My point was that Buckley joining the Team in 2010 as an assistant was one of the major catalysts that got the Pies a premiership in 2010 because it fired up the team to play for Malthouse who was well loved. If Bucks was a truly smart man he should have let Malthouse coach for a few more years after 2011 it would have won him the love of all of those players he pissed off and given us a shot for a few more years in the early 2010's.

May 26, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
And used our brains more, when we kicked into our forward line we kept it away from May and Lever.

I think Collingwood has their forward line structure close to ideal at the moment. 2 leading forwards, resting 2nd ruck and 4 small/medium forwards with someone like De Goey that can have an impact in the midfield.

Back