Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 21 - Demons v Pies Fri Aug 5th 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 21 21.4%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 16 16.3%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 8 8.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

You're talking about probably the most talented 22 at the minute.
It's a close comp. On paper we're pretty good but we've got a lot to work on. Hopefully the players and coaches can learn a bit from last night's loss, though it's not the first time we've dominated clearances and lost the game.

Not sure why Ed Langdon is getting bashed. Never great giving the opponent extra ammunition but he is right. Collingwood is a one trick pony. Luckily for Collingwood it is a really good trick. They did nothing last night that Melbourne wouldn't have expected. They just weren't good enough to beat them. It's not like Langdon said they were sh#t.
So what is this one trick?

Is it one of the following tricks?
  • Scoring from turnover
  • i50 efficiency
  • Using fast flowing through the corridor
  • Knowing when to tempo the game like avoiding the corridor when the oppo is set up behind the ball
  • Closing space on the oppo without ball and also holding shape outside the contest to allow transition on the ball win (two tricks there)
  • Setting up behind the ball to force the oppo to kick down the line
So which trick is the one trick we use?

Maybe a contending team can dismantle this one trick team, oh I dunno maybe a dockers, dees or blose y'know a real team. Oh wait!

Last edited:

It's a close comp. On paper we're pretty good but we've got a lot to work on. Hopefully the players and coaches can learn a bit from last night's loss, though it's not the first time we've dominated clearances and lost the game.

You're a team in good form, ok not at optimum but certainly not poor, make no mistake 99/100 the dees win that game - comfortably!

We were just able to keep ourselves in it to the half with absurd i50 efficiency. Then upped the pressure to even up clearances / contested possie in the 2nd half.

Writing off the dees like the post I replied to is folly.

• Scoring from turnover
  • i50 efficiency
  • Knowing when to tempo the game like avoiding the corridor when the oppo is set up behind the ball
  • Closing space on the oppo without ball and also holding shape outside the contest to allow transition on the ball win (two tricks there)

Maybe a contending team can dismantle this one trick team, oh I dunno maybe a dockers, dees or freo y'know a real team. Oh wait!
Our one trick is out scoring our opponents. It's a pretty cool trick.

We look best when we are running the ball in, a few more centre clearances wouldn't go astray.

Agreed. I do think your money is better spent elsewhere than McStay though (unless you think you can turn him into a defender, which he's been below average to average at in the past).

Mihocek, Johnson and McStay seems a bit tall, unless Grundy comes back in the side and rucks all game.

• Scoring from turnover
  • i50 efficiency

Maybe a contending team can dismantle this one trick team, oh I dunno maybe a dockers, dees or freo y'know a real team. Oh wait!
good post! looking fwd to his answer but suspect it will be squibbed :)

Agreed. I do think your money is better spent elsewhere than McStay though (unless you think you can turn him into a defender, which he's been below average to average at in the past).

Mihocek, Johnson and McStay seems a bit tall, unless Grundy comes back in the side and rucks all game.
I have no idea if they are after him or not, many players get linked to Collingwood, sells papers, so take it with a grain of salt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

West Cost won against us, therefore they are a top 4 team and a premiership chance.

Asinine logic huh?
But if you lost to your bogey team West Coast and Melbourne lost to their bogey team Collingwood, hold on. No, wait. Collingwood for the flag, forget everything I have said. McCrea for Prime Minister and Ginnivan for world toughest guy.

This is a great thread, I’m gonna move it to autopsies so please keep decent discussion going and just report any obvious trolls or people who just wanna mess s**t up.

Such a good game, congrats Pies!

99/100 the dees would win that game, we kept ourselves in it with ridiculous i50 efficiency to half time. Then as you rightly pointed out we upped the pressure which allowed us to win those clearances / contested footy.

Think you're writing off the dees a little early.
Why would they win that game 99/100? They didn't. When the pressure was on in the last, they struggled.
Pies were more composed when they needed to be in the end.

Sorry just to be clear, You're saying Cox is superior to Grundy?

In what world world would that be?

I understand it’s become a bit of a pile on from the wilfully naive and antagonistic trolls to bag Grundy. But he is still in the top few rucks in the comp when playing.

Ironically his dominant skillsets suit our current game style even more so now. Much more than the dour defensive style we played in the last handful of years. You know the ones where he had been named a dual All Australian.

Last edited:
That would've been a great game for the neutral fans.

Great win by the Pies, they are in this up to their necks. I thought they would crumble but they just keep finding ways to win. I knew they'd be in the mix for finals but never dreamt they'd be looking at a top 4 finish! They have the experience and class to win the flag. I hope we get another crack at them in September.

"I hate you bastards, but by God I admire you"

The way it played out was that the Demons played their best footy and it wasn’t good enough.

When the Pies upped the pressure in the second half and matched contested footy, the Pies stood up and won the game as Melbourne began to struggle.

Pies so much more upside. As for Melbourne, can’t see them making it.
They can’t get much more out of their best players.

We played well in the middle but didn't capitalise our dominance. Meanwhile the Pies kicked a goal every 2nd time they went forward in the 1st half.

Start of 3rd quarter Melbourne had the footy in our forward half for 8 minutes for no reward. Pies take it straight down and kick a goal - that was the story of the match.

We have serious forward line issues but if we start using free options like Pickett and Spargo instead of going long to the pocket to a double/triple teamed Brown/Fritsch we may be able rectify it. Not sure that will happen 2 weeks out from finals though.

Was a fair win. What the Pies and Cats are doing is being consistent. No other teams are doing that.

Melbourne were way off their best though. Collingwood were not.
Oliver 42 + 14 clearances
Petracca 36 + goal
Gawn 32 + 10 marks
Viney 30 + goal
Brayshaw 32

41 inside 50’s in first half. Won clearances by 20. Won centre clearances by 14. Won inside 50’s by 24.

Please elaborate as to how much better Melbourne can play. They were absolutely outstanding and it still wasn’t enough on the night. The Magpies have personnel to return too, Melbourne don’t.

The result makes it 6 wins out of 7 against Melb for Collingwood.

Oliver 42 + 14 clearances
Petracca 36 + goal
Gawn 32 + 10 marks
Viney 30 + goal
Brayshaw 32

41 inside 50’s in first half. Won clearances by 20. Won centre clearances by 14. Won inside 50’s by 24.

Please elaborate as to how much better Melbourne can play. They were absolutely outstanding and it still wasn’t enough on the night. The Magpies have personnel to return too, Melbourne don’t.

They missed U14 level kicks at goal all night. Pies barely missed.

Back