Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 21 - Lions v Blues Sun Aug 7th 3:20pm EST (Gabba)

Who will win and by how much?

• Lions by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Lions by 7 - 20

Votes: 14 21.5%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 10 15.4%
  • Lions by a lot

Votes: 34 52.3%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Draw

Votes: 1 1.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

EBCFE815-F58F-4F5A-85F0-35AB562B80A3.png

5TH V 7TH

AFL 2022 PREMIERSHIP SEASON ROUND 21
BRISBANE V CARLTON
SUNDAY AUGUST 7TH 3:20PM EST (GABBA)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE 2022 BIGFOOTY OFFICIAL TIPPING COMP!

C4C09479-AA41-4EFA-A0A9-D0A4F59D5D60.png
TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place
Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

TEAMS

LIONS

B: Gardiner, Adams, Rich
HB: Starcevich, Andrews, Coleman
C: Bailey, Zorko, McCluggage
HF: Rayner, Hipwood, McCarthy
F: McStay, Daniher, Cameron
FOL: McInerney, Neale, Berry

I/C (from): Lohmann, Ah Chee, Robinson, Lyons, Prior, Fort, Mathieson, Answerth

IN: Rich, Starcevich, Lohmann, Prior
OUT: Cockatoo (omitted)

BLUES
B: Saad, Le.Young, Docherty
HB: Marchbank, Weitering, McGovern
C: Cottrell, Cripps, Cerra
HF: O’Brien, McKay, Owies
F: Motlop, Curnow, Silvagni
FOL: Pittonet, Walsh, Fisher

I/C (from): Martin, Setterfield, Durdin, De Koning, Dow, Fogarty, Kemp, Newnes

IN: Marchbank, Martin, Fogarty, Dow, Kemp, Newnes
OUT: Kennedy, Newman (both injured), Plowman (omitted)

⬇️ Links to the Club Board tipping comps ⬇️

Adam Saad – 150 AFL games

Carlton defender Adam Saad will play his 150th game tonight at The Gabba. Saad debuted for Gold Coast in Round 1, 2015 and played 48 games over three years before requesting a trade to Essendon. Saad joined Essendon for the 2018 season and only missed one game in his three years there before moving to Carlton ahead of the 2021 season. He has been a key pillar in defence since joining the Blues and is now forever apart of Carlton folklore with Ang Christou passing down the ‘woof’ cry whenever he launches a left-foot kick.

Caleb Marchbank – 50 AFL games

Carlton defender Caleb Marchbank re-joins the senior side today for his 50th AFL game. He played his 49th AFL game in Round 13 against Essendon and returns today after strong performances at VFL level.

Jack Newnes – 50 Carlton games

Carlton midfielder Jack Newnes will play his 50th game as a Blue today, and 204th AFL game in total. Newnes joined Carlton ahead of the 2020 season and has provided a valuable presence in the playing group, to now have the equal-most AFL games played at the Club alongside Ed Curnow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Goodness the Blues Lions have made life hard for themselves by losing a game they never should have lost against Adelaide Richmond.

Not sure who wins the Bradbury Cup but given it’s in Brisbane I’ll go with the Lions just.

This round has been officially been dubbed the RESET ROUND by Chris Fagan. Having recently announced a reset to ‘prove the doubters wrong’ that lasted nine days, Fagan has indicated that that was just a “TRIAL RESET” after he received information that Richmond would be fielding close to their best team and the game was at the MCG. Sources close to the club indicate that the conditions were not ideal for a reset, because we were not playing a bottom four side at home. This week’s RESET ROUND is designed to prove those who doubted that the doubters who were going to be proven wrong were in fact going to be proven wrong, wrong. In the event that this RESET FAILS, people should remember that Carlton are a very good side with a lot to play for and we had a number of players who suffered bruising during the course of the game and we will be making sure we stick to the fundamentals and take learnings from our slide down the ladder.

As a special bonus to Victorian Members, Fagan and the club have announced that they will be lobbying the AFL to play no games in Victoria in 2023. The club has announced that the majority of Victorian Members have welcomed this move.

HAPPY RESET ROUND EVERYBODY!

Last edited:

Dangerousfield

Premiership Player
Oct 11, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
I so want the Blues to drop the next two games just so the R23 clash with the Pies becomes a must win for the Blues to make the finals.

Fingers crossed Brisbane play the whole game like they did in the first half against Richmond.

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
This round has been officially been dubbed the RESET ROUND by Chris Fagan. Having recently announced a reset to ‘prove the doubters wrong’ that lasted nine days, Fagan has indicated that that was just a “TRIAL RESET” after he received information that Richmond would be fielding close to their best team and the game was at the MCG. Sources close to the club indicate that the conditions were not ideal for a reset, because we were not playing a bottom four side at home. This week’s RESET ROUND is designed to prove those who doubted that the doubters who were going to be proven wrong were in fact going to be proven wrong, wrong. In the event that this RESET FAILS, people should remember that Carlton are a very good side with a lot to play for and we had a number of players who suffered bruising during the course of the game and we will be making sure we stick to the fundamentals and take learnings from our slide down the ladder.

As a special bonus to Victorian Members, Fagan and the club have announced that they will be lobbying the AFL to play no games in Victoria in 2023. The club has announced that the majority of Victorian Members have welcomed this move.

HAPPY RESET ROUND EVERYBODY!

What were your posts like back when Leppitsch was coach?

Or were you not quite old enough to be 'old man yells at cloud' back then?

I was harsher on Leppitsch, but I wonder how he would have gone with Fagan’s list.
Fagan has done an amazing job, but the question is, are his fortunes waning and I think the answer is yes. He has consistently failed to get the team up for big ‘character test’ games and when you factor in his 1-5 finals record, it speaks volumes. The straw that broke the camel’s back was when we were humbled by Melbourne. Poor team selection and post game “mulligans” were indicative of a coach who has drunk too much of his own bathwater. Refusing to play in-form reserves players with senior experience, while sticking with his ineffective “pets” is another major failing. Fagan’s failings are so transparent that once Fort was named as Medi-Sub against Richmond and the team was finalised, many people, me included, were not only saying we would lose to the 10th placed team, but accurately indicating how contests like Adams v Riewoldt would play out. The way we lost was just an additional indication that Fagan is not a good ‘game day’ coach. Hardwick denied Brisbane the corridor and that was it. Where was Fagan’s plan B and where was his ability to keep the players on task?
Don’t forget, it was Fagan who was trumpeting the reset and it was Fagan who was going to prove the doubters wrong. I would LOVE to be proven wrong this year. Over to you Fages.

Last edited:

BangyBangy

BangyBangyMightyLoins
Oct 16, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I was harsher on Leppitsch, but I wonder how he would have gone with Fagan’s list.
Fagan has done an amazing job, but the question is, are his fortunes waning and I think the answer is yes. He has consistently failed to get the team up for big ‘character test’ games and when you factor in his 1-5 finals record, it speaks volumes. The straw that broke the camel’s back was when we were humbled by Melbourne. Poor team selection and post game “milligans” were indicative of a coach who has drunk too much of his own bathwater. Refusing to play in-form reserves players with senior experience, while sticking with his failing “pets” is another major failing. Fagan’s failings are so transparent that once Fort was named as Medi-Sub against Richmond and the team was finalised, many people, me included, were not only saying we would lose to the 10th placed team, but accurately indicating how contests like Adams v Riewoldt would play out. The way we lost was just an additional indication that Fagan is not a good ‘game day’ coach. Hardwick denied Brisbane the corridor and that was it. Where was Fagan’s plan B and where was his ability to keep the players on task?
Don’t forget, it was Fagan who was trumpeting the reset and it was Fagan who was going to prove the doubters wrong. I would LOVE to be proven wrong this year. Over to you Fages.

Probably would've had half of them up against the wall by their throats after that 2nd half display ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cripps 'n' Blue Bloods

Sir Cripps of Carlton House
Mar 26, 2015
Bendigo
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Melbourne Tigers, Bendigo Braves, OKC
If Lions can´t win this at home then it´s season done.
They lost at home to the Dons only 4 weeks ago.

Really not a lot in both of these sides at the moment.

Both teams are 5-5 in their last ten.
Carlton - WLWLWLWLWL (2-3 away - 3-2 at home, 2 of the away losses at MCG against Pies/Tigers, one away win at MCG against Dons, one home loss at Marvel against Saints. All of those are pretty much neutral venues with no real home/away advantage/disadvantage)
Lions - LWLWLWLWWL (1-4 away - 4-1 at home, the home loss coming from the Dons)

The wins:
Blues - Swans, Dons, Freo, Eagles, GWS (ave margin = 34.2)
Lions - GWS, Saints, Dogs, GWS, Suns (ave margin = 26.6)

The losses:
Blues - Pies, Tigers, Saints, Cats, Crows (ave margin= 18.6)
Lions - Hawks, Freo Dees, Dons, Tigers (ave margin = 20)

Blues are a bit more even when it comes to performing at home or away, but 4 games have been at the MCG/Marvel against co-tenants and are fairly neutral in terms of home ground advantage.
Lions are obviously very strong at home and very poor on the road, but the loss to the Dons in round 17 shows that they aren't unbeatable at home.
Blues haven't lost 2 games in a row all year. Neither have the Lions.

Blues haven't conceded 100+ points all year and have reached the mark themselves 7 times (all wins obviously).
Lions have conceded 100+ points 4 times (all losses) and have reached the mark 9 times (one of those being a loss).

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG

Probably a little harsh, nothing new for a coach to be criticized.
I'm not saying this side is even close but there were even calls for Lethal to be sacked in 2000

Probably a little harsh, nothing new for a coach to be criticized.
I'm not saying this side is even close but there were even calls for Lethal to be sacked in 2000
Not only that but we weren't exactly flush hot until after mid-way through 2001.

I still remember going to the Carlton game at Princes Park in 2001 and we got belted beyond belief, would never have imagined what was to unfold after that.

Dec 7, 2007
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Rabbitohs, Villa, McLaren F1, ENG
Not only that but we weren't exactly flush hot until after mid-way through 2001.

I still remember going to the Carlton game at Princes Park in 2001 and we got belted beyond belief, would never have imagined what was to unfold after that.
Fitzroy Team of the Century was announced that day too. One of the most insipid performances I can remember

Back