Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 22 - Suns v Cats Sat August 13th 4:35pm EST (Metricon)

Who will win and by how much?

• Suns by a goal or less

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • Suns by 7 - 20

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • Suns by a lot

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 10 40.0%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

That can happen when a team keeps topping up.

14 of their best 22 are 30+ next year. Most of them will likely retire within 2 years. When you have that many old farts, it eventually does hit.

The same thing was going to happen to them in 2015, but they got Dangerfield and proceeded to keep topping up. There are no more Dangerfields ready to go to Geelong for Dean Gore.

So even though we are a year younger than we were when you beat us in the grand final on average, and we’ve been topping up for 12 seasons (a statement that interestingly ignores the volume of players we have simply plucked from nowhere and developed into good players), NOW is when we are in for pain.

It’s funny that any time the cats and their fans get a bit of hope of ‘ok we are in the mix this year’ all the nay sayers, with plenty of justification mind you, fire back with ‘yeah but we all know what’s going to happen because we’ve seen it for 10 years.’

Yet you’ve also seen us avoid becoming a basket case for 10 years but somehow ‘next year will always be the year.’

The point is not to get carried away. It's getting really boring seeing plonkers like yourself hype your team up on the back of easy wins against rabble.

You should've lost to Richmond, but you sniped Prestia out of the game.

Plonker?
Interesting.

I haven’t hyped us up at all. I don’t know if we will win the comp. What I do know is that a team shouldn’t be criticised for winning, same as Collingwood shouldn’t.

I sniped who out of what now?

Sorry how did I do that?

Who knows, maybe if Prestia played we would have won by more.

Make more excuses mate.

So even though we are a year younger than we were when you beat us in the grand final on average, and we’ve been topping up for 12 seasons (a statement that interestingly ignores the volume of players we have simply plucked from nowhere and developed into good players), NOW is when we are in for pain.

It’s funny that any time the cats and their fans get a bit of hope of ‘ok we are in the mix this year’ all the nay sayers, with plenty of justification mind you, fire back with ‘yeah but we all know what’s going to happen because we’ve seen it for 10 years.’

Yet you’ve also seen us avoid becoming a basket case for 10 years but somehow ‘next year will always be the year.’
Nice cherry pick. You had a 36 year old Gary Ablett Jnr at the time.
Ablett and Taylor is one thing, Selwood, Hawkins, Blicavs, Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan, Smith + more is another.

Anyway the point is not to get too carried away. Most Geelong fans actually understand this, but clearly you're a bit deluded.

Nice cherry pick. You had a 36 year old Gary Ablett Jnr at the time.
Ablett and Taylor is one thing, Selwood, Hawkins, Blicavs, Guthrie, Menegola, Duncan, Smith + more is another.

Anyway the point is not to get too carried away. Most Geelong fans actually understand this, but clearly you're a bit deluded.

So losing one 36 year old should account for the 1 year reduction in average age of a 22 man squad who are all 2 years older now.

Oh yes huge cherry pick

Sorry what am I deluded about. The fact that I think there are at least 4-5 teams who can win the comp and we have no better real claim than most of them? Is that what I’m getting carried away over?

Telling you, correctly, that we can only beat who we play against? Am I deluded about that?

About our 12 years of beating the forecast ‘cliff’ - am I deluded about that? How, exactly?

If I didn’t know better I’d say you’ve just had some actual maths and factuality thrown at you and you’re mistaking it for something else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminder:

Played Collingwood once.
Played Melbourne once (Kardinia).
Played Fremantle once (Kardinia).
Played Brisbane once (Kardinia).
Played Sydney once.
Played North Melbourne twice.
Played West Coast twice.
Luckily for you Richmond only gets to lose to North once

That can happen when a team keeps topping up.

14 of their best 22 are 30+ next year. Most of them will likely retire within 2 years. When you have that many old farts, it eventually does hit.

The same thing was going to happen to them in 2015, but they got Dangerfield and proceeded to keep topping up. There are no more Dangerfields ready to go to Geelong for Dean Gore.
I see your point but they haven't been fairly consistently bottom 8 since 2000-2006 and even then they made finals in 04 and 05. They are up there with Sydney as a model for continuous improvement and rebuilding on the run. We attempted to follow this model and got a run of bad injuries and luck and form and look at the state we are in now. It's hard to make it work which makes it impressive.

I see your point but they haven't been fairly consistently bottom 8 since 2000-2006 and even then they made finals in 04 and 05. They are up there with Sydney as a model for continuous improvement and rebuilding on the run. We attempted to follow this model and got a run of bad injuries and luck and form and look at the state we are in now. It's hard to make it work which makes it impressive.
the thing Richmond fans that bring up our list age don't seem to realise is that while we have the oldest list, Richmond has the second oldest list and while still hanging in there, they are very clearly on the downward slope.

the thing Richmond fans that bring up our list age don't seem to realise is that while we have the oldest list, Richmond has the second oldest list and while still hanging in there, they are very clearly on the downward slope.
If anything you would think they would be trying to emulate you guys. But I don't blame them really was a long, long, long time between 1980 and 2017. They are bound to be up and about after 3 in the last 6 years.

Back