Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 23 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun August 21st 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll add, watching the replay the ball def landed within 5 metres of the contest.

Fine lines.

Fox Footy AFL360 awards show had all angles on the quad call tonight. Worth a look. Could have been called a block but Ginnivin not taking his eyes of the ball was why it wasn’t I recon, that’s the trigger for the umps. Brilliant work by a first year player. He only blocked by holding his ground once the ball was within 5m and Saad is the one who took his eyes of the ball to look at Ginnivin so easy to agree Saad wasn’t cntestung a mark.

Fox Footy AFL360 awards show had all angles on the quad call tonight. Worth a look. Could have been called a block but Ginnivin not taking his eyes of the ball was why it wasn’t I recon, that’s the trigger for the umps.

Yeah saw that, can't really argue for a free for Saad (congrats on his AA jacket btw - sublime player!).

Me reckons that coaching staff train players to ball watch in such situations, smart player Ginni.

Fox Footy AFL360 awards show had all angles on the quad call tonight. Worth a look. Could have been called a block but Ginnivin not taking his eyes of the ball was why it wasn’t I recon, that’s the trigger for the umps. Brilliant work by a first year player. He only blocked by holding his ground once the ball was within 5m and Saad is the one who took his eyes of the ball to look at Ginnivin so easy to agree Saad wasn’t cntestung a mark.
Dont start talking logic.

Carlton fans looking for excuses, and are narrowing in on a smart Pies forward showing fantastic game sense and nous to protect the ball drop perfectly.

One trying to argue he blocked in a marking contest, and the other just quoting slabs from the rules book not actually getting it.

Great forward play, and play on everyday of the week.

Dont start talking logic.

Carlton fans looking for excuses, and are narrowing in on a smart Pies forward showing fantastic game sense and nous to protect the ball drop perfectly.

One trying to argue he blocked in a marking contest, and the other just quoting slabs from the rules book not actually getting it.

Great forward play, and play on everyday of the week.
I was the one quoting the rules mate. And I say it wasn’t a free kick.

I was the one quoting the rules mate. And I say it wasn’t a free kick.
Agree with you.

A couple of Carlton wowsers were posting random screen shots and slabs of irrelevant components of the rule book in an inane attempt to find an excuse for another loss.

Ginny played that perfectly, a perfect example of a forward reading the flight of the ball faster than their opponent, and using their body to protect the ball drop. Something you expect from a 200 gamer, not a kid in first year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Also, the number of throws that go uncalled. My guess is it's an AFL "flow of the game" order.
It's an interesting one, I'd rather they let throws go rather than umpires guessing and calling throws when there was a legitimate handball (which I have seen happen at lower levels).

Guess that's also what they have to consider.

It's an interesting one, I'd rather they let throws go rather than umpires guessing and calling throws when there was a legitimate handball (which I have seen happen at lower levels).

Guess that's also what they have to consider.
A bigger bed bug for mine is the dropping the ball interpretation. I can’t figure out anymore when a player has committed an infringement anymore because of their inconsistency with calling dropping the ball and playing on.

A bigger bed bug for mine is the dropping the ball interpretation. I can’t figure out anymore when a player has committed an infringement anymore because of their inconsistency with calling dropping the ball and playing on.
Dropping the ball vs incorrect disposal vs prior opportunity vs "legitimate attempt". All of these different things have made it a complete cluster*, dependent on wildly different interpretations, and the umpire being in the perfect position to make the call.

Dropping the ball vs incorrect disposal vs prior opportunity vs "legitimate attempt". All of these different things have made it a complete cluster*, dependent on wildly different interpretations, and the umpire being in the perfect position to make the call.
You’re right. Dropping the ball is just one, minute aspect of it. I’m also equally confused by the other 3. Going back a few years before they changed the rules, I knew exactly what constituted as HTB. Now I’m just watching the umps to see how they go with it.

Back