Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 23 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun August 21st 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Hope this doesn’t come across as arrogant but I’d be pretty disappointed if the Pies didn’t get up.

W/L aside, feels as though we took it up to the Dees and matched them better than Carlton did, and their last 3 weeks have been as close to back to the reigning premier’s since their early season streak.

Baggers are 1 and 4 in their last 5 and have lost their last 3 games. They haven’t handled the pressure cooker of the better sides in that period.

Pies fast style should trouble the Blues and it’s their chance to lock in a top 4 spot.

All that said, it’s still a 50/50 contest because you just can’t pick it with these two, especially when they’re both producing half decent seasons.

As long as it’s a cracker, the players can’t hear the umpires because of the noise and we get a high scoring game, I’ll try and be content.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
Just offloaded a gorilla on big Mason Cox to snag the first sausage roll at 251.

Wish me luck.

Apr 18, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
PAOK of SALONIKA LIVERPOOL
It wouldn't be one of the biggest h/a games of the millennium if the umpire gave that clear free kick to Walsh mate.. in rd 11 mate.. 40 out mate.. directly in front mate.. with less than a min to go on the clock mate.. he would have snagged that sausage roll I reckon mate.

Carlton playing finals are as scarce as hen's teeth mate.. boofhead umpire might have cost yous an elimination final mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.. 😆.. forget about it.. 😆

Last edited:
It wouldn't be one of the biggest h/a games of the millennium if the umpire gave that clear free kick to Walsh mate.. in rd 11 mate.. 40 out mate.. directly in front mate.. with less than a min to go on the clock mate.. he would have snagged that sausage roll I reckon mate.

Carlton playing finals are as scarce as hen's teeth mate.. boofhead umpire might have cost yous an elimination final mate.. that's it mate.. forget about it mate.. 😆.. forget about it.. 😆
Zed's dead baby, Zed's dead.

Monco Matt

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Storm, 49ers
For Collingwood to win we need to come out on top in two areas, in my humble opinion. They both go to our weaknesses which is clearances and Key Position Forwards dominating us.

1.) Cripps and Walsh need to be controlled, no easy clearances. Tough to do. If we fail then the next area becomes harder.
2.) Curnow needs to be blanketed by Moore. Hard to do as Curnow is so quick and mobile and Moore is not known for his one-on-one defence.

How we accomplish these two things I do not know but we need to if we are to win the game.

Carlton were superb last week and showed just what they are capable of doing when they set their minds to it. It was a huge effort and you do wonder if such an effort can be replicated again the following week. It is a tough ask but they just have to if they want a shot at the title. I think they will find a way to get up again and force another heart stopper.

Which team is hungrier? Pies for top 4 or Blues for top 8? Blues should want their dinner more, logically. All the pressure is on them obviously, as it is do or die. Pies carrot is a clash with the Cats with a double-chance or a date with the Tigers in an EF. Both sound horrible!!

As much as I want us to win and make the top 4 I think the Blues will find a way and the way will be through their two key forwards.

Blues by 4 points.

May 2, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
My heart and gut cannot handle yet another season on the line clash. Every game has been consequential for the Pies throughout our winning run yet we drop one and fall out of the four and now have to win the next one to get back in. It's emotionally exhausting.
You poor thing!. It must be hard. Guaranteed finalist, win 11 in a row in a year where most pundits tipped you to finish bottom 4. Your season isn't on the line. Ours is...

MITSUHIRATO

All Australian
Jul 25, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
For Collingwood to win we need to come out on top in two areas, in my humble opinion. They both go to our weaknesses which is clearances and Key Position Forwards dominating us.

1.) Cripps and Walsh need to be controlled, no easy clearances. Tough to do. If we fail then the next area becomes harder.
2.) Curnow needs to be blanketed by Moore. Hard to do as Curnow is so quick and mobile and Moore is not known for his one-on-one defence.

How we accomplish these two things I do not know but we need to if we are to win the game.

Carlton were superb last week and showed just what they are capable of doing when they set their minds to it. It was a huge effort and you do wonder if such an effort can be replicated again the following week. It is a tough ask but they just have to if they want a shot at the title. I think they will find a way to get up again and force another heart stopper.

Which team is hungrier? Pies for top 4 or Blues for top 8? Blues should want their dinner more, logically. All the pressure is on them obviously, as it is do or die. Pies carrot is a clash with the Cats with a double-chance or a date with the Tigers in an EF. Both sound horrible!!

As much as I want us to win and make the top 4 I think the Blues will find a way and the way will be through their two key forwards.

Blues by 4 points.

Does Moore go to Curnow or McKay?

I think he's a better match up for the latter.

yeee_haaaa!!!!!

Club Legend
Aug 30, 2010
prahran
AFL Club
Collingwood
You guys have not had Grundy all season nearly and been doing well. Cameron has been immense for you.

Our outs are a bit harder to fill and when we were in flying form around the bye week at 8-2 Kennedy / Hewitt and Cerra were pivotal to us out the guts while Crippa and Walsh were allowed some freedom.

Next minute they start to drop like flies and we don’t have the midfield depth to cover them. You can replace 1 or 2 all over the place but 3 quality players all on the same line is hard not to mention Pitto only playing a couple of senior games in the last 10 weeks or so.

It is what it is though and no one can control these factors and hope we get a good game.
this idea that the pies have been fine in the ruck without grundy is a fallacy. Yes Cameron has been good around the ground, and Cox offers that unpredictable element. But the relaity is that the pies ahve been smashed at ruck contests without grundy - hit outs and clearances have been a destroyation against the pies in just about every game since grundy has been injured. Grundy at least levels the contest if he is not getting hit outs himself, without him opposition rucks have been calling the shots in this area. hopefully it has been enough to open the eyes of these elements that seem to exist at pie land that think grundy could be expendable

My Tilly

Premium Gold
Jun 30, 2018
AFL Club
Geelong
Blues will be mentally shot after last week. Pies by 60 points if DeGoey plays. By 42 if he doesn't.

I tend to agree with this.
And we often see in finals what transpires when a team plays out of their skin, progresses and then get smashed having played their grand final the week prior.

On the flip side, it didn't look like Collingwood were fully invested in that game on the weekend. Sluggish and out of sync. People now writing them off. That would be exactly what they'd like to hear.

Geez, and you only beat us by 4 and a half goals - you’d hate to face the Blues in September then.

I have no fear of playing Collingwood in finals. Langdon was bang on the money. One-trick-pony are the Pies.
Blues on the other hand, we don't match up well with at all.

You sure are up and about after Sunday. I’d never even heard of you before then 😂

Soz, I didn't know that I had to register support for my team with you.
I've been up and about since 2020, when we hardly won a game.
What's not to be up and about about? We have a cracking group of youngsters...the best one has been out-of-form most of the year.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Soz, I didn't know that I had to register support for my team with you.
I've been up and about since 2020, when we hardly won a game.
What's not to be up and about about? We have a cracking group of youngsters...the best one has been out-of-form most of the year.
Exciting times for the Swannies, no doubt. Wouldn’t mind another crack at you again in finals (at the MCG).

You guys finish top 2, you should be winning your QF and Prelim at the SCG and making a GF.

Back