Autopsy AFL 2022 Round 23 - Carlton v Collingwood Sun August 21st 3:20pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Blues by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.1%
  • Blues by 7 - 20

Votes: 39 29.5%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 37 28.0%
  • Blues by a lot

Votes: 17 12.9%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • Draw

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Exciting times for the Swannies, no doubt. Wouldn’t mind another crack at you again in finals (at the MCG).

You guys finish top 2, you should be winning your QF and Prelim at the SCG and making a GF.

SCG doesn't suit us, we go alright there because it is our home ground.
We'll belt you at the MCG.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
SCG doesn't suit us, we go alright there because it is our home ground.
We'll belt you at the MCG.
You’ve beaten us at the ‘G once in 20 years. You also haven’t belted another top 8 side all year. You’re just being unnecessarily cocky now.

As I said, you’d struggle at the ‘G, you couldn’t even beat Essendon there a few weeks ago.

You’ve beaten us at the ‘G once in 20 years. You also haven’t belted another top 8 side all year. You’re just being unnecessarily cocky now.

As I said, you’d struggle at the ‘G, you couldn’t even beat Essendon there a few weeks ago.

Our young group have got ahead of themselves all year, we have lost to minnows all year (Port, Bombers, Suns, almost lost to North).
I would ignore all of that form, it is completely meaningless.
If you have listened to Horse for the last few weeks you would have noticed a theme.
Process. Process. Process. Process.
They've been getting it drummed into them to keep their heads in the game and the rest will follow.
Our form has been much more consistent lately.

But don't worry, Pies won 11 in a row and lost DeGoey and Adams and bla-bla-bla.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our young group have got ahead of themselves all year, we have lost to minnows all year (Port, Bombers, Suns, almost lost to North).
I would ignore all of that form, it is completely meaningless.
If you have listened to Horse for the last few weeks you would have noticed a theme.
Process. Process. Process. Process.
They've been getting it drummed into them to keep their heads in the game and the rest will follow.
Our form has been much more consistent lately.

But don't worry, Pies won 11 in a row and lost DeGoey and Adams and bla-bla-bla.
Anywho, ease up tiger, never good to get too ahead of yourself, it can only end in pain and suffering.

Pies and Blues match day thread - let’s keep it on topic. You’re backing the Blues by 7 goals. We’ll see how much of a good judge of footy you are on Sunday night.

Anywho, ease up tiger, never good to get too ahead of yourself, it can only end in pain and suffering.

Pies and Blues match day thread - let’s keep it on topic. You’re backing the Blues by 7 goals. We’ll see how much of a good judge of footy you are on Sunday night.

Oh I see, you're just salty that I rate the Blues.
It is just an opinion. IMO the Pies won't get within 7 goals of the Blues.
I wouldn't expect Pies fans to agree with me.
"You don't know what you're talking about" isn't an argument that refutes my opinion, it is just an ad-hom.

I have no fear of playing Collingwood in finals. Langdon was bang on the money. One-trick-pony are the Pies.
Blues on the other hand, we don't match up well with at all.
Yeah the Rd.10 game we virtually had you at arms length all game. You are right that we seem to match up well against you and it is weird how footy works like this as you guys I think are the better team.

Same with the Pies and Demons and the Dees have a woeful record against them.

Just strange at times regarding teams and hoodoos etc as the Saints we never seem to be able to beat most times and I rate us a hell of lot better than them.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Haven't been this excited for another side's game in a long time.

Just a shame we have to sit through the most boring Saturday in footy history to get from the Melbourne v Brisbane game to this one.
They should give Clarko the position now… that’d make Saturday night’s game more interesting for everyone!

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I am cautiously confident we can shock the AFL world and do this thing. We have a better % than them! No way do we deserve to finish the season 4 wins below them. If we lose we need the Hawks beating the Dogs to stay in the 8...yikes

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
McKay has 10-15 cms over Murphy and Howe.

Have they played that tall previously?
They’re regularly playing undersized and it’s a big issue for the Pies. We’ve only been playing Moore, Howe and Murphy as our ‘KPDs’ this season due to Roughead’s retirement and Dean’s injuries. Madgen was the other but the initial 3 are performing better.

We notice it weekly when looking at the opposition’s ins, it’s always an extra tall in to try and expose the Collingwood defence. Only issue is, barring Jezza/Hawk, there’s none as scary/clinical as Curnow/McKay.

Some are thinking McStay’s acquisition is to play that KPD role but who knows.

Oldmangrumpy

Senior List
Sep 16, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
The afl world is leaning towards the blues.
Perhaps their right , but the notion of being so far advanced as a team is a fallacy.
I have heard ppl say Collingwood are low skill since the early eighties but we have made them look foolish.
It accounts for our great consistent history.

Going to be a great game with upside for both teams.
Blues to grow next year and Pies to reportedly add 4 players that will compliment the backline and mids.

Good futures to build on the parity we share at almost equal wins after so many games against eachother.

Skull Face

Premiership Player
Aug 27, 2019
Australia
AFL Club
Carlton
Come on Chism don’t pull out the injury excuses early 😜

I’m sure the Pies would also love 3 of their starting centre bounce players in Grundy, Adams and JDG starting too!

Just playin’ but very hard to tip this one. Realistically, Pies should get the job done being the superior unit who’ve proven it all season long, but Pies Blues games are always 50/50.
Superior unit all season long? You guys dumped a game to West Coast in Victoria and were 4-5 early doors. You have some solid senior players who know how to get across the line in close ones but you don't have the cattle to blow anyone away which is why you lost to west coast and why you barely got over north melbourne.

If our midfield gets on top we can and will blow you out of the game, unlikely to happen with hewitt and kennedy not there to backup cripps and walsh but that's where the game gets decided.

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood
Superior unit all season long? You guys dumped a game to West Coast in Victoria and were 4-5 early doors. You have some solid senior players who know how to get across the line in close ones but you don't have the cattle to blow anyone away which is why you lost to west coast and why you barely got over north melbourne.

Yep, all season long. That’s why we’re 3 games clear and potentially 4 games clear of your mob if we win. Even if we lose, we’re still 2 games clear of your mob.

‘We have senior blokes who know how to get across the line’? Carlton doesn’t… how’s that our problem? 😂 you’re then acknowledging we’re a superior team then…?

Eagles kicked 14.3 that day to our 10.14. We play that game again 10 times and we win it 9/10. Not sure why you’re using one game out of 21 to form your opinion around why Collingwood has/hasn’t been more superior than Carlton this season.

You guys lost to the Crows, we beat them twice. Completely random, but I’ll add it in since you’re adding in random facts too.

Take a look at the ladder and see the W/L - that’s the reality of things. 3 game gap. If you were actually any better or at least equal to the Pies, there wouldn’t be a 3 game gap.

If our midfield gets on top we can and will blow you out of the game, unlikely to happen with hewitt and kennedy not there to backup cripps and walsh but that's where the game gets decided.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Xmas. If we play like we have for pretty much our whole season, we’ll beat the Blues a second time around. Hopefully we at least have JDG back. Him alone would give me confidence we’ll beat your mob without Adams and Grundy, our best clearance player and our starting ruckman.

Jackington

Back Flank Battler
Sep 23, 2021
State of Constant Anxiety
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
East Fremantle

Attachments

• D5A1DC77-F601-459B-8E8D-8F3484F31E6D.jpeg
    D5A1DC77-F601-459B-8E8D-8F3484F31E6D.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 28

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Take a look at the ladder and see the W/L - that’s the reality of things. 3 game gap. If you were actually any better or at least equal to the Pies, there wouldn’t be a 3 game gap.
So Pies are 3 games ahead of Carlton on the ladder, and beat them when we played them, but somehow Carlton have been superior to Collingwood over the course of the season?!?

Only in the mind of a deluded Carlton supporter...

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Oh I see, you're just salty that I rate the Blues.
It is just an opinion. IMO the Pies won't get within 7 goals of the Blues.
I wouldn't expect Pies fans to agree with me.
"You don't know what you're talking about" isn't an argument that refutes my opinion, it is just an ad-hom.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the saints roll you blokes , hope King doesn’t kick straight, as it will then be your mob out the top 4

The Fantom

All Australian
Jun 27, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Yep, all season long. That’s why we’re 3 games clear and potentially 4 games clear of your mob if we win. Even if we lose, we’re still 2 games clear of your mob.

‘We have senior blokes who know how to get across the line’? Carlton doesn’t… how’s that our problem? 😂 you’re then acknowledging we’re a superior team then…?

Eagles kicked 14.3 that day to our 10.14. We play that game again 10 times and we win it 9/10. Not sure why you’re using one game out of 21 to form your opinion around why Collingwood has/hasn’t been more superior than Carlton this season.

You guys lost to the Crows, we beat them twice. Completely random, but I’ll add it in since you’re adding in random facts too.

If ifs and buts were candies and nuts, we’d all have a Merry Xmas. If we play like we have for pretty much our whole season, we’ll beat the Blues a second time around. Hopefully we at least have JDG back. Him alone would give me confidence we’ll beat your mob without Adams and Grundy, our best clearance player and our starting ruckman.
10 wins under two goals… outstanding and unprecedented.

You were belted by both the Kangaroos and Essendoom for large portions of those games but you still managed to win. Hawks, GWS, Gold Cost…all bottom teams.

You beat us by 4pts on day we were undermanned… granted you played much better on the day but you couldn’t put us away.

Now lets turn those 10 (lucky) wins into a 50/50 situation which is a more balanced result, that then puts you at 40pts and not even in the 8.

But hey that’s not the case so enjoy where you are as you could make top 4…

I just don’t think you’re that good.

beerbandit

Club Legend
Mar 7, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood

You were belted by both the Kangaroos and Essendoom for large portions of those games but you still managed to win. Hawks, GWS, Gold Cost…all bottom teams.

You beat us by 4pts on day we were undermanned… granted you played much better on the day but you couldn’t put us away.

Now lets turn those 10 (lucky) wins into a 50/50 situation which is a more balanced result, that then puts you at 40pts and not even in the 8.

We will see on Sunday. 😉

Sep 14, 2005
AFL Club
Collingwood

In a 3rd alternative universe, if we’d also won the games we shouldn’t have lost in WCE (dominated them) and Cats (up by 6 goals late) we’d be outright 1st.

Unfortunately you don’t live your in alternate universe and I don’t live in mine.

In the real world, where you and I reside, Collingwood is 3 games clear of Carlton. We win on Sunday, we finish top 4 and 4 games clear of Carlton who’ll probably miss finals. That’s the reality my man.

Apr 27, 2014
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
This season we have a 104% team at 15-6 and a 107% team at 9-12. Those are crazy statistical anomalies. Some people might argue there is a "clutch" gene. But it is more like a poker tournament where some guy wins a ridiculous number of coin flip hands. It might bring in a big tournament in the short term but it is not sustainable and eventually corrects.

Of course their run might keep going or maybe the Sydney game was the start of the bubble bursting. After this our teams will either be on 16 and 12 wins respectively or 15 and 13. All the stats show the latter would be closer to reality than the former.

Also...it's possible we play 2 weeks in a row if we beat them and then stay 5th and 8th. That would be good for footy.

Back