Autopsy AFL 2022 Second Qualifying Final - Demons v Swans Fri Sept 2nd 7:50pm EST (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Dees by a goal or less

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • Swans by a goal or less

Votes: 6 3.9%
  • Dees by 7 - 20

Votes: 56 36.1%
  • Swans by 7 - 20

Votes: 50 32.3%
  • Dees by a lot

Votes: 22 14.2%
  • Swans by a lot

Votes: 9 5.8%
  • Draw

Votes: 2 1.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

35069C09-32D0-4768-B794-F7CA27697CE8.png
H&A Ladder Position
2ND V 3RD

AFL 2022 FINALS WEEK 1
SECOND QUALIFYING FINAL
MELBOURNE V SYDNEY
FRIDAY SEPTEMBER 2ND 7:50PM EST (MCG)

CLICK HERE TO JOIN THE 2022 BIGFOOTY OFFICIAL TIPPING COMP!

C4C09479-AA41-4EFA-A0A9-D0A4F59D5D60.png
TIPPING ON BIGFOOTY’S OWN SYSTEM
$1000 total prize money!
$500 first place and a spiffy medal
$300 second place
$200 third place
Weekly Premium Platinum memberships to be won!

Tipping proudly sponsored by
The Golden Ticket - for Medallion Club tickets

TEAMS

DEMONS

B: T.Rivers, H.Petty, S.May
HB: A.Brayshaw, J.Lever, M.Hibberd
C: J.Hunt, C.Oliver, J.Melksham
HF: C.Spargo, L.Jackson, E.Langdon
F: K.Pickett, B.Brown, A.Neal-Bullen
FOLL: M.Gawn, J.Viney, C.Petracca

I/C: C.Salem, J.Harmes, B.Fritsch, T.Sparrow
EMG: T.Bedford, J.Bowey, J.van Rooyen, J.Smith

IN: C.Salem
OUT: J.Bowey (omitted), J.Jordon (sub)

SWANS
B: D.Rampe, T.McCartin, N.Blakey
HB: J.Lloyd, P.McCartin, J.McInerney
C: E.Gulden, C.Warner, C.Mills
HF: I.Heeney, S.Reid, W.Hayward
F: T.Papley, L.Franklin, R.Clarke
FOLL: T.Hickey, L.Parker, J.Rowbotto

I/C: R.Fox, O.FLorent, L.McDonald, D.Stephens
EMG: C.Sinclair, H.Cunningham, H.McLean, B.Campbell

IN: Nil
OUT: S.Wicks (sub)

⬇️ Links to the Club Board tipping comps ⬇️

Last edited:

Lots of respect for the Swans, a very talented side. They always give us a hard time as well, expecting a close one.
The last two times these teams met, in my opinion the better team on the night lost both times.

Melbourne very lucky to get across the line in 2021. The least convincing win in the 9 game streak to start the season and many of the key indicators in Sydney’s favour.

Sydney lucky this year as Melbourne, without May (although Sydney without Franklin but had Logan McDonald having a big night to compensate) threw away chance after chance late, and let Sam Reid of all players tear them apart.

The last two times these teams met, in my opinion the better team on the night lost both times.

Melbourne very lucky to get across the line in 2021. The least convincing win in the 9 game streak to start the season and many of the key indicators in Sydney’s favour.

Sydney lucky this year as Melbourne, without May (although Sydney without Franklin but had Logan McDonald having a big night to compensate) threw away chance after chance late, and let Sam Reid of all players tear them apart.

I reckon you are remembering that 2nd game with red and blue glasses, cause my memory of that game is that the Swans were incredibly inaccurate missing multiple simple set shots and if they were converting as you would expect (somewhere around ~60%) should have won by more.

Either way will be interesting to see the re-match and how tactics may have changed.

I reckon you are remembering that 2nd game with red and blue glasses, cause my memory of that game is that the Swans were incredibly inaccurate missing multiple simple set shots and if they were converting as you would expect (somewhere around ~60%) should have won by more.

Either way will be interesting to see the re-match and how tactics may have changed.
If Melbourne bomb the ball long to their tall forwards, The McCartin brothers will have a field day, and the Swans will win. If Melbourne lower their eyes and hit up leading targets as they did against the Lions, I'm confident we'll win.

Don’t get sucked in to that game against Brisbane. Sydney will be a lot harder and then it gets tougher from there.
Melbourne IMO would have to be the best placed team going into finals. Have realised that you don't need to peak in June/July, but have done perfectly in finishing where they want to be, top 4, home finals.

They remind me very much of Richmond, timing their run after some experts "questioned" their in season form, but watch what happens now. I reckon you'll have a dominant finals series and blow some teams away.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most likely the winner wins the flag.
Geelong the best side by a long way this year. I know their September reputation of late, but they seem more steeled than previously. Structures are superb.

That being said, Sydney will rue not beating the Saints by enough to get the home final. Demons by 17.

Geelong the best side by a long way this year. I know their September reputation of late, but they seem more steeled than previously. Structures are superb.

That being said, Sydney will rue not beating the Saints by enough to get the home final. Demons by 17.
If Geelong don’t beat Collingwood, forget it. Won’t win the cup.

Melbourne IMO would have to be the best placed team going into finals. Have realised that you don't need to peak in June/July, but have done perfectly in finishing where they want to be, top 4, home finals.

They remind me very much of Richmond, timing their run after some experts "questioned" their in season form, but watch what happens now. I reckon you'll have a dominant finals series and blow some teams away.

Agree with your analysis. Demons have definitely been clicking this past month.

Last time Sydney and Melbourne played each other was round 12 where Sydney won 73 to 61.

Likely changes for the Swans in this game compared to Round 12

Ins
Buddy
Clarke
Hickey
Stephens

Out
Ronke
Amartey
Wicks
Ladhams

Just edited as I forgot Stephens and Ladhams.
Melbourne likely to be

Ins
May
Melksham
Hibberd
Rivers

Outs
Bowey
Mitch Brown
Bedford
Tomlinson
Jordon

I’d expect one of Bowey or Jordon to be medi sub, possibly Joel Smith.

Melbourne should have a significantly more experienced team, and a stronger team in. The main difference will be the backline which is vastly improved on the round 12 side.

In round 12 it was:
  • Tomlinson (too slow for AFL level this year coming off his knee)
  • Lever (was going through a horror patch of form at the time, also exposed with May missing and Petty getting injured in game for several games in a row)
  • Petty (from memory got injured with a shoulder early, only played 83% game time which is very low for him)
  • Salem (first game back after missing 11 weeks injured and is still yet to really hit his straps)
  • Hunt (in much better form now)
  • Bowey (was struggling a bit being asked to play as a genuine defender instead of an attacking distributor, ultimately dropped a month later)
  • Brayshaw (he played well that night)

Every position on form and/or ability should be an upgrade with the exception of Brayshaw who is now playing mid. Brayshaw playing mid weakens the backline a little, and the midfield too, but in turn strengthens the forward line from round 12 with Petracca spending less time mid and more at half forward.

Both clubs faced off in their very first VFL/AFL match in R1 1897, but have only managed 2 finals encounters ever since. This will be their 3rd final in 126 seasons.

1987 SF
Melbourne wins by 76 at MCG (80K, biggest non-GF crowd that season, those long-starved fans of both clubs)
of course, this was before the right to host finals outside Victoria

1936 PF
South Melb win by 26 at MCG (50K)

Interestingly, in 1936 the finishing positions were:

1. Collingwood
2. South
3. Melbourne
4. Carlton
5. Geelong
6. Richmond
Norf also bottom two

For this to happen you'd need: