Opinion AFL 2023 Finals Week 1 - Liked, Learnt, Hated FINALS EDITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane's Achilles heal will be playing very likely a Melbourne team on GF day at the MCG.

Would be great if they could overcome it though but anywhere outside the Gabba they are half a dozen goals less of a force.

Given we beat Melbourne in a final at the G last year with a side playing nowhere near the level of quality footy as we are this year, I don't think the club or players would be concerned in the slightest.

Yes, we did lose our two games there this year, but finals are a different ballgame and we are very, very ready.

Given we beat Melbourne in a final at the G last year with a side playing nowhere near the level of quality footy as we are this year, I don't think the club or players would be concerned in the slightest.

Yes, we did lose our two games there this year, but finals are a different ballgame and we are very, very ready.
Hoping so as I would much prefer Brisbane to win the flag than Collingwood.

I think playing the PF at the Gabba is just about the near certainty Lions make the GF, and if Pies do what they're expected to as well we're fairly odds on for a Collingwood Brisbane GF.

I'm sure it'd be a great story knocking off the Pies again 20 years later in another GF.

I think playing the PF at the Gabba is just about the near certainty Lions make the GF, and if Pies do what they're expected to as well we're fairly odds on for a Collingwood Brisbane GF.

I'm sure it'd be a great story knocking off the Pies again 20 years later in another GF.
images.jpeg-35.jpg

We match up on the Pies extremely well too. I hope it is a Collingwood v Brisbane GF - would be one hell of a game.

Won't happen.

Giants will crush the port and the magpies.
If that happened would the Fitzroy roots help the Lions in therms of generic Vic support in the GF or would the appeal of a maiden flag for the Giants sway the sense of history (obviously the second option would fall rather flat for those teams whose last flag (if any (Hi Dockers!)) came before 2012 ... Dons, Blues, Pies, Kangas, Crows, SAINTS, Port, Dockers etc) or is the memory of the three-peat still too strong?

If that happened would the Fitzroy roots help the Lions in therms of generic Vic support in the GF or would the appeal of a maiden flag for the Giants sway the sense of history (obviously the second option would fall rather flat for those teams whose last flag (if any (Hi Dockers!)) came before 2012 ... Dons, Blues, Pies, Kangas, Crows, SAINTS, Port, Dockers etc) or is the memory of the three-peat still too strong?
I think the Giants played the best footy on the weekend.
Frighteningly, Nathan Buckley agrees with me.

Pure logic, and appreciation of beauty, has ALL neutrals supporting Giants.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LIKED: The Brisbane Lions playing vintage, hard at it, attacking football in their victory against Port Adelaide.
LEARNED: Charlie Cameron has the capacity to make a massive defensive impact up the ground as well as inside 50. He crunched Horne-Francis in two devastating tackles on Saturday night, the first resulting in a long bomb goal to Cam Rayner in the second quarter.
HATED: The conduct of certain media commentators who immediately started trying to shape the narrative around Maynard’s hit on Brayshaw, by arguing that he was not responsible for the significant injury to Brayshaw, who was badly concussed and may miss weeks of football.
Concussion an issue AFL can’t afford to smother | Jonathan Horn

1694401868073.jpeg
“Collision la ligne de périmètre”

Last edited:
LIKED: The Brisbane Lions playing vintage, hard at it, attacking football in their victory against Port Adelaide.
LEARNED: Charlie Cameron has the capacity to make a massive defensive impact up the ground as well as inside 50. He crunched Horne- Francis in two devastating tackles on Saturday night, the first resulting in a long bomb goal to Cam Rayner in the second quarter.
HATED: The conduct of certain media commentators who immediately started trying to shape the narrative around Maynard’s hit on Brayshaw, by arguing that he was not responsible for the significant injury to Brayshaw, who was badly concussed and may miss weeks of football.

View attachment 1799838
“Haut la ligne de démarcation!”
Full points for the JPS reference.

LEARNED: Charlie Cameron has the capacity to make a massive defensive impact up the ground as well as inside 50. He crunched Horne-Francis in two devastating tackles on Saturday night, the first resulting in a long bomb goal to Cam Rayner in the second quarter.
Concussion an issue AFL can’t afford to smother | Jonathan Horn

View attachment 1799838
“Haut la ligne de démarcation!”

Our mid field is far more defensive oriented than it was, with Dunks and Charlie stepping up. Think Dunks laid a huge tackle on H-F as well but Charlie's was top shelf, and as you say led to Rayner's massive outside 50 goal.

Our mid field is far more defensive oriented than it was, with Dunks and Charlie stepping up. Think Dunks laid a huge tackle on H-F as well but Charlie's was top shelf, and as you say led to Rayner's massive outside 50 goal.
The attack on Horne-Francis had to be a pre-planned coaching directive.

Whats black and white and red all over.

Collingwood have been gifted a pretty easy draw this year, I feel they have overachieved as a result and Brisbane a good chance as a result.
Easy draw? Double ups against Geelong, Brisbane, Port and Carlton. Youre a hard marker

You wait till his mum hears about it!!
“Tonight on A Current Affair - Coach directs players to tackle AFL midfielder at every opportunity! A mother’s heartbreak.”

Easy draw? Double ups against Geelong, Brisbane, Port and Carlton. Youre a hard marker
For starts they get geelong both times at their home ground - most teams are scared of a double up against geelong - but not at the mcg and not so much this year.

Heres the draw with games against the top 8 teams highlighted.

Red : play interstate
Lilac : play interstate but not at their home ground
Blue : host interstate team
Yellow : host interstate team not at your home ground.
Green : neutral game

Out of port, collingwood and brions id take collingwoods draw hands down

BB03EFEA-D2C4-4BAD-8D70-AFC9B3BF199D.jpeg
4426F833-F85C-4DDC-86A8-909E10F1A4CC.jpeg C5F8B956-9403-4132-9350-376371BFC2C6.jpeg

Last edited:
For starts they get geelong both times at their home ground - most teams are scared of a double up against geelong - but not at the mcg and not so much this year.

Heres the draw with games against the top 8 teams highlighted.

Red : play interstate
Lilac : play interstate but not at their home ground
Blue : host interstate team
Yellow : host interstate team not at your home ground.
Green : neutral game

Out of port, collingwood and brooms id take collingwoods draw hands down

View attachment 1800118
View attachment 1800119View attachment 1800132
Yeah i agree with how easy our draw was. Played no one above us for months. Sorry i forgot what the colours represented half way through so thats the best rebuttal ive got

Yeah i agree with how easy our draw was. Played no one above us for months. Sorry i forgot what the colours represented half way through so thats the best rebuttal ive got
When your the best team in the comp, any draw looks easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back