Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 1 - Cats v Pies Fri March 17th 7:40pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Cats by a goal or less

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • Pies by a goal or less

Votes: 12 9.8%
  • Cats by 7 - 20

Votes: 41 33.6%
  • Pies by 7 - 20

Votes: 26 21.3%
  • Cats by a lot

Votes: 24 19.7%
  • Pies by a lot

Votes: 6 4.9%
  • Draw

Votes: 5 4.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

And Sydney and practically all teams… it is a very good game plan, I was just pointing out the reality that you give sides big looks during games due to the nature of your game plan. Which is why you never win by big margins, but it is equally effective against 14th as it is 1st.
To be fair you didn't score in the last term and only kicked 4 goals in the second half. The defensive aspect of our game tightened up while our offensive game continued.

And Sydney and practically all teams… it is a very good game plan, I was just pointing out the reality that you give sides big looks during games due to the nature of your game plan. Which is why you never win by big margins, but it is equally effective against 14th as it is 1st.
I reckon it’s not so much the game plan but implementation of the game plan which was why we gave sides big looks last year. First year under Fly and still getting to know each other and what he wants rolled out in games.

If anything, they showed in Round 1 it can blow sides away. With all due respect, but looking at any KPIs for the game, Pies well and truly dominated the Cats and their accuracy infront of goal kept them in the game and it was still a 4 goal margin in the end. Pies should’ve won by 6-7 goals.

To be fair you didn't score in the last term and only kicked 4 goals in the second half. The defensive aspect of our game tightened up while our offensive game continued.
We were buggered, wouldn’t read too much into that one, nobody on our board is diving too much into it. Dekoning was very sore with a tendinitis flare up, could play but was hampered, Stengle apparently very sore after the Howe collision and was struggling with his shoulder, and Stewart out took its toll eventually. We had no run in the tank. Not sure how you expect collingwood would have looked if you had no degoey playing, Darcy moore injured, Tom Murphy out, plus 3 more of your best22 defenders missing… but it is a lot to compensate. I think we literally had Isaac smith across HBF in the last quarter to try something new.

I am not surprised given we looked very ordinary early on last season as well, that last quarter Friday night reminded me of the last quarter against hawthorn last year Easter Monday… sure we can call it hawthorns wonderful defensive structures broke us down and that’s the reason we didn’t score… but we looked slow and just bombed the ball long all quarter. Very similar to this Friday nights game except against a better team.

I don’t expect us to be flying first half of the year, not even convinced we will win the flag as they are very hard B2B… but I am confident we will do better second half of year barring injuries.

I reckon it’s not so much the game plan but implementation of the game plan which was why we gave sides big looks last year. First year under Fly and still getting to know each other and what he wants rolled out in games.

If anything, they showed in Round 1 it can blow sides away. With all due respect, but looking at any KPIs for the game, Pies well and truly dominated the Cats and their accuracy infront of goal kept them in the game and it was still a 4 goal margin in the end. Pies should’ve won by 6-7 goals.
You smashed us in every stat and It was just our game plan that kept us in the game the first half, our transition footy that got us going last year. Beyond that we were hanging on by a thread.

You have a game plan that is an extreme full 18 man press that is very very high up the field..

essentially collingwood pressure manically the ball carrier and try to impact those 1-2 handballs and link ups, and are happy to sacrifice numbers behind the ball and back themselves in to cause a turnover around the ball and if it does get through, they hope it is a high long bomb so players like moore and Murphy can cut across and play the angles to intercept.

That is obviously extremely hard to maintain at a manic level for four quarters of footy, so naturally teams get through for periods of play and get collingwood out the back with precision kicks into an open goal.

Your style of play is not going to see big 10 goal wins, but it is consistently effective

Henry couldn’t get a game in 2022 and wouldn’t get a game with us in 2023. He’s old news. McInnes will be a much better and more complete player.
So why the angst about him wanting to leave? He was clearly out of favour with your coach

He could play it out but he was limited. The other 6 or so best 22 players out obviously are going to come back slowly over the season.
As was Adams. The excuses of the other 6 (debatable) are weak. As I said earlier, Collingwood made a GF in 2018 with a horrendous injury list and no key defenders. If your team is good enough they should be able to perform, regardless of the injury list. Unless you have multiple top 5 players out, it’s not an excuse.
You can get excited over rnd1, we will take a bit of time to ease into things and get our best side out there.
I’m pleased with the way my team performed, as you would have been if you’d won. Don’t pretend otherwise.

As was Adams. The excuses of the other 6 (debatable) are weak. As I said earlier, Collingwood made a GF in 2018 with a horrendous injury list and no key defenders. If your team is good enough they should be able to perform, regardless of the injury list. Unless you have multiple top 5 players out, it’s not an excuse.

I’m pleased with the way my team performed, as you would have been if you’d won. Don’t pretend otherwise.
What happened to adams? Don’t recall anything. You basically had your entire best 22 out there as it’s even being debated if ginnivan will be back b22, only lipinski out of any significance. Which is great for you guys and a healthy spot to be in.

You lost the 2018 grand final, probably courtesy of your injuries in the end as you rightfully put it, and the bigger picture being that Richmond choked. I think most would agree Richmond would have won that game had it been played 10 times probably 9/10 times.. you just got them an off night in 18.

Players who leave other clubs to go to collingwood are considered heroes, players who leave collingwood are horrible who should be abused. Different rules
Started with Nathan Buckley.

What happened to adams? Don’t recall anything. You basically had your entire best 22 out there as it’s even being debated if ginnivan will be back b22, only lipinski out of any significance. Which is great for you guys and a healthy spot to be in.
Lol, please don’t try to pretend that Ginnivan, a forward who kicked 40 goals last year being out was of no significance, while honest toilers like Jack Henry and KK are significant outs that can’t be overcome.
Adams hurt his foot and came back on, his output was much lower than usual. Much like SDK.
You lost the 2018 grand final, probably courtesy of your injuries in the end as you rightfully put it, and the bigger picture being that Richmond choked. I think most would agree Richmond would have won that game had it been played 10 times probably 9/10 times.. you just got them an off night in 18.
We lost the 2018 grand final by a couple of points, which can be attributed to several things that happened in game day. We made the big dance with that team, injuries were never used as an excuse. And piss off with “Richmond choked”, they were thoroughly outplayed on the night, it’s not as if they played to a significantly lower standard than they had for the rest of the year.

Lol, please don’t try to pretend that Ginnivan, a forward who kicked 40 goals last year being out was of no significance, while honest toilers like Jack Henry and KK are significant outs that can’t be overcome.
Adams hurt his foot and came back on, his output was much lower than usual. Much like SDK.
Lipinski would have been handy as well.

But because we don't carry on before and after our games telling anyone and everyone about our injuries, they don't exist.

We lost the 2018 grand final by a couple of points, which can be attributed to several things that happened in game day. We made the big dance with that team, injuries were never used as an excuse. And piss off with “Richmond choked”, they were thoroughly outplayed on the night, it’s not as if they played to a significantly lower standard than they had for the rest of the year.

Wait what? Henry Kolo Duncan are massive outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Context: geelong had 5/6 of its best defenders out injured or playing injured (dekoning).

In fact we had 8 of our best 22 players missing.

There is your context.

Enjoy rnd1. We will see you again when the real deal happens later on.

Oh and.. we all know what happens when geelong and collingwood meet in finals when it counts
8 of your best 22 HAHAHAHAHA

Have you counted Ablett, Stevie J, Polly Farmer and Joe mama by mistake?

Back