Autopsy AFL 2023 Round 1 - Demons v Dogs Sat March 18th 7:25pm AEDT (MCG)

Who will win and by how much?

• Demons by a goal or less

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Dogs by a goal or less

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • Demons by 7 - 20

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Dogs by 7 - 20

Votes: 27 31.0%
  • Demons by a lot

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Dogs by a lot

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Draw

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Sorry but Lobb is a contested marking threat and can play multiple positions. He's also younger, averages more goals and just played his best season to date.
Not sure how McDonald would be an upgrade.

Darcy, Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are going to be one of the most formidable trio's we have seen in a long time. All 6ft'6+ and more importantly, all ridiculously athletic.
Lobb is there to help the development process as one of those young boys will take a couple of years to really put it all together.
What a load of Tommy rot! How many decent seasons of football has Lobb or JUH put together? McDonald was absolutely huge in our premiership year and has been a consistent performer for a long time now.

Lobb is not there to help the development process, you recruit a bloke in the last year or two of his career like Jack Riewoldt to play that role for a pittance.

Lobb hasn’t done diddly squat in his career. McDonald looks like Lance Franklin next to him. JUH has got so far to go to be even considered a ‘good’ player. All we’ve seen from him is tiny glimpses of talent in between big bouts of being very unfit and not dealing with a decent defender. We didn’t even have May out there, or Salem. We’d have won by 13 goals if those two played.

Naughton is their only reliable key forward.

What a load of Tommy rot! How many decent seasons of football has Lobb or JUH put together? McDonald was absolutely huge in our premiership year and has been a consistent performer for a long time now.

Lobb is not there to help the development process, you recruit a bloke in the last year or two of his career like Jack Riewoldt to play that role for a pittance.

Lobb hasn’t done diddly squat in his career. McDonald looks like Lance Franklin next to him. JUH has got so far to go to be even considered a ‘good’ player. All we’ve seen from him is tiny glimpses of talent in between big bouts of being very unfit and not dealing with a decent defender. We didn’t even have May out there, or Salem. We’d have won by 13 goals if those two played.

Naughton is their only reliable key forward.

Why are you bringing up Ugle-Hagan? Kids played 22 games, I don't think he has this massively high ceiling but it's far too early to write him off.

Couldn't give a stuff about Lobb. He's always been pathetic.
I just laugh at your comments about McDonald being some kind of star when he clearly never has.
When you quote someone make sure the person you quote actually made the post because you clearly f***ed it up.

Also nobody called him a star, he's merely a good forward unlike Lobb.

When you quote someone make sure the person you quote actually made the post because you clearly f***ed it up.
Fuc*ed what up?
I said Darcy, Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are going to be a formidable trio for the best part of a decade.

You idiots have taken what I said about Lobb>McDonald and somehow made it out as though I said he's a gun or something.

McDonald/Brown are a terrible forward combo. You would have won at least two flags by now if you had decent targets.

Fuc*ed what up?
I said Darcy, Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are going to be a formidable trio for the best part of a decade.

You idiots have taken what I said about Lobb>McDonald and somehow made it out as though I said he's a gun or something.

McDonald/Brown are a terrible forward combo. You would have won at least two flags by now if you had decent targets.

You quoted me and put someone elses post in there you potato.

They were easily good enough in 2021 and McDonald was injured and not playing in the second half of 2022.

You quoted me and put someone elses post in there you potato.

They were easily good enough in 2021 and McDonald was injured and not playing in the second half of 2022.

No, 30 goals as a your primary key forward is bloody terrible mate!
Even worse, Sideshow gave you 1 single shot on goal in two finals and you are seriously going to tell me that is good enough :think:

Fuc*ed what up?

The very fact you stated Lobb was better than McDonald was what was comical. It just isn’t the case.

The whole concept of him, Lobb and Naughton being formidable really made me laugh.

I never said Lobb would be formidable
You are again lying through your teeth.

I don't know what it is about Melbourne supporters as you despise any club who have quality young players and hate acknowledging it.
Always has to come back to your own club and players. McDonald and Sideshow Bob being talked up by a select few is what's really comical.
You never fired a shot last year in the finals because of your woeful kpf stocks. Brown, McDonald (always injured or spudding it up when he's not) and of course the great white hope Weideman.

Its going to be infuriating listening to you lot this year. Clearly a top four team but I'm certain it won't be because of your key forwards.

I don't know what it is about Melbourne supporters as you despise any club who have quality young players and hate acknowledging it.
Always has to come back to your own club and players. McDonald and Sideshow Bob being talked up by a select few is what's really comical.
You never fired a shot last year in the finals because of your woeful kpf stocks. Brown, McDonald (always injured or spudding it up when he's not) and of course the great white hope Weideman.

It’s going to be infuriating listening to you lot this year. Clearly a top four team but I'm certain it won't be because of your key forwards.
I think you did…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you did…

QUOTE:
Sorry but Lobb is a contested marking threat and can play multiple positions. He's also younger, averages more goals and just played his best season to date.

Darcy, Ugle-Hagan and Naughton are going to be one of the most formidable trio's we have seen in a long time. All 6ft'6+ and more importantly, all ridiculously athletic.
Lobb is there to help the development process as one of those young boys will take a couple of years to really put it all together.

Learn to read you moron!

Learn to read you moron!
The fact you think Lobb was recruited to help the development process just shows how clueless you are…

Its going to be infuriating listening to you lot this year. Clearly a top four team but I'm certain it won't be because of your key forwards.

F*** me you're a brain-dead potato, nobody talked up Brown/McDonald. I merely said they were good enough to win a flag which is correct, also spuds don't kick 50 goals in a season.

One more also is your moronic exaggeration off the back of one Melbourne supporter regarding Ugle-Hagan.

Learn to read you moron!

Ironic given you can barely quote posts.

The fact you think Lobb was recruited to help the development process just shows how clueless you are…

Darcy is not going to be playing every game. He's too raw and inexperienced. He will be managed slowly over the next couple of years as he's the future.
So yes, getting Lobb for a fairly bargain price is about development.

also spuds don't kick 50 goals in a season.

Kent Kingsley, Joel Anthony, Kurt Tippett, Tory Dickson, Josh Bruce must be legends then. Fu*k, the list goes on and on for legendary players who achieved it.

Darcy is not going to be playing every game. He's too raw and inexperienced. He will be managed slowly over the next couple of years as he's the future.
So yes, getting Lobb for a fairly bargain price is about development.

Kent Kingsley, Joel Anthony, Kurt Tippett, Tory Dickson, Josh Bruce must be legends then. Fu*k, the list goes on and on for legendary players who achieved it.
Well then the WB have serious issues. Worse than what Melbourne’s forward line issues ever were.

Well then the WB have serious issues. Worse than what Melbourne’s forward line issues ever were.

Not really.
You clearly have no idea how long it takes key position players to develop. This is about 2025 and beyond. 20 yr old kpp's usually don't do anything until they start hitting 60, 80 games.

And I reiterate, if you got something, anything out of Brown or Weideman in the finals last year, you may have gone through to another grand final. So yeh' your forward line is the only glaring weakness. It's what will prevent you from cashing in again during Gawn's final years of footy.

Not really.
You clearly have no idea how long it takes key position players to develop. This is about 2025 and beyond. 20 yr old kpp's usually don't do anything until they start hitting 60, 80 games.

And I reiterate, if you got something, anything out of Brown or Weideman in the finals last year, you may have gone through to another grand final. So yeh' your forward line is the only glaring weakness. It's what will prevent you from cashing in again during Gawn's final years of footy.
I am really not concerned about Melbourne. They’ll be top 4 minimum and pushing for the flag. If the WB need to be banking on two kids to take them to the next level then might as well start a rebuild now.

I know exactly how long it takes. My point is that getting a supportive KPF means they are basically shot and aren’t threatening for a minimum of 3-4 years.

Further proving that you're not bright, so it's either spud or legend for you with nothing in between? You're an embarrassment.

Very happy with that. 4 best 22 premiership players out. That gave the dogs a real chance. But the extra tall foraged line didn’t work. Lever cut so much off and read the play beautifully last night. Trac turned the game in that 10 minute burst. Gawn and Pickett were awesome too.
I really loved seeing the Dees pressure back and the defensive unit functioning back to its best too.
A bit of work to do for the dogs. It’s only round one and they’ll tinker with the team as they are better than that.

Interesting how highly Melb supporters rate Hunters offensive transition - as a dogs supporter and a big fan of Hunter over the years, he was an absolute gun at his short-lived best. But even in his BNF year he never once ‘torched an opposition with transition’. Couldn’t be further from the type of player he is tbh, I think Melb supporters are in for a bit of a shock there if that’s what they’re expecting when the real stuff starts.

In saying that if he finds his best he’ll be a great pick up for you, I genuinely hope he gets himself sorted

Also you may be able to cover Naughton, but can you cover Naughton, Lobb, Marra & Darcy? Will definitely make your talls accountable and make it harder for them to back each other up as they usually do so well.

At the other end of the ground I think Jones & Keath will have an easier time with Brown & McDonald. Fritsch the danger man who always seems to get us.

This game will come down to the midfield battle but honestly if we’re somewhat competitive in the middle, I think our forward line will be too potent for you. Should be a cracker
The thing with Hunter, we don't need him to be a superstar, we are IMHO a good team, he just needs to play a role, so when I talk about torching with transition I am talking about the whole team doing the torching, not just Hunter.

So we had Lever decide to turn in a masterclass, Gawn played his 3rd best game ever, and our mids>your mids, and our back 6 proved they are the class to beat in 2023. we'll go <1600 points for a 23 game season I think with this crew. Tmac showed why he is structurally so important for us.

Bailey Smith also proved himself to be a class act after Pickett nearly murdered him, mad respect.

Lobb NQR, bloody unfair for you guys to lose Jones, he fills a big hole in your D50.

Back